It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hungary sludge flood called 'ecological disaster'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Hungary sludge flood called 'ecological disaster'

news.yahoo.com

DEVECSER, Hungary – Hungary declared a state of emergency in three counties Tuesday after a flood of toxic red sludge from an alumina plant engulfed several towns and burned people through their clothes. One official called it "an ecological disaster" that may threaten the Danube and other key rivers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My heart goes out to all the people affected by this. Another example a company showing blatant disregard for the safety of citizens. Maybe the only way we can make these companies think about the disasters that can occur is if they are forced to live next to their factories with the rest of the workers.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Star and Flag! This isn't getting enough attention. It's a massive ecological disaster waiting to happen. The carcinogens from the run-off will be in the local water table for months making the locally sourced water unusable even for washing clothes.

There is also of course the potential as they have mentioned of the water getting into the Danube which will result in pollutants reaching even further a field. The blood red water may serve as an omen for the devastation to follow.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Here is a rough map of the area currently affected.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9900cbb20bb7.jpg[/atsimg]

www.guardian.co.uk...

Local environmentalists said that for years they had been calling the government's attention to the risks of red sludge, which in a 2003 report they estimated at 30 million tonnes.

"Accumulated during decades ... red sludge is, by volume, the largest amount of toxic waste in Hungary," the Clear Air Action Group said, adding that the production of one tonne of alumina resulted in two tonnes of toxic waste.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
If you use Google maps satellite view, and search Kolontár, Hungary to the right of the town you can see the aluminium waste in the reservoir.
edit on 5-10-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: Remove rubbish link.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
And so it begns, Austrialia, invaded by swamrs of locusts, now the rivers runs red .

Either that One needs to be signed into a looney bin LOL.

4 people dead already, how man more are going to die as a result. Will those who supposingly let this out into the riverstram be held to account?

Will Europe Step in and help?

Or will the EU let them suffer and die.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Video report:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Hungary's toxic sludge reaches Danube river as PM writes off worst-hit village

Very grim. And seems very symbolic of our times.

Any prophecies mention this? I know of the songs.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I was just watching this on the news.

I am shocked, I was left picking my jaw up off of my chest (I am reclined). They showed that with one house the stuff got higher than the reported. You could see where it touched everything; I mean everything this stuff touched is red. Leaves on tress, grass, fencing, walls, literally everything this touched has changed color.

I have no idea how they are going to go about cleaning this up. I feel so sorry for anyone affected by this. I cannot imagine everything including your land being ruined.

The scariest part is that I am not sure we know what future affect this will have on the ecosystem. Will it be safe to plant things and eat them in the near future? How will it affect the wildlife and stock animals? The people will certainly suffer because of this.

Raist

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The headlines are scary. This is absolutely terrible. A million cubic metres of toxic sludge has leaked into the Markal River. "All life extinguished on the way". A MILLION?? It's now reached the Danube, the second biggest river in all of Europe.

top topics

join