It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Towns Evacuated In Hungary As Red Sludge Fears Grow

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
this is truly shocking for the people who live there, hungary is a very beutiful country and has fantastict ppl.
but,
how stupid can folks be realy alowing this to be right next to them, a toxic lake of biblical proportions full of metals and god knows what else,

id be asking serious ?????

1.how did this happen ,but its safe to say that it was 3 times over capacity hmm, interesting
2.who owns this plant/dumping ground
3.was there anything dodgy goin on , yes it apears so
4.why wasnt the local populace told of the dangers and why wasnt there a system in place for a quick evacution
ie drills for every 1 including the children who stay there

from news reports ive hear this stuff rots the skin of your body if you com into contact with it and its even more killer when it dries and becomes airborn then you have a real problem, the suffering will be worse as it get in your lungs
youtube has sum realy shocking videos of the scale

ask youself this what was gonna happen to this stuff anyway, least it wasnt dumped and forgoten about in our already fragile oceans, never realy clear cut is it

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Poor old mother Earth.... bleeding as we slowly kill her.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by starless and bible black

Great post of yours up above.... very well scripted!

It seems to me that there's just too many disasters happening around the World these days for some of them not to be diliberate.... i mean how can some Company keep dumping Toxic waste in the same area over long periods not realising that sooner or later 'the walls or dams' are gonna give way?

The Danube is a waterflow used by many people over several European Country's... i'm betting that some of it is already poisoned by this disaster and it'll get worse if that Dam breaks!!

I just viewed the video on the second page and it looks worse than oil spill in the Gulf!!

PS. I HAVE READ ALL THE REPLIES BTW.
edit on 10-10-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: Adding Text

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by KDM_Souljah

I don't think the plant was a mom n pop operation. Very little info has surfaced at to who let this atrocity happen.
I saw an Ariel photo of the town and the cars piled up on each other.When it gets into the ground water- this may become a mini Chernobyl.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
wrong post
edit on 10-10-2010 by KDM_Souljah because: wrong post

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
i hope the ppl who stay there find out whats goin on and find out who arse to stick there boot up because as i said the word biblical come to mind when describing this mess we cannot deny that, when is this gonna stop,everything we do as a species contained on this little ball of dust in space we call earth.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The article states this:

The amount of mud spilled in just a few hours almost equalled the 200 gallons of oil leaked into the Gulf of Mexico during the BP disaster

200 gallons? I'm pretty sure the oil leak was more than that. This must be a typo or something, yes?

Anyways, it's unfortunate that this happened - it's unfortunate that this could even be ABLE to happen.. I mean, with the threat of the so-called "terrorists" and all, you'd think something like this would be safeguarded against. We can put people in space, and build the Large Hadron Collider, but can't build a decent wall around a toxic sludge resevoir? Give me a damn break, it's about time people start demanding companies to do the right thing. Ever hear of socially responsible investing?

Socially responsible investing, also known as sustainable, socially-conscious, or ethical investing, describes an investment strategy which seeks to maximize both financial return and social good. In general, socially responsible investors favor corporate practices that promote environmental stewardship, consumer protection, human rights, and diversity. Some (but not all) avoid businesses involved in alcohol, tobacco, gambling, weapons, and/or the military.

edit on 10-10-2010 by againuntodust because: quoting coding issues

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

The reason this is not a top-story on ATS, is because it happens outside the US and therefore, isn't considered important enough by the majority of (American) members.

i'm perfectly ruined to distinguish a little-few difference between situations about GOM & Red Sludge, either of'em haven't had credible coverages of mass media
we just could reckon upon first-hand accounts & hope for good.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Why the debate on which is worse, this catastrophe or the BP oil spill? Are you playing one-upsmanship with disasters?

Can't we just take these things one at a time?

Both are serious environmental catastrophes, what difference does it make which is worse?
Why would you expect something that happens in another country to get as much press as one that is threatening our own? Do you think Hungary is now focusing on it's own issues, or are they talking about the BP oil leak, our tornadoes and hurricanes? Good grief. News is news. It hits you harder when it's your own country, and all that means is it hits you harder. Most certainly it does, as it well should.

And somebody said BP leaked 200 gallons of oil? Sigh. No comment.

But the BP nightmare is over now, and our thoughts can be with Hungary during their nightmare.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

But the BP nightmare is over now

Amica, i surmise your opinion to be too optimistic *HAT*

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The country of my ancestors is always under siege, it's so sad. Within the last century they have been divided up by the West, oppressed by the Russians and now used as a toy by the Globalists. Just add this to a long list of problems which have been plaguing the Magyar since my families ancestor Arpad founded Hungary.
edit on 10/10/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

LadyInWaiting.... You ake a valid point.... this is happening now... the BP spill hasppened months ago (shouldnt be forgotten) but it did happen months ago and i'm sure a lot of harm is still coming from that....

Anyway i've just picked this report up from the latest news:

A by-product of alumina production, the thick, highly alkaline substance has a caustic effect on the skin. It contains heavy metals, such as lead, and is slightly radioactive. Inhaling its dust can cause lung cancer.

Late on Sunday the Veszprem county disaster unit advised crews and residents in the area affected by Monday's spill to wear protective masks and glasses as dust levels in some places had exceeded the health limit as the sludge was drying out.

It said the dust can irritate airways due to its alkalinity.

News agency MTI quoted environment state secretary Zoltan Illes as saying a 25-metre-long crack in the weakened wall of the sludge reservoir had widened slightly further by Sunday and the wall now looked beyond repair.

And:

Later on Sunday it added that sporadic dead fish spotted on the Danube near Budapest had drifted downstream from the river Marcal, where the spill destroyed all wildlife.

Gyorgyi Tottos, a spokeswoman for disaster crews, said authorities hoped to complete the 600-metre emergency dam within days to stop 500,000 cubic metres of sludge still in the reservoir from escaping.

RACE AGAINST TIME

"This wall will be able to stop the flow, experts hope to get it done within three days," Tottos said.

"This is a race against time as good weather is forecast for the coming few days but then the rain will come. If we can have the dam finished by the time the rain comes, then it will be all right," she said.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

oppressed by the Russians

c'mon, man, in the CCCP Era, your country could have gotten the full, professional support w\o any questions
now, Hung(a)ry just learns simple laws of capitalism

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This is hearbreaking. I am 3rd generation American, immigrated from Hungary. "Pops" used to sing patriotic songs to my mom, in his thick Hungarian accent, when she was little.

I still have family there. And a desire to go visit them.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

No one wants to admit their country was an Imperialist bully. Luckily my family was able to escape before your country really dug its claws in and killed off any National identity and freedom and slaughtered thousands if not millions of innocents. 1956 could have been a turning point in Hungary if it wasn't betrayed by the West, like usual.

And now they have been taken from oppression by the Communist Russians to oppression by the Globalist Capitalists. One day Hungary will reclaim its former glory and its national identity, it's already beginning. Jobbik won 17% of the vote, the era of oppression will end and my family can return home.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

My family is direct decendant of Arpad, know who he is?

Anyways, my family emigrated from Hungary to America as well last century. First they came in 1914 before WW1 then the rest of the family came in 1956 during the Hungarian Revolution. I yern to actually return to the land of my ancestors and live on the same land they did. Hungary is such a beautiful country and the people are hard workers who ask for nothing, I think it runs in the blood.

Where did your family settle when they came to America?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Luckily my family was able to escape before your country really dug its claws in and killed off any National identity and freedom and slaughtered thousands if not millions of innocents.

if CCCP was so Evil, why should your country live until present days, & have had many well-educated citizens from communist Era? how was prostitution & criminal rate high in that Time for your country?
have you had the ties with humans from there, can you speak'ir language??
i have met many children of immigrants from Russia, they completely have no idea about Russia (just words: gorbachev, perestroika & vodka
), & spew out the same rubbish

edit on 10-10-2010 by SarK0Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

I never said anything about employment, living standards or education, I am talking about National culture and how Russia destroyed it.

I have relatives who have stayed in Hungary and some who have already returned after the fall of the USSR. I keep in touch even though I have just begun to learn Magyar. They speak English and they have told me plenty about the oppression by the Russians under the guise of 'protecting them'. But I don't hate the Russian people for that, I hate the Soviet Government for that.

My family is from right on the Austrian/Slovenian border, they saw freedom and culture in Austria which was destroyed in Hungary at the hands of the Stalinists.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I never said anything about employment, living standards or education, I am talking about National culture and how Russia destroyed it.

oh, enlighten me, please, how can culture run for jobless, uneducated humans??
oh, perhaps, culture is just fairy tales & folk music?

I have relatives who have stayed in Hungary and some who have already returned after the fall of the USSR. I keep in touch even though I have just begun to learn Magyar. They speak English and they have told me plenty about the oppression by the Russians under the guise of 'protecting them'.

ohh, yea, that allows to make completely proper analysis of that Time

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

Culture is about national identity, not education or anything like that. Religion, art, folklore, music, dress, lifestyle, that is culture. And all of that was destroyed by the Russians when they seized control. If you think education and having a job is everything you are dead wrong, without a culture a society is nothing but lifeless souls occupying an oppressed body.
edit on 10/10/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join