It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting at Fort Bliss Army Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Shooting at Fort Bliss Army Base

www.foxnews.com

Two people were killed during a shooting on Fort Bliss Army base in Texas, officials said.

The shooting, inside a convenience store on post, was reported at about 3 p.m. Monday afternoon, Col. Joseph A. Simonelli Jr. said at a press conference. The area was roped off for an FBI investigation

Law enforcement arrived on scene and killed the person they believed to be the shooter, officials said. Details about the identities of the victims and of the shooter remain unclear.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
"Law enforcement arrived on scene and killed the person they believed to be the shooter, officials said."

They killed the person tehey believe to be the shooter?

Why?

Is this a typical proceedure for a Goverment military instilation?

I guess we will have to wait for the details to come out.

So far this is all that I could find.

www.foxnews.com

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
www.kfoxtv.com...

Timeline of the events.

2:06 p.m. JUST CONFIRMED: Victim in Fort Bliss shooting was a Chapin High School student. EPISD just called.
1:56 p.m. Post policy: a soldier's weapon must be registered with the post. Major says investigation is ongoing into whether the suspect did that.
1:47 p.m. Special Report starting on KFOX . 1:23 p.m. The podium at the press conference is empty. KFOX crews are in place to go live. Fort Bliss is not ready.
1:12 p.m. KFOX Crews are standing by for the press conference to begin at any time.
12:53 p.m. KFOX has called Jean Offut to give the media better access for the public's right to know what happened at our military installation.
12:52 p.m. Ft. Bliss officials are telling our live crews they need to park 4 blocks away from the press confrence. KFOX Team is working on a plan to bring live coverage of the press conference at 1:00 p.m.
12:26 p.m. Monica and Arleene are both seting up at the press conference at Ft. Bliss
12:04 p.m. KFOX reporter Monica Balderrama will be live at the Ft. Bliss conference
12:03 p.m. Ft. Bliss confirms that they will be holding a press conference on post.
12:00 p.m. Live cut-in on the air
11:50 a.m. KFOX Anchor Hema Mullur is getting ready to do a live cut-in on air. Hema will be talking to KFOX reporters Arleene Barrios and Monica Balderrama who are at Ft.Bliss
11:30 a.m. KFOX Photog Joe Najera sent KFOX video from the scene.
11:26 a.m. CONFIRMED!! Fort Bliss Shooting involves two victims, one shooter.
11:25 a.m. Getting reports that Milam Elementary School near Fort Bliss incident is now on a lockdown. Working to confirm. School is on Biggs property.
11:21 a.m. Expect KFOX team coverage on this. Rudy, our photographer in the field, says he is the only TV journalist out there.

Well I found some more info guess the story is so new that it will be a while longer to get the details.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Geez, with the current terrorist shooter on trial why have another suspected shooter wait for his/her time. I want to believe that whoever shot this person was sure of who was the killer. I am sure that the MPs at Fort Hood regret not eliminating the paralized idiot standing trail for killing his peers. When can we stand up and protect ourselves? Why do we lose loved ones, friends, etc because we have to be "politically correct"? My charitable patience is being abused. I am loosing my freedom to violence and political correctness. I am on the loosing end of playing by the rules and moral guidelines. Is there anyone else out there that feels like they are being backed into a corner?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN

"Law enforcement arrived on scene and killed the person they believed to be the shooter, officials said."

They killed the person tehey believe to be the shooter?

Why?

Is this a typical proceedure for a Goverment military instilation?

I guess we will have to wait for the details to come out.

So far this is all that I could find.

www.foxnews.com

OMG Your right, How dare they bother him when he is busy killing people the lest they could've done was wait until he was done.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

Well I am still waiting on the details. If they shot him if he was no longer a threat it would be murder on the LEO's fault.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

This happened on a military installation.

Same rules do not apply as they would outside the gates. Military law trumps civilian law inside military installations or I should say they have the same laws plus a few hundred more.

You call it murder, I call it justice, I imagine every soldier on Ft. Bliss feels the same.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

If you look in the OP it says he was the "suspected" shooter. I hope they shot the right one.

edit on 20-9-2010 by SWCCFAN because: Second Line, and for other purposes.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Related article:

UPDATE: Gunman on Fort Bliss shot two women

An armed assailant shot two people at a Fort Bliss convenience store at about 3 p.m. today before military police killed the shooter, post officials said.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

i think he was asking why they shot him/her if they didnt know for sure who was the threat and as a side note why the heck did cops respond instead of military police isnt it there turf and dont they have jurisdiction over all things military?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Mayor John Cook said post officials told him the victims, both of whom were shot in the head, were employees of the government-operated convenience store. In general, those employees are not military.

Read, two AAFES employees. It's likely the guy was trying to rob the joint. It's not something that happens a lot, but it has happened before.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

wow so its not a rampage just some guy stupid enough to rob an ARMY store?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by antonia

wow so its not a rampage just some guy stupid enough to rob an ARMY store?

It's not an "Army" store. You don't how it works. "Shopettes" and pretty much every retail store/fast food joint on an Army/Air Force base are run by AAFES aka The Army-Air Force Exchange Service. Security isn't any better than most convenience/department stores. I worked in a Shopette for two years. The cameras only worked when Security suspected someone was stealing and they turned them on to watch. Even the gas pumps didn't have cameras. This is not the same at every base as every post is managed by different people. There is some military involvement as a General does have oversight of the whole thing and the company charter was created by Congress. The profits are used for MWR. It is run mostly by civilians though.

So in truth it wouldn't be that much different than robbing any other store. You'd just have the added hitch of getting off the base. Then again, I take it you have never seen "Smoking Gun presents World's Dumbest"? The world isn't going to run out of stupid anytime soon.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN
If you look in the OP it says he was the "suspected" shooter. I hope they shot the right one.

Stars for good coverage.

Here we go again...

...Right-wing media will declare it as proof to justify a nearly trillion dollar a year defense budget.

...Left-wing media will declare it as proof guns need to be outlawed.

...Left & Right will declare we need a stauncher Police State. The store clerk won't be armed either way next time.

...Alex Jones will declare it a false flag terrorism attack. If untrue that's still better than all of the above.

...I'll keep pointing out that in an uncivilization of 300 million all sorts of crazy shiite is bound to happen over the course of a year.

edit on 20-9-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
double post whoops

edit on 20-9-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

i did not know that,and yes dumbest criminals is amazeing my favorite was the one where the guys tried to rob a conventioncenter.... a police convention funny vid! so its basicly like knocking off a 711 but with the added risk of avoiding the cops and having to get off base? wow darwin canidate indeed

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Until we know the precise circumstances of the shooting of the suspect, we cannot pass judgement on the party responsible for his/her death.
There are several circumstances where it would be absolutely imperative that the suspect be terminated to protect the public. I would imagine if they had to shoot him it was probably because he was lining up a shot, or brandishing the weapon at responding units of base police or regular constabulary . In that circumstance, you really cant complain if they stuck a round or two in the suspect.

top topics

join