It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Put Your Stamp on ATS 2010: Member Skins (UPDATED!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Submission Requirements Have Changed

We've had more than one member (and a couple public posts) wonder if it would be possible to open up to submissions from members for the new skins that are accompanying ATS 2010 -- the answer is yes.

First, since not all members are on very-wide or high-resolution monitors, here's a look at some of the skins running right now...

The idea is simple, an 1800x900 pixel JPEG image sits "behind" the content of ATS. The execution can be difficult as we're striving for a level of sophistication and elegance in these "stock" backgrounds/skins that elevates our "brand."

This link is to a Photoshop template that has all the layers anyone would need to work on their masterpiece...
ats-2010-skin.psd (5.2 mb)
The file contains our logo and typeset "deny ignorance" in the appropriate places (must remain in the fixed location), as well as a spot to indicate your ATS member name on the skin.

For those without Photoshop, you may use these PNG files as your layers:
ats-2010-skin-logolayer.png
ats-2010-skin-denylayer.png

REQUIREMENTS:

(1) Do not reposition the logo or top black-bar

(2) Do not reposition the deny ignorance text, or the "credit" text

(3) Keep the text subtle, not a bright white

(4) The bottom fade and central shadow must remain

(5) The file size as a JPEG must be able to compress down to the 60k-range

(6) Any artwork you use must belong to you, or is material you have the rights to use

(7) We prefer beautiful abstractions, but compelling imagery (that is beautiful) that matches ATS topics will certainly be considered

(8) Make sure you give yourself credit

Send your finished PNG or PSD files to me via email ---> bill (at) theabovenetwork.com and make sure the subject line contains "ATS 2010 SKIN" so I notice it.

edit on 10-9-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: revised submission guidelines

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
WOW just WOW!!!!

Just when you can't believe it would get any better, you come up with something absolutely wonderful!!!

What a fantastic was for us members to put our personal "spin" on the site we all call home...

WAY TO GO BILL

I wish I could applaud you

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I don't know what a 'skin' is, if it has to do with my picture, forget about it, I don't ever want to try to figure out how to put up another avatar, it is too difficult. I have no interst in skins I guess, I just come here to read and comment. I do not like the new page look in 'recent comments' it looks like it is trying to create some kind of optical illusion or something with all the gray and writing in bright colors.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

i just wish i could tone down the color, especially the greens.

hey space, who is your avatar?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Love the new skins, they are beautiful and my screen resolution and width is wide enough, great idea BTW but not sure I could contribute something but am looking forward to the creative skins the members will be submitting.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
*cough* *Points to Avatar*

They all look incredible. Great work.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Oozii because: Added Text

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Will be firing up CS4 and see what I can create. I have a couple of old artwork flash objects I could convert to jpegs.

Let me see if I can find some pertinent ones.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Nice, now we're talking about skins

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Oh I picked it out to represent myself. It is not me, but the specifics matched: nice looking redhead with an attitude. It is a bit outdated now though, I am a blonde now, lol!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The background skins are most definetly looking nice. The have very defined colors that mix and blend with the designs well

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Super awesome!!!

I may join in and try my hand at this as well.

Very cool to allow the community here a chance to add personally to not only the content of ATS, but now ALSO the look.

Great idea, great idea, great idea...

Did I mention "great idea"?

MM

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
There are missing fonts....

What do I do now?

There is no option to download missing fonts..

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
A huge Thank you for letting us get involved with this... its gonna be so much fun.

I clicked on the link and got the background image but not in layers. I dont have photoshop, I use photoplus x3.
Would it be possible to give us links to the layers individually.. the logos, the central colour, bottom fade. etc.

If thats not possible could you give me a black background with the logos in place and the fade then I will do the rest. Thanks.

Ive seen ATS live logos on threads (not sure who they belong too) are we allowed to use them too or would you prefer us not to add any other logos.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
There are missing fonts....

Helvetica should be the only font you need.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I think the skins you guys already use are great.

But hey why not mix it up, get psychedelic guys!

I like the colours Black and Red in particular, theres my two cents

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Okay, thank you- Just to make sure, you want it in a flat JPEG image? Not the photoshop file....

Sorry for all the silly questions..

When I decrease the file size to 65k, the image quality goes to crap. How does one get past this???

edit on 10-9-2010 by Tripple_Helix because: to add

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Woot! Nice idea SO. I had a little go at this, I came up with this:

It looks better in full size.

EDIT: BTW, for those wondering, I used the Firefox extension called Firebug in order to temporarily edit the location of the main background image in order to see what it would look like.

edit on 10/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
Just to make sure, you want it in a flat JPEG image?

Correct.

When I decrease the file size to 65k, the image quality goes to crap. How does one get past this???

Blood, sweat, tears, voodoo, and animal sacrifice.

Seriously, it ain't easy. The best strategy is to avoid source imagery with lots of detail... hence the more fluid abstractions in the images we're using now.

CHAOS -- the logo must remain as-is, no color changes.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

Yeah, I do not have that font installed either. I guess I will see if I can find a free download somewhere.

SO, would I even need the font? If you just want a flat jpeg to install as a layer, or do you want us to leave the file the way it is with the layers intact?

That is what is getting me confused here. Do you want us to just modify the one layer? Or do you want us to give you just a single jpeg image? Let me read your instructions again.

edit on 10-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Blood, sweat, tears, voodoo, and animal sacrifice.

Haha, that was funny

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join