It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your very own EVERYTHING proof Fortress. $2.3 Mil

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

i was thinking the exact same thing, sharing the cost of one of these would be easy (i'm not implying that 2.3m is easily shared), look at the size of it, it could easily house a few families if built correctly.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

In the US its not easy but it is possible to get government grants.
I'm sure there is a grant out there that allocates money to the renovation of abandoned government facilities.
I wouldn't know what the name would be and I doubt it would come to a million bucks but I'm sure there is something for the determined and interested individual.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Slim

20,000 square feet.
Thats a lot of house. each section is 52' wide and it is like 170' deep, 9 stories.

Honestly if it were an individual what the hell would you do with all that space?
It only makes sense to invite more than one family.

The more I look at I though it seems oppressive and depressing. Then there is the creepy factor when alone at night your hearing weird crap coming from the deeper darker levels... yeah no thanks no thanks..

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
That house is pretty crazy.

Thing is though, it would obviously depend on how you come about such money. Chances are if you've amassed that much money through your job, then you can make more. Meaning you would be able to afford luxuries such as this house.

I doubt the average person would be able to amass 2.3 million, they would either invest their income in other ventures, assets or into family before then.

Unless of course you and your cats need a bigger habitat.

On the other hand, if you had come across such amounts of money via the lottery or through inheritance... then I'm not so sure. It would depend on the amount and what other things you need to pay for. Or perhaps start your own business.

Honestly, if you need 2.3 million $ to travel the world then you really are spending a lot of time in every country. I guess that's the point, but it would really take you quite a long time to run out of money. Unless you're staying at 5 star hotels and take first class plane trips.

But if that's the case then you're doing it wrong.

I admit, a secret living space hidden behind a fake bookcase has its appeals to my male psyche, but to move to live there is a bit eccentric and unpractical. Keep in mind you'll need a new job, unless you have a substantial amount of money enabling you to sit on your butt. Besides, I doubt if SHTF you'll have time to get there safely.

Amusing thought and I'd be tempted. But I'd soon rather build a joke basement underneath my own home rather than go the recluse way.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I am just wondering what are those $r$i$c$h$$$ supposed to do if say an incomming plasma source hits the Earth in the region these are located and totally turns Earth ground into plasma flowing slurry. How so does one cope with so much intense heat underground as the ground would become plasma slurry temporary time of course but WHAT THEN. I meen the structures would be melted closed sealing the rich inside coffinz....
did I say too much

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

HOLY CRAP!
Thats actually something i have been thinking about though not quite as extreme as a plasma slurry.

Lets just say your a die hard gung ho type, and you run a "tight ship" meaning you keep everything locked up. One day you go inside and seal up behind you...
Fast forward 4 hours later....

Your coming up the stairs you go to the closed blast door and try to turn the opening device when suddenly you realize....Its jammed...

there is an escape hatch but this place is old, and maybe during renovation the health of that hatch was over looked. YIKES!
Can you get a cell phone signal down there?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

if you have excess money after you've bought it, you might want to think more deeply into the sealing of things, if something gets stuck, your screwed, maybe multiple doors? i mean you would probably think of something, maybe a coded back-up lock ? i don't know, but i would think if you were that p-noid about staying safe, then you would look into the smaller details

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Slim

Aye, definitely! You'd want to invest quite a lot more money to make it a self sufficient environment. Ideally you'd have your own sustainable means of generating electricity, an arboretum etc.

You'll also need to double check all foundations etc to make sure it'll be safe enough for the most common types of disasters. The thing is though, I doubt you'll be able to reinforce a structure of that type (assuming you actually need to) easily. Surely it would be better to build your own and make sure everything is 100%.

Btw, having such a 'bunker' would make you survive the majority of disasters. It would also be an investment and seriously awesome if you could be completely self-sufficient. But I guess that's the point. You want to survive and realize that money has no value in the future, only shelter and foodstuffs.

One last thing: If you are going to have to survive (for a few years until the surface becomes safer) in an underground environment. I'd much rather have a large space such as this rather than a small, one room shelter. It helps you retain your sense of sanity by going through a routine and have access to variety.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I love it!

Now I have something to add to my, "If you won the lottery..." list!

This would be a worthy investment in my opinion. Those bunkers were made to be indestructible! Don't forget you not only need asbestos and water removal but also a radioactivity decontamination. So for $2.3m all you get is the silo in raw condition? That's going to raisr the cost of it to over $3.5m depending on the cost of the house you put on top.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Tarrok

if there was a good enough way to independatly produce electricity, then refridgeration and a vertical farm would be top of the list, especially the farm, what could you do in terms of water? any ideas? other than a giant tank of water...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Slim

I agree.

You could reuse a lot of bath, tap and toilet water for your vertical farm. But you would still need to get an outside source.

You could tap an aquifer and, when needed, pump water into a reservoir. You then treat that water (in case it's polluted/radioactive) and move it to another reservoir which you then use for daily use.

Would this work?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by Apocolypstick

Out of curiosity do they even have anything similar o this in Australia?

On another side of the coin, if you were to get a bargain on one of these you would probably spend a ridiculous amount of money cleaning it out, removing 20+ meters of water from it, not to mention hiring a professional asbestos abatement contractor. The latter of which in this country can run tens of thousands of dollars alone. Then there is the retrofitting, another half million depending on your desires. Like I said though, it is more of a childhood fantasy kind of thing. You know what I mean, your own fortress of solitude. Where an adult can pretend they are part of something important.

Not to mention surprising the hell out of guests when you invite them into your basement through blast doors designed to withstand a 2000 pound blast.
OMG that's so cool!

As far as I know - absolutely NOTHING comes anywhere near close to this. We do have underground houses, but they are just houses built below the surface.

And yes, could you imagine the amazing ruckus you could cause down there and not have to worry about noise. Week long raves come to mind!

^^

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Tarrok

that would most probably work, the space isn't a problem

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
just in case you all wanted to see inside one of these bunkers... here ya go... www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join