It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Putting a Cell Phone in Your Pocket a Health Risk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Article

We are a nation grown numb to the seemingly endless fine print that accompanies our purchases. But every now and then a product is sold with a warning that should command attention. Consider the little-noticed bit of legalese that comes in the safety manual for Apple's iPhone 4: "When using iPhone near your body for voice calls or for wireless data transmission over a cellular network, keep iPhone at least 15 mm (5/8 inch) away from the body, and only use carrying cases, belt clips, or holders that do not have metal parts and that maintain at least 15 mm (5/8 inch) separation between iPhone and the body," the warning reads.

Similar warnings against carrying cellular and smart phones in a closely sewn pocket show up throughout the industry. The safety manual for Research in Motion's BlackBerry 9000 phone tells users that they may violate Federal Communications Commission (FCC) guidelines for radio-frequency energy exposure by carrying the phone outside a holster and within 0.98 inches (2.5 cm) of their body. The safety manual of the Motorola W180 phone tells users to always keep the active device one full inch away from their body, if not using a company-approved "clip, holder, holster, case or body harness."

The FCC notes on its websites that studies linking radio-frequency exposure and cancer "have been inconclusive." The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which has primary responsibility for monitoring the health science of cellular phones, has stated that it cannot rule out the possibility of a health risk from phones, but if such a risk exists, "it is probably small." One recent study found that people who used their phones most often and for the longest period of time - 30 minutes a day or more on average for at least 10 years - had a substantially higher risk of developing some form of brain cancer, but the study also found that those who rarely used cellular phones had a lower risk than those who used only corded phones.

I dont really know what to think about this. I dont really think having a cell phone in your pocket is that much of a health risk. Maybe after further testing in the future, then we will have more conclusive results, but I would think that there is very little risk so far.

I can see how pressing a cell phone up to your ear for extended periods of time can be health hazardous, but just carrying it around in your pocket is something different than that.

Just thought Id share this.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
I can see how pressing a cell phone up to your ear for extended periods of time can be health hazardous, but just carrying it around in your pocket is something different than that

Do you spend more time talking on the phone or carrying it?

If carrying it then that area is more likely to be targeted if dangerous waves are isolated around the unit.

Plus near your trouser pocket is where babies are made.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I am what you would call a "love bird"
I have this one lady i love talking to over the phone before i fall asleep.

I've had my iphone for almost 2 years now, and over the last few months i've been having headaches when using my phone before i go to sleep.

These are serious headaches and i was literally actually scared of using my phone anymore.
I don't want to die of cancer and i had to sacrifice a big tool of popularity and entertainment for longevity.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Hmm... I never thought of it that way. With sensitive parts down in that area, I could see how some issues could arise with those organs if a cell phone is right next to them for a long part of the day. With phones like the IPhone, with it constantly getting updates, (facebook notification for example), I wonder what kind of damage it would do?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

I have wondered if there is a connection between cell phone
usage and memory lose.
Since you are having headaches while using your cell phone,
I recommend talking to her on a landline!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I guess I'll have to be one of Mr. Important guys and walk around with the cell phone holster around my belt.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I just popped in here to say that I have had my cell phone turned off for 2 weeks due to losing the charger...

...I have had the most peaceful time in years! It's great! I might follow the ways of Fmr. Gov. Jesse Ventura and not have a cell phone at all.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

I am thinking of getting rid of mine as well.
Mine is an old nokia and I have had it for
about 7 years.I don't use my cell phone all
the time.I like having it when I travel though.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
To be honest I don't think not having your cell/mobile phone in your pocket makes any difference nowadays. Everybody has one and so you will always be close to one.
edit on 26/10/2010 by jexmo because: (no reason given)

top topics

join