It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storm,Jupiter and Comet all caught in 1 picture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This Picture is Beautiful, it was taken inb the early hours of August 13th. You can see the Andromeda Galaxy, Pleiades Star, A Storm and even Jupiter and through the clouds at that.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
it boggles my mind how clear you can see the stars in some places. being a nyc native, i thought for years that we could only see a select few clusters...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzo
it boggles my mind how clear you can see the stars in some places. being a nyc native, i thought for years that we could only see a select few clusters...

Yea, I know, I thought that too for the longest amount of time

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Wow, what a great picture. I like how the storm is contained to that one small section of the photo. It's almost as if the photo reads like a story, just how good photography should.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Whoa! That was beautiful! Thank you.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I had to take a second look, such a cool picture.

I am thinking about doing a hike up a recent mountain and having a camp out to see if I can see the stars really well. I live in BC, Canada and was curious do you think the stars would be as visible as that out in the country side away from any major city?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Extraordinary and awesomely beautiful picture! Thank you for sending this and keep them coming!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
You mean Meteor right?

That doesn't look like a comet to me.

Looks like a meteor.

But yes, cool pic....of a meteor!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I know that light pollution is very bad in some places. I am in SW Ohio and can only see the most recognizable stars. The last time I saw them from horizon to horizon was on a highway between PA and Columbus Ohio. I pulled over to have a look.

I know that folks out west probably take it for granted that all the stars are visible. I would love to see them from the desert sometime!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Oh, and the pic even says "PerseidStorm" at the end of it's web address.

More evidence for the meteor theory.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
You would be amazed at how much more you can see of the stars and constellations away from major city light. When I was a kid, we lived in Oscar, LA, and the sky was so clear at night I thought everyone could see the stars as we did. On nights with a full moon, it were as if the sun were out...my brother and I could literally play football by moonlight.

When we moved to Baton Rouge, the stars disappeared, masked by this pinkish/orange glow to the night sky.

One of the reasons I was happy to relocate my family to Watson. Only 20 miles from Baton Rouge, but the sky is almost like I saw it as a kid. Especially away from our neighborhood where the street lights don't interfere. Even with them, my girls (under 6 yrs old) love to go out back at night and "Say goodnight to the stars" They know more now about planets and constellations than I did at 20.

I can remember being in Hammond, LA (rural) in grad school back when Halle Bop (sp?) was in town. Now that was a show!

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Cole DeSteele]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Nice artist rendition of what would make a very cool photograph

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Where did you find that pic?

I want to live there

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Where did you find that pic?

I want to live there

There's a blog called Astronomy Pic of the Day..IDK the link tho, I used StumbleUpon.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

I went to this guy's site, this seems to be authentic. He has some amazing photography there that would lead you to believe this shot is the real deal.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hi there

Thanks for sharing that beautiful image.
It combines my two fave types of Photography - lightening photog and Astrophotography ! Albiet without a telescope in this instance but WOW none the less.

Awesome

Have the best day
themuse

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Very nice image but it would be impossible to catch such a photograph. It is a composite of several images.

Looking east across the prairie, the composite of 8 consecutive exposures each 30 seconds long captures the flash of lightning and a bright Perseid meteor.

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join