It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muhammad is most popular boys name in England and Wales

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Maybe I didn't mean it in so much of a literal sense but it's the concept that I don't agree with, I've never been so couldn't say for sure but I'm fairly certain they don't have English food aisles in Polish supermarkets?

A logical fallacy.

Firstly "most" supermarkets do not have a Polish section. In Wokingham, were I live, neither Tesco's, Waitrose, Morrisons or M&S has any polish food. However, the Tesco's in reading, 7 miles up the road, do. It's whatever sells. If martians moved in and there was a market, I would bet my life Tesco's would do a martian food aisle.

Scondly, how many UK people move to Poland? If the answer is "not many", why then would their supermarkets stock British food? It doesn't make economic sense!

As I said, it's the concept that I don't agree with, a large number of polish people have entered this country illegally to work for cheap labour and then send that money back home where it almost trebles

Not a single Pole is here illegally. Why you keep harping on about that I do not know.

Not to mention the companies who will happily employ a polish citizen over an Englishman and knowing full well that they'll accept half the wage.

Bollocks. Minimum wage laws apply and if an Englishman feels that he has lost out due to be undercut (illegally) by a Pole, then he can complain to the relevant authorites. If they don't and just whine about it down the pub, then I have no sympathy. Too many people are happy to complain, either about immigration or their erights, while doing nothing about it or actually using the rights they have.

What about the English people in this country who are having a hard time? Where is the support for them?

Where I live there is an estate nearby full to the brim of nothing but white people. Mostly unemployed, on benefits and seemingly doing well out of it. They certainly have bigger cars and TV's than I do..

What was your point again?

The UK seems to favour foreign nationals over it's own citizens, maybe you would have to live here to understand but that's certainly the way it feels at times.

Only if you haven't a clue or convince yourself that what you say is true.

I'm all for multiculturalism and all that but when I can't fly a Union Jack flag out of my window in my country for fear of offending people from other religions?

Again, utter bollocks. Before I moved to "well to do" Wokingham, I lived in central Reading where there is a massive Polish and Muslim poulation. I flew St Georges cross and the Union flag ALL year round, not just when the football was on like the fair-weather nationalists and not once was anyone "offended" nor was I told I wasn't allowed.

Where is it written that flying your flag is forbidden?

Like I said, we have lost our identity

Have we? British identity is alive and well, you just have to know what to look for. Go into the country, out of the big cities and you will see rural England at it's finest.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

Read my sig.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

How on earth is this proof that immigration has gone too far? This is just the naming of baby boys FF sake!

you haven't even analysed the evidence.
what percentage of baby mohammeds are Muslim? It could be simply that people like the name. Its a nice name!
As are jack, Harry and alfie, alll in the top ten.
Why does this mean it has gone too far? Is there a limit on the reasonable number of mohammeds in any secular society?
Perhaps more Muslims are naming their child mohammed than other traditional Muslim names, a swell in fashion rather than any significant increase in Muslim population.

This goes nowhere to prove there is any problem, other than to ignorami who don't like people called mohammed!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
To all of the people saying they don't believe it because its from the Daily Mail you're wrong its actually from The Office for National Statistics, the Daily Mail and others just reported it. You're blaming the messenger.

www.christian.org.uk... (I guess you'll say but this link is Christian, but again THEY ARE REPORTING ON THE ONS figures they aren't inventing them).

Its true the Daily Mail did combine all variants of spelling of Mohammed so you might say they have an agenda but The Guardian combined all the variants of Oliver (eg Oli) together to keep Mohammed off the top of their list. So they all have agendas.

The point is that Muslims are not having 2.5% of the new borns in Britian (an argument some of you have made) they are growing at 10 times the rate of non-Muslims.

www.timesonline.co.uk...
wondersofpakistan.wordpress.com...
www.snopes.com...

"Overall, Muslims account for three per cent of the population, about 1.5 million people. However, the Muslim birth rate is roughly three times higher than the non-Muslim one."

www.express.co.uk... -migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among -migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among -migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-Baby-boom-among -migrants-Baby-boom-among-migrants-#

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Muhammad is a name widely-used in the Middle east countries in my impression,and i can't understand why it is now a trend in Britain .

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
one fact that " studies " likle this ignore is the " style " of moslem names - which favors mohamed above all other names , mohamed does not wax and wane in poplarity unlike western names .

i am surprised that oliver is the most comon western name - i can only blame the influence of that annoying mockney twunt who plays with food

now a long time ago i was in a tutorial group at school with 3 moslems :

mohamed iqubal khan
mohamed javed khan
mohamed sedak khan

none were related and appologies for the spellings , but see a patern there ?

according to the daily fail - they are all called mohamed - right ?

technically yes - but is largley silent - we never addressed the as " mohamed "

thsat is why this is an irrelevant "none story "

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Let me guess.

The OP has red curly hair, abnormally large front teeth, and at least 3 friends named Brantley.

You gingers are everywhere!! AhhhH!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Sorry, I am not picking on you, but thought I'd offer some perspective..

As I said earlier, my newest son is called Finly. I wanted to call him Charlie, mainly because my daughter is Alannah and my other son is Bailey, so a "C" would have been logical. The missus won out though and got Finley instead..

Anyhoo, the kids have a cousin called Harry (5 years old) and there is an Alfie in my eldest sons class...

The names do exist and are in common usage.

Charlie, Bailey, Finly and Alannah are not common names names in the UK.

Just because you have named your children using those names doesn't automatically mean they are common usage.

Firstly "most" supermarkets do not have a Polish section.

Really?

UK: Morrisons expands Polish offering

Tesco

There's even an aisle for Polish food at Asda

Supermarkets covet Polish spend

I guess I must have missed something...

Not a single Pole is here illegally. Why you keep harping on about that I do not know.

Because they all left the country

Bollocks. Minimum wage laws apply and if an Englishman feels that he has lost out due to be undercut (illegally) by a Pole, then he can complain to the relevant authorites. If they don't and just whine about it down the pub, then I have no sympathy. Too many people are happy to complain, either about immigration or their erights, while doing nothing about it or actually using the rights they have.

I agree with you on this one, of course someone should do something about it if they found themselves in that situation.

Only if you haven't a clue or convince yourself that what you say is true.

I know the government favours foreign nationals over it's own citizens, from experience.

Again, utter bollocks. Before I moved to "well to do" Wokingham, I lived in central Reading where there is a massive Polish and Muslim poulation. I flew St Georges cross and the Union flag ALL year round, not just when the football was on like the fair-weather nationalists and not once was anyone "offended" nor was I told I wasn't allowed. Where is it written that flying your flag is forbidden?

And since when was central Reading an accurate representation of the whole country? I'm entirely sure you heard about the controversy I'm talking about here, your either acting dumb to support your argument or you live a very sheltered life away from the media.

Have we? British identity is alive and well, you just have to know what to look for. Go into the country, out of the big cities and you will see rural England at it's finest

That's an matter of opinion I suppose,

Has Britain Lost It's Identity?
edit on 29/10/10 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Charlie, Bailey, Finly and Alannah are not common names names in the UK.

Just because you have named your children using those names doesn't automatically mean they are common usage.

Hang on, weren't you the one saying "I don't know any kids called X, Y and Z so therefore they are not common?

I could quite easily turn around and say the exact thing you just said back at you.

"Just because you don't know any children using those names doesn't automatically mean they are not in common usage."

Really?

UK: Morrisons expands Polish offering

Tesco

There's even an aisle for Polish food at Asda

Supermarkets covet Polish spend

I guess I must have missed something...

Yes, you did miss something! You selectively quoted half a sentence out of a paragraph I said to try and prove your point.

If you actually read/quote the entire paragraph, I clearly said it depends on the area, so therefore it cannot be ALL supermarkets, can it?

I even provided examples of all the major chains were I live that DO NOT have Polish aisles, whereas ones in the next town over do. It is highly localised and only stores that would have significant Polish customers would logically stock Polish goods.

Because they all left the country

Er, what?

I agree with you on this one, of course someone should do something about it if they found themselves in that situation.

Glad we can agree on that point.

I know the government favours foreign nationals over it's own citizens, from experience.

Labour did, but they aren't the Government anymore and are not likely to be for quite some time. They openly admitted opening the doors to immigration in an attempt to socially engineer the country.

And since when was central Reading an accurate representation of the whole country? I'm entirely sure you heard about the controversy I'm talking about here, your either acting dumb to support your argument or you live a very sheltered life away from the media.

Since when is where your from an accurate representation? You're harping on about things you cannot do where you live, but when I provide examples of my own experience that refute your xenophobic nonsese it is suddenly invalid because it isn't representative?

The whole "cannot fly an england flag" thing is totally misrepresented in the media, such as the Daily Mail, to get people like you all riled up. The reality is so few instances of people being asked to remove flags (when there is no legal basis to comply) that it is really only an anomaly and usually left-wing jobsworths on the council overstepping their bounds.

I will reitterate that this whole legend about not being allowed to fly your flag is utter garbage. I have, do and forever will fly the flag in some form and no one has yet to complain ir ask me to remove it. If they did, they would be met with a flat, "No!". There is not a law in the Land that can stop me flying the flag and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

That's an matter of opinion I suppose,

[url=http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/37765/editby]

Ah, the Express. Another quirky rag that thinks the whole of the UK's culture and history died with Diana and that she was the font of all that was well and good in the world, which is now shrouded in darkness due to her untimely passing....

They're as bad as the Mail... As I said, why not actually go out into the wider country and actually experience something for yourself instead of reading right/left wing rags and getting angry over non-issues?

edit on 29/10/10 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well to be fair the west invaded the east first lol lets just call it karma

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Hang on, weren't you the one saying "I don't know any kids called X, Y and Z so therefore they are not common?

I could quite easily turn around and say the exact thing you just said back at you.

"Just because you don't know any children using those names doesn't automatically mean they are not in common usage."

Well I see your point, but either way, I'm willing to bet that those names are in the minority not the majority which makes your idea about them being "common usage" incorrect.

If you actually read/quote the entire paragraph, I clearly said it depends on the area, so therefore it cannot be ALL supermarkets, can it?

Once again, why do you seem to think the area you live in is the centre of the UK?

Just because it isn't like that in your area doesn't mean it isn't in others, pretty easy to understand....

Er, what?

After the Polish economy picked up the majority went home.

Glad we can agree on that point.

Me too.

Labour did, but they aren't the Government anymore and are not likely to be for quite some time. They openly admitted opening the doors to immigration in an attempt to socially engineer the country.

I agree.

Since when is where your from an accurate representation? You're harping on about things you cannot do where you live, but when I provide examples of my own experience that refute your xenophobic nonsese it is suddenly invalid because it isn't representative? The whole "cannot fly an england flag" thing is totally misrepresented in the media, such as the Daily Mail, to get people like you all riled up. The reality is so few instances of people being asked to remove flags (when there is no legal basis to comply) that it is really only an anomaly and usually left-wing jobsworths on the council overstepping their bounds. I will reitterate that this whole legend about not being allowed to fly your flag is utter garbage. I have, do and forever will fly the flag in some form and no one has yet to complain ir ask me to remove it. If they did, they would be met with a flat, "No!". There is not a law in the Land that can stop me flying the flag and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

Once again, while I'm not refuting your opinions or the actions of your local community, but your contradicting yourself here, am I not allowed to provide examples of where I live?

It doesn't matter if there are few and far between examples of people being asked to remove flags, the whole principle is wrong i.e. it shouldn't happen anywhere. Although, I praise your determination for sticking up for your beliefs and standing up for whats right.

They're as bad as the Mail... As I said, why not actually go out into the wider country and actually experience something for yourself instead of reading right/left wing rags and getting angry over non-issues?

Maybe I should. But it still doesn't change the fact that I think the UK, as a whole, is losing it's identity...

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Well I see your point, but either way, I'm willing to bet that those names are in the minority not the majority which makes your idea about them being "common usage" incorrect.

You know, it's wierd. Those names were chosen precisely because we thought they were unique. But it's like you only notice pregnant people when you're pregnant, or only notice a certain car when you get one yourself. I now notice alot of people both in RL and in film/TV who seem to have these names, but prior to that I wouldn't have noticed.

Once again, why do you seem to think the area you live in is the centre of the UK?

Just because it isn't like that in your area doesn't mean it isn't in others, pretty easy to understand..

That is precisely the point I was making though dude! It completely depends on your area, so by that definition it cannot be ALL supermarkets!..

After the Polish economy picked up the majority went home.

And when ours tanked....

Once again, while I'm not refuting your opinions or the actions of your local community, but your contradicting yourself here, am I not allowed to provide examples of where I live?

Yes, of course, but I was trying to dispel the notion that this wierd occurence was national or even law. It is usually highly isolated, usually in Labour-run council area and totally unjustified legally.

It doesn't matter if there are few and far between examples of people being asked to remove flags, the whole principle is wrong i.e. it shouldn't happen anywhere.

Indeed, but it isn't law and if the people who were "told" to remove flags had actually stuck up for their rights instead of kow-towing and then whinging to the Mail, it would never happen!

Although, I praise your determination for sticking up for your beliefs and standing up for whats right.

Thankyou. I love England and believe it is still the great country it has been known as before, except it is slightly grubby and could do with a bit of polish and some pulling up of our socks.

Maybe I should. But it still doesn't change the fact that I think the UK, as a whole, is losing it's identity...

Only if we let it! Which is why I was appealing for you to go out, go to county fayres, go to village fete's, see how the REAL England works, not the England that resides inside the grubby urban area's. which in all honesty have always been a bit crap. Tis why I left Reading!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'm not going to quote you back fella because I reckon that apart from a few disagreements on semantics we more or less agree on the same principles and it seems we are disagreeing on petty issues, however your right in what you have said in the sense that my reasonings could be used against me and yours vice versa i.e. regarding the supermarkets etc

Peace

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Fair do's and I'd agree! Don't get me wrong, however, I am concerned with the level of immigration but we shouldn't let certain sections of the media fan the flames. Deal with the facts and we're all on solid ground.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Maybe I didn't mean it in so much of a literal sense but it's the concept that I don't agree with, I've never been so couldn't say for sure but I'm fairly certain they don't have English food aisles in Polish supermarkets?

As I said, it's the concept that I don't agree with, a large number of polish people have entered this country illegally to work for cheap labour and then send that money back home where it almost trebles.

Not to mention the companies who will happily employ a polish citizen over an Englishman and knowing full well that they'll accept half the wage.

What about the English people in this country who are having a hard time? Where is the support for them?

The UK seems to favour foreign nationals over it's own citizens, maybe you would have to live here to understand but that's certainly the way it feels at times.

I'm all for multiculturalism and all that but when I can't fly a Union Jack flag out of my window in my country for fear of offending people from other religions?

Like I said, we have lost our identity.
edit on 28/10/10 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/10/10 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

well said Death -Kron my friend i could
not agree more,this country has gone
to pieces and it will get worse.

but not where the wealthy politicians etc live
NO WAY! not in our back yard they say.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

edit on 30-10-2010 by Gooseygander because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthyaroura

Rubbish

I work in construction , and have employed labor for the last 20 years i have worked for subbie, main contractors and balfour beatty

I work on the Olympics and the london minimum wage applied there so they all paid well. The skilled english are the best in the world full stop. The unskilled english labour are the not all but they unmotivated, you have to tell them to work. The poles the others ask you for work................ trust me i pay they wages, REMEMBER I SAID THE SKILLED ENGLISH ARE THE BEST before you flame. The unskilled are replaced by harder working hunam beings.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthyaroura

Rubbish

I work in construction , and have employed labor for the last 20 years i have worked for subbie, main contractors and balfour beatty

I work on the Olympics and the london minimum wage applied there so they all paid well. The skilled english are the best in the world full stop. The unskilled english labour are mostlyy unmotivated big generalisation and sorry for it, you have to tell them to work , ps you dont have to tell a singh to work. The poles the others ask you for work................ trust me i pay they wages, REMEMBER I SAID THE SKILLED ENGLISH ARE THE BEST before you flame. The unskilled are replaced by harder working human beings, i dont care aslong as they legal where they come from. I been with osborne, mcgees, careys, mowlems, fitzs, macapline,Balfour Beat, costain,
Skanska, etc

I am with O rourke atm

ps wasnt sacked left for more money btw

ps I am not your enemy so dont make me yours

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Whenever I've worked with Poles they have always worked extremely hard, so much so that they are hated for it! I met guy who stole his bosses shoes just to get the Poles in trouble.. Think it may have backfired though

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The queen isn't even pure English, the whole Windsor blood line is German, they changed the name for all the sheepies , and her husband is from where ?

I hope someone said this before me

ps - so what does make make the future king charles, some of you all time brits more worthy than him surely.

edit on 31-10-2010 by Gooseygander because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join