It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is love, is love the answer to what ails our world?.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The dictionary definition of the word love, according to The English - Oxford Dictinary - in brief states:-
"warm liking or affection; sexual passion;......................................"
What is this warm feeling - That can run so deep as the be felt as an affinty in essence.
Two souls saying Hello. Both united in one.
What is this sexual passion that is the part cause of the magic and mystery of life and birth.

I believe that there is an original source and like a fractured mirror we each are a piece of the reflected image.
and that Love has many levels and states of being.

Those who are said to be evil are the ones without love BUT wait - They love what they do AND if they are truly without love then they are the ones most in need of love.

Love alone needs other attributes so it may blosson and transform.
Honour, truth. caring, passion, courage, compassion and strength etc.
Love shares of itself and serves others.

Love can be unrequited broken, beaten' abused' misunderstood, be self serving etc.
Like a plant withering through lack of substinance

Love has no proof of itself in scientific terms and is a vague possibility in the minds of others.
It is not contained in a mathmatical formula and defies the simplistic notion of "chemical reactions in the brain"

edit on 14-10-2010 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-10-2010 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

"This is the thing: the importance of human values has to be brought back into the dicussion of political priorities. This was attempted in the sixties; now it's presented as a joke that people would ever stand up and say that love is the answer. It's inconceivable in the present milieu."

-Terence McKenna, The Archaic Revival

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned
reply to post by artistpoet

"This is the thing: the importance of human values has to be brought back into the dicussion of political priorities. This was attempted in the sixties; now it's presented as a joke that people would ever stand up and say that love is the answer. It's inconceivable in the present milieu."

-Terence McKenna, The Archaic Revival

Some people see no value in others, some supress others, manipulate others and of course far worse.
Love for ones fellow beings can be rejected or accepted.
It is simply a matter of choice

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
THE BIRDS & THE BEES
(Herb Newman)

Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees
And the flowers and the trees
And the moon up above
And a thing called "Love"

Let me tell you 'bout the stars in the sky
And a girl and a guy
And the way they could kiss
On a night like this

When I look into your big brown eyes
It's so very plain to see
That it's time you learned about the facts of life
Starting from A to Z

And the moon up above
And a thing called "Love" (Yeah!)

Starting from A to Z

And the moon up above

And the birds and the bees
'bout the birds

and the bees

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Sry couldn't resist.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
The dictionary definition of the word love, according to The English - Oxford Dictinary - in brief states:-
"warm liking or affection; sexual passion;......................................"
What is this warm feeling - That can run so deep as the be felt as an affinty in essence.
What is this sexual passion that is the part cause of the magic and mystery of life and birth.

I believe that there is an original source and like a fractured mirror we each are a piece of the reflected image.

Those who are said to be evil are the ones without love BUT wait - They love what they do AND if they are truly without love then they are the ones most in need of love.

Love can be unrequited broken, beaten' abused' misunderstood, be self serving etc.

Love has no proof of itself in scientific terms and is a vague possibility in the minds of others.
It is not contained in a mathmatical formula and defies the simplistic notion of "chemical reactions in the brain"

Hi artistpoet-

The thing about emotions that you point out above is it can mean different things to different people. The meaning of "love" to one person isn't the same meaning as what another person feels "love" is and so on. If I love cats but I don't care much for dogs, and you love dogs but don't care much for cats, we both still "love" just not the same thing. Love can also turn into a bad thing. I hear all the time about Celebrities being stalked by people who "love" them. I don't know about you but I don't want to be stalked by someone who "loves" me.

I do however disagree with you about the math part. Yes, math can't tell you how to feel, but it can help you be what you want to be.

Everything has an opposite, happy/sad, light/dark, love/hate, positive/negative, etc. To be happy you should do things that make you happy.

In math there are positive numbers and negative numbers

If love is something you want then that would be a postive 1
If there is something you hate that would be a negative 1

something makes you happy positive 1
something makes you sad negative 1

when two things collide they multiply or times themselves

So for instance, if you love someone (positive 1) but the other person doesn't love you back (negative 1) then trying to make that work would end in a negative way

If you loved someone (positive 1) and they loved you back (positve 1) then it equals a positive

If you don't love someone (negative 1) and they don't love you either (negative 1) then you will not be together and that is a positive for both of you

Positive and negative math

1 x 1 = 1
-1 x 1 = -1
-1 x -1 = 1

To be happy, do what makes you happy. To love, find someone who loves you back (you must be honest with yourself, you may be so in love that you don't look to see if they love you back).

In my opinion, I think most of our problems stem from others trying to tell us how we must feel and what we can and can't do. We put laws into place that make us obey and tell us how to act. If someone thinks or acts in a different way from others then they must be "crazy"

Another one of our many problems is that from the day we are born we grow up into a world that teaches us how to be selfish, cheaters, liars, self centered etc by what we see on TV, movies, and sports. Just look at all the athletes getting caught cheating or have been accused of cheating (A football player comes to mind right now)

Now I'm not saying it's all the TV's fault because parents have a big role to play along with other kids that your child plays with but it does have a big influence. Look at all the young singers who dress like tramps and promote sex (most girl singers right now). All this negative influence is having an impact but for the most part it goes unnoticed because it is on the inside and not on the outside. We also paint a picture on TV that what matters most is what you see on the outside and not what is inside. As long as you are good looking and skinny, you can do or say what you want because you will be a star (at least that is the image they seem to paint)

Anyhow, if we could ALL just "treat others as you would like to be treated" that would solve many of our problems in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Trudge

I'm diggin' this +1 & -1 thing.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
"Love from one side hurts, but love from two sides heals"

"Love sought is good, but given unsought is better"

My favorite quotes about love because they are so true.

Shakespeare is the author of the quotes.

Love is a wonderful thing

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

Thank you sykickvision, I'm glad you like it. It is a very simple and easy way to help with everyday things that we all do. I hope you have a great day!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I would say the definition is lacking. It doesn't have to be a sexual thing.

Real love really cannot be expressed in words. It's the feeling of even wanting to give your life up to protect someone who really hurt you.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I read once somewhere, i think maybe Deepak Chopra had written this statement but i'm not sure so please don't hold me to that. All i know for sure is i did not come up with it, but it's in my brain for some reason...
the statement was something about love being the desire to overcome all separation, the wanting to meld and rejoin with the other parts of the Divine that is on this level of existence.
And then that brings to mind Jim Morrison's:
'A vast radiant beach in a cool jeweled moon
Couples naked race down by it's quiet side
And we laugh like soft, mad children
Smug in the wooly cotton brains of infancy
The music and voices are all around us.
Choose they croon the Ancient Ones
The time has come again
Choose now, they croon
Beneath the moon
Beside an ancient lake
Enter again the sweet forest,
Enter the hot dream,
Come with us.
Everything is broken up and dances.

"Everything is broken up and dances..." that is such a beautiful image, and maybe the innate desire that we have to rejoin what has broken up, ends up being the 'dance,' which ends up being what we call Love.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
In my opinion there are two forms of love one being emotional and the other being compassionate.
Emotional love is the form associated with new relationships and encompass lust, passion, desire, romance and the like and is often born of selfish needs to feel a certain way in order to bring about happy chemicals in one's self.
This form of love to me is the lesser love of the two but what many mistake for real love.
Compassionate love or Universal love in my opinion is real love and is born of a selfless giving. It is what a mother and father use to nurture their children it is what a stranger offers to another in their time of need like sharing food or clothing. It is this form of love that is needed in the world and ultimately the only force that will overwhelm selfish and "evil" desires associated with the ego.

Always the optimist.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This is a song I made in 2009 entitled Love. It is more of a philosophical and metaphysical take on what my interpretation of Love really is... many will probably have different interpretations but this is my own.

Always the optimist.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
THE BIRDS & THE BEES
(Herb Newman)

And the moon up above

Let me tell you 'bout the stars in the sky
And a girl and a guy
And the way they could kiss
On a night like this

Starting from A to Z

And the moon up above
And a thing called "Love" (Yeah!)

Starting from A to Z

And the moon up above

And the birds and the bees
'bout the birds

and the bees

With Love,

Your Brother

Ha Ha Cool lyrics and song
Thank you for that

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCar

Sry couldn't resist.

Ye Jim Carey seen it before - too funny.
You gotta smile!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trudge

Hi artistpoet-

The thing about emotions that you point out above is it can mean different things to different people. The meaning of "love" to one person isn't the same meaning as what another person feels "love" is and so on. If I love cats but I don't care much for dogs, and you love dogs but don't care much for cats, we both still "love" just not the same thing. Love can also turn into a bad thing. I hear all the time about Celebrities being stalked by people who "love" them. I don't know about you but I don't want to be stalked by someone who "loves" me.

I do however disagree with you about the math part. Yes, math can't tell you how to feel, but it can help you be what you want to be.

Everything has an opposite, happy/sad, light/dark, love/hate, positive/negative, etc. To be happy you should do things that make you happy.

In math there are positive numbers and negative numbers

If love is something you want then that would be a postive 1
If there is something you hate that would be a negative 1

something makes you happy positive 1
something makes you sad negative 1

when two things collide they multiply or times themselves

So for instance, if you love someone (positive 1) but the other person doesn't love you back (negative 1) then trying to make that work would end in a negative way

If you loved someone (positive 1) and they loved you back (positve 1) then it equals a positive

If you don't love someone (negative 1) and they don't love you either (negative 1) then you will not be together and that is a positive for both of you

Positive and negative math

1 x 1 = 1
-1 x 1 = -1
-1 x -1 = 1

To be happy, do what makes you happy. To love, find someone who loves you back (you must be honest with yourself, you may be so in love that you don't look to see if they love you back).

In my opinion, I think most of our problems stem from others trying to tell us how we must feel and what we can and can't do. We put laws into place that make us obey and tell us how to act. If someone thinks or acts in a different way from others then they must be "crazy"

Another one of our many problems is that from the day we are born we grow up into a world that teaches us how to be selfish, cheaters, liars, self centered etc by what we see on TV, movies, and sports. Just look at all the athletes getting caught cheating or have been accused of cheating (A football player comes to mind right now)

Now I'm not saying it's all the TV's fault because parents have a big role to play along with other kids that your child plays with but it does have a big influence. Look at all the young singers who dress like tramps and promote sex (most girl singers right now). All this negative influence is having an impact but for the most part it goes unnoticed because it is on the inside and not on the outside. We also paint a picture on TV that what matters most is what you see on the outside and not what is inside. As long as you are good looking and skinny, you can do or say what you want because you will be a star (at least that is the image they seem to paint)

Anyhow, if we could ALL just "treat others as you would like to be treated" that would solve many of our problems in my opinion.

Hi Trudge
Yes you make some very good points.
I do get your maths thanks for explaining it.
Like you say we all look at things from our own unique experience.
The idea of positive and negative is the like the ancient Ying Yang symbol
Male and Female natural laws in balance.
But I am thinking maybe a state of balance is also a state of stale mate and so no movement.
A pressure has to applied to keep momentum and the spark alive so to speak.
Pressure comes in many forms a slap is pressure so is a caress - though it is more gentle soothing pressure.

What you say about sex selling commodities and becoming a comedity itself in all it's dazzling and hypnotic forms makes love a comedy - once taboo but now liberated and flaunted to lure you in to buy it.
Sadly the idea the act of lovemaling is a sacred communion - is now but a joke in our modern times.

Just my thoughts on what you said - Cheers

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
"Love from one side hurts, but love from two sides heals"

"Love sought is good, but given unsought is better"

My favorite quotes about love because they are so true.

Shakespeare is the author of the quotes.

Love is a wonderful thing

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
I would say the definition is lacking. It doesn't have to be a sexual thing.

Real love really cannot be expressed in words. It's the feeling of even wanting to give your life up to protect someone who really hurt you.

Hi 547000
Yes Agree - love is not just a sexual thing.
Love has many qualities and is displayed in many ways by many people.
You are speaking about a higher love that is far more rare and in need of - and many have risked and some lost their lives to give in the name of this love - they are my heros.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pisces77
I read once somewhere, i think maybe Deepak Chopra had written this statement but i'm not sure so please don't hold me to that. All i know for sure is i did not come up with it, but it's in my brain for some reason...
the statement was something about love being the desire to overcome all separation, the wanting to meld and rejoin with the other parts of the Divine that is on this level of existence.
And then that brings to mind Jim Morrison's:
'A vast radiant beach in a cool jeweled moon
Couples naked race down by it's quiet side
And we laugh like soft, mad children
Smug in the wooly cotton brains of infancy
The music and voices are all around us.
Choose they croon the Ancient Ones
The time has come again
Choose now, they croon
Beneath the moon
Beside an ancient lake
Enter again the sweet forest,
Enter the hot dream,
Come with us.
Everything is broken up and dances.

"Everything is broken up and dances..." that is such a beautiful image, and maybe the innate desire that we have to rejoin what has broken up, ends up being the 'dance,' which ends up being what we call Love.

Wow never read the full lyrics to Jim Morrison;s song - Yes that is a good way of putting it.
Love is the glue to fix what is broken

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

It's not just chemical reactions in the brain, but that has a lot to do with it. Love is essentially a feeling that is genetically driven that lowers our natural defenses against attack from others and allows us to procreate. Much of it has to do with pheromone response -- selection for optimum histocompatability -- but there is also some instinctual hard wiring done in the brain that has to do with template matching. We select mates who are similar to us, but not so similar that they are closely related. That helps us avoid inbreeding and runaway mutation.

Unfortunately, love is not the answer to what ails our world.
In fact, it will be the thing that ultimately destroys us.

Love makes us want to breed past the planet's carrying capacity. Love makes us want our family members to live forever. Love makes us cut down our forests and poison our land so we can build houses and huge SUVs to safely drive our precious children to school and soccer practice. Our love makes us selfish and willing to kill anyone who threatens the ones we love. And it's all encouraged by society as a "good" thing. Those who have more pragmatic notions are seen as cold and evil.

So try again.

<<   2  3 >>

join