It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Towns Evacuated In Hungary As Red Sludge Fears Grow

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

in your terms, culture is only fairy tales & folk music
well, man, let me introduce my point: culture is way to live at the given place (to comprehend Soul of own Ground) & capacity to make Future. in other words, culture is Skill to Live for many.. many years, that's very complex Essence & high-advanced Science is Great Part of This

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

Yes, true. Actual Hungarians as almost all the other eastern European populations says under Russia it was much much better.
Also in eastern German there is the same feeling...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by SarK0Y

I never said anything about employment, living standards or education, I am talking about National culture and how Russia destroyed it.

Yes, actually you are quite true.. Russians standardized the culture of all the populations under its domain.
If on one side the biggest part of Hungarians I spoke with (I live in Hungary) said me it was better at that time I noticed that all traditions and local culture suffered a lot and only in the last couple of years hungarian culture and pride is coming back.

They are a really fantastic population of capable, intelligent, volitive people that belive in excellence.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nuspy

Russians standardized the culture of all

Culture cannot be permanent thing -- it's Alive Entity! sometimes, i like to listen russian & other folk music, but have no idea to wear folk dressing

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

My family is direct decendant of Arpad, know who he is?

Anyways, my family emigrated from Hungary to America as well last century. First they came in 1914 before WW1 then the rest of the family came in 1956 during the Hungarian Revolution. I yern to actually return to the land of my ancestors and live on the same land they did. Hungary is such a beautiful country and the people are hard workers who ask for nothing, I think it runs in the blood.

Where did your family settle when they came to America?

Came through Ellis Island, settled in the Clearfield, PA area. Most of them are still there. My grandfather was the more adventurous of the brothers. My mom graduated high school while they lived in Kwajelein. He worked on the coolant systms in the missile silo's.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KyPo81CAD

That's very odd looking KyPo81CAD. I don't know what it is but maybe this deserves it's own thread. I'm just sayin'.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

My family came in through Ellis Island too and they settled in Bethlehem, PA working for the Bethlehem Steele and others in Alleghany County working on the railroads.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarK0Y
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

But the BP nightmare is over now

Amica, i surmise your opinion to be too optimistic *HAT*

Hello again. I don't really think of myself as overly optimistic, actually I'm quite gloomy at times.

But typically I lack a tendency to make things sound worse than they are, and I do believe that most problems can be solved.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

Originally posted by SarK0Y
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

But the BP nightmare is over now

Amica, i surmise your opinion to be too optimistic *HAT*

Hello again. I don't really think of myself as overly optimistic, actually I'm quite gloomy at times.

But typically I lack a tendency to make things sound worse than they are, and I do believe that most problems can be solved.

huh, Amica, i just have had a tendency to try hard to see things like they're. check it out

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

Can i just ask why you guys have turned this thread into a discussion on Culture?

This has nothing to do with Culture.... please save that for your chit chat sessions on MSN

I see the thread is dying now because of the change in topic.... i'm quite surprised the MOD's havn't spotted this and deleted your posts!!

Please get back on topic.... you guys are Hungarian you say, well try and get someone you know to post some photo's or video footage up here....

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
to get back on topic

Police spokeswoman Monika Benyi said police were questioning a man on suspicion of "endangering public safety, causing multiple deaths and causing damage to the environment."

Prime Minister Viktor Orban told parliament damages must be paid to those affected by the spill, jobs at the plant must be saved, those responsible must be held accountable and further risks at the company's sites should be identified.

www.reuters.com...

That's all they mention on Reuters, but our dutch news reports that it's the director of the aluminium plant who was arrested today.

Not that it matters to all the people who already fell victim to this disaster.... let's hope they can get the second dam ready before the old one breaches..
edit on 11/10/2010 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Thanks!

I was just about to post this: news.sky.com...

Which is a similar report on Skynews about the arrest of a Boss responsible for this mess....

What do i mean just about to post it... i did post it....

A little on the story:

The boss of a company at the centre of Hungary's toxic sludge disaster has been arrested - amid fears another reservoir wall could collapse.

Zoltan Bakonyi has been taken in for questioning and the company he runs - Mal Hungarian Aluminium Production and Trade Company - will be temporarily nationalised, according to reports.

edit on 11-10-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: fixing link

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

reply to post by SarK0Y

No one wants to admit their country was an Imperialist bully. Luckily my family was able to escape before your country really dug its claws in and killed off any National identity and freedom and slaughtered thousands if not millions of innocents. 1956 could have been a turning point in Hungary if it wasn't betrayed by the West, like usual.

And now they have been taken from oppression by the Communist Russians to oppression by the Globalist Capitalists. One day Hungary will reclaim its former glory and its national identity, it's already beginning. Jobbik won 17% of the vote, the era of oppression will end and my family can return home.

Since you are American, I guess you don't know any better, but if there's one country that should not talk about imperialist bullies, it is Hungary. You are calling the kettle black. If you don't know what I'm talking about you should look into Slovak-Hungarian relations.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Can i just ask why you guys have turned this thread into a discussion on Culture?

just turn some pages back & you'll get reasons for

you guys are Hungarian you say, well try and get someone you know to post some photo's or video footage up here....

i'm not hungarian &, as i see, here have been no first hands so far.
edit on 11-10-2010 by SarK0Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Ok People

Do the words "Off Topic" mean anything to you?

This is a thread about a natural disaster occurring in Hungary and the conversation should stay on those lines...

Figure I would say it before a Mod closes this thread due to it.
edit on 11-10-2010 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nuspy
reply to post by SarK0Y

Yes, true. Actual Hungarians as almost all the other eastern European populations says under Russia it was much much better.

Really???? Cause my dad who crawled across a border in the middle of the night at 6 years old to escape to a better life would probably tell you different. My Great Grandpa who was hauled off to Siberia out of the blue one night would definitely tell you different. Not too mention all my family that still lives there that would never want to go back to the oppression of the soviets.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeykillingmonkey

i think we desperately need to've thread for that subject
oh, MODs, i very sorry for my offtopic

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Zoltan Bakonyi was arrested THEN HE WAS OUT in a few hours.

The problem is, he is untouchable - a finance aristocrat coming from the old elite serving Soviet rule. His family is now one of the five richest families in Hungary - earlier his dad was CEO directing MAL under the Soviet system. Prime Minister Orban tries to take radical steps - as well he should - people guess most likely a hundred million HUF (about half a million dollars) could have been paid for this guy's freedom. Not to Mr Orban, neither the budget. I can imagine Mr. Orban was furious when learning about the CEO walking free...

That family got rich under Soviet rule... I am sure they have their good side too, maybe they are good engineers to start with, but it is very much like Eastern European mafia-style capitalism that

1. MAL Zrt only had insurance for HUF 10 million (about 5,000 USD). Naturally, there was absolutely no coverage for damage caused to others, only for the company's losses. At the SAME TIME the same company was disptributing profits (dividends) to investors and their CEOs are well paid.
Should we ask priorities?

2. MAL's attorney now asks the blame to be put on the State - since some state agency ordered a deep concrete wall insulation to be built around the slurry pool about 10 years ago - this actually trapped the unusual amount of water.

Since the torrential rains this year (mostly in May and June) has already surpassed all verifiable recorded history (from the late 19th century on) - possibly due to the ashes spewn earlier by the Icelandic volcano - this red slurry catastrophe was not a total surprise. That means an outer containment wall or dam should have been built throughout the summer. And/or a warning system built. Therefore I still hold the corporation responsible, as well as its head. (No one forced this guy to be the CEO of a large corporation - in Japan he would already have resigned without compensation. Perhaps he even would have committed seppuku.)

On top of that, had the dam burst at night, not around noon, we would have had upwards of a hundred people dying a horrible death, perhaps several hundreds. It was plain luck that most were on foot and some could escape on the rooftops and some were away working.

Another thing downplayed in Hungary is the heavy metals and radioactivity contained in the red sludge. True, radioactivity is not tragic like in Chernobyl, but it IS way above the readings of normal - I think Greenpeace measured it. Also, we don't want mercury and cadmium in the wind.

Troops are helping to bury or neutralize the slurry in an area about 40 square kilometres.

The papers are worried that another bigger red slurry pond may burst if this one did - and that bigger one is right on the banks of the Danube, one of Europe's largest rivers, which then goes down to Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join