It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: man shoots shark in head

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I will say again....its a frickin shark. It would kill you with no hesitation. It is nothing but a predator. God you people are idiots. How can you people get so worked up over a SHARK?

Its not even sharks either. its every animal. its disgusting that most of you care more about animals then your fellow human beings.

If this great 'awakening' and new age tripe is you guys attitudes.....count me out.

Its the way of the world...no the universe.

Devour to survive.

Kill to survive.

Alot of you are just hipppies who think you are 'connecting' to nature by being compassionate to animals. But the truth is if you were 'connected' to nature you would be murdering psychopaths.

It says alot about some of you on here. Many of you will not even bat a eyelash or be outraged when a murder of a human is discovered......but if we kill a SHARK...oh lordy lordy we be evil apes!

You make me sick!

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Nofoolishness]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nofoolishness

If he was going to eat it, it would be OK, this is just stupidity!

Want me to take my 30 shot fully automatic, and go on a kill spree? Don't worry, I will only kill animals!

I wont eat it, I will just shoot it! I will go around shooting at nature for no reason, because I am a MAN a PREDATOR, and it is my god given right, to destroy nature for absolutely no reason!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I don't know if this has been stated already but the whole omg that poor shark was a bit to much. The shark was dead the minute it took the bait. The guy and his fam were on a fishing trip. When you fish you can catch and release or keep what you catch. (law specific) Furthermore what do you think other non video taped shark fishing trips do when they get a big ole shark on there line, some club the thing to death. I can tell ya this tho 9 times out of 10 it will be dead before it is pulled on deck.

Edit to rant a bit more...
Why would he cut the line??? do u see that thing.... I would want the iconic pier shot of me, my shark, the pole i caught it on, and my Colt Python that I shot it with.... hole side out...

[edit on 11-8-2010 by BlastedCaddy]

[edit on 11-8-2010 by BlastedCaddy]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

BlastedCaddy

and therein your post is what is wrong with not just this example but alot of problems we humans are causing the world............. It's Me me me me me me me, look at me, look at me, I'm really great because I can pull a trigger and kill an animal. I want a picture on a pier because I am a great Brave Hunter.... PLEASE - get a 'proper' life !!!

You look so STUPID for your comment as do the rest who cannot understand what is WRONG with this clip......... Yes it is a shark, a predatory fish, whose numbers as a species are rapidly vanishing into oblivion. Yes the guy was fishing on what looked like an inadequate boat, not fit for purpose, that is he was NOT able to cope with the situation he had created. He discharged a firearm directly in-front of his children at close quarters, much for bravado as for necessity and to be honest we are all SPECULATING what happened next because the Coward didn't post any further video because he probably realizes on reflection that he will be persecuted if discovered.........
It is actually a complete lack of RESPONSIBILITY which annoys me here...... We humans believe and think we can do whatever we want without comeback and it is that F****** attitude in some which makes me

To all those who might respond to this ..... I'm NOT interested in your justifications.
You and I both KNOW it is wrong........ get over it and start acting like intelligent adults.......... we only have one planet, lets try not F******* it up anymore !!!!!! Please.....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

PS... if anyone knows this individual then please tell me as I will pursue this legally with all the resources I have at my disposal.. Thankyou

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkNinja
reply to post by rival

Rival what do you honestly think do you think this guy dragged a shark for 45 minutes behind his boat so that he could exhaust the shark to the point that his children could take control of the fishing line .... oh wait I mean hunting line sorry .... or some other reason I'm not seeing ? Since shark meat is polluted do you think this was an outright killing or do you think he was "hunting" to feed his family ? since the harvest of shark is widely illegal do you think he was looking to sell the shark fins and organs for profit ? or was this simply a pleasure killing ? please give an honest answer

The harvest of shark is not widely illegal. It is locally illegal in a very
few selected areas. And in those areas the fishing bans are in place
to halt the harvesting of shark fins for Asian markets....In US waters
shark fishing is legal and shark tournaments are common.

This looks like a bay boat--no evidence of a fishing chair.
The kids look look too small to handle a fish this size while standing.
Sharks have a slow, steady, tenacious pull, like reeling in a truck tire.
This looks like a week-end fishing trip in a small private boat. I think they
weren't expecting to hook a shark. Dad was probably showing off
AND being practical. He probably landed this shark and then took a few
photos with it and his kids. And then he probably then sold it.

Guys like this are probably aware that shark steak is high in mercury
...and not omega3. So I don't think this fish was personal food.

This was probably a trophy killing. The shark died for the picture
and for the story to relate to friends over a round of golf. It
wasn't cruel or uncommon.

I think the reaction I am witnessing is more about the cowering kids
huddled in the corner. They were probably wanting to witness but
dad told them to cover their ears.

I think I have thought about this too much....and so have the rest of you.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
That is absolutely horrible .

He could have just snipped the line and been done with it .

I hope that guy falls in if there is a next time he pulls that crap .

I would love to see that guys brains being blown out , F*snip* coward . And what sort of message is he sending to his children ?

People like that should be charged .

Absolutely disgusting .

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
It does seem pretty unnecessary. The only saving grace would be if he was going to eat it, which I'm not sure is the case here.

On the other hand, it's good to bleed sharks out immediately if you're going to eat them because of the ammonia in their blood due to them secreting urine through their skin. You don't want that in the meat. That was a pretty decent size, aggressive shark and the guy may have wanted to kill it before he brought it on board around his kids.

Peace

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I'm just going to address a few things here without watching the video (its blocked where I am at right now)

Its pretty common to bring a firearm onto a boat when big game fishing, for this very purpose. As a shark fisherman and one who enters Mako tournements every year, let me see if I can clear a few things up...

Number one, Mako steaks are considered second in quality to swordfish. With a moratorium on swords at least East Coast USA, Makos became pretty popular.

ALL sharks are SAFE to eat if they are PREPARED properly (barring fishing in a sewage dump or something). The quality and preperation determines if its worthwhile.

FOR INSTANCE: Blue Sharks tend to be not worth the trouble in my opinion because the meat quality isn't great and they urinate through their skin when they get hooked (you can smell the fishy amonia smell when they circle the boat). Most sharks have high urea counts, so how you boat the shark and how you prepare it determines its quality.

I don't know what kind of shark is in the video, but Makos go BALLISTIC when you hook them, launching themselves in the air and sometimes even onto the boat. Its not uncommon to shoot a lively one in the head.

Typically, for large sharks you intend on boating you want to tie a tail rope on it and drag it behind to drown it. If that doesn't work you gotta shoot it. Most fish should be bled, including Tuna and Mahi Mahi and iced to reduce decay and the toxicity people have mentioned.

Tournements obviously you wouldn't want to bleed if you can avoid it so you get the maximum weight at the weigh in.

Shark Fisherman seem to get caught up in the hysteria regarding conservation. Indeed as someone mentioned, long liners and commercial fishing are more detrimental to populations then an angler. We bear the brunt of it though. I know in NJ you are only alowed to boat one shark per day now. If you reel in an endangered species, as what happened not too long ago in NJ (somoene accidentally caught a Great White Shark and misidentified it...25K dollar fine). Typically, fisherman are more conservative then your average meat head spewing forth ignorance (now where did I recently see that?). For the most part size and species regulations are known by an experienced angler, and the information can be looked up rather easily.

In closing, I would just like to leave you with this. On a site which Global Warming is hotley debated due to what obviously is a scam to push forth policy and 'bad science', did it ever occur to you that perhaps these claims of endangerment may also be overblown? NOAA is involved in both these things. Migration patterns change, just like the climate changes. 100 years ago there weren't any reported shark attacks, even though swimming in the ocean was just as popular. That changed in I think 1912 when the infamous shark attacks in NJ happened, did they magically appear? Or were the sharks just following the food, that was following the change in climate? You can see how big industry has subverted the mom and pop farms, and this DRAMA QUEEN attitude i see here is what will help them tighten the noose on the fishing industry, as well. Maybe you want to line up and get your food pills, but when the plug gets pulled...what ya gonna do then?

I see no evidence that these sharks can be traced 24-7. Most of the tags will fall off after a short while and they are not GPS. They have to float to the surface after they release and transmit or pass by an undersea receiver set up for a specific area. So, let me ask you....how does anyone REALLY know what the shark population is, and if it truly is reduced? We can look at the finning industry for Japan and say, that's alot of sharks. US waters are protected, evidence suggests bathers are at risk, at least in NJ this summer. If I were to use the same faulty logic, I would say that the populations were INcreasing. Studying is fine, conservation is fine. Jumping to conclusions? not so much...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Terrible.
Well, to answer your questions: what could this person do? Well, cut the rope, for one, as many said before. That should work fine. Also I'm not sure how often it happens that shark is cought on the rod. I would assume that to catch a shark you need some kind of shark bait. In that case, My answer would be "not fishing for sharks, if you're not prepare to catch them". But I'm not into fishing so my thinking might be flawed.
What would I do? Gee, I don't know. I don't go fishing, I don't have a gun, but I keep the pocket knife with me most of the times, so I'll stick with cutting the rope (and not fishing for sharks). So far, so good. No sharks anywhere near me.

Edit: Fixed double negation.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by xiuhtecuhtli]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This proves how easily distracted even ATSers are by complete utter pointless BS.

3 pages already and most of you foaming at the mouth with hate?

It's like in the movie 1984, when they show a picture of some guys face and everyone stands up yelling and screaming in hate.

Seriously. I count you people to help me go to sleep....

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Wave
reply to post by Schrödinger

Hi!,

Until you're swimming in a freshwater river upstream from the sea and meet a bull shark.. Wonder what sort of hero you'd be then?

Peace!

That would be self defense, which is different than this case.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nofoolishness
I will say again....its a frickin shark. It would kill you with no hesitation. It is nothing but a predator. God you people are idiots. How can you people get so worked up over a SHARK? ...

Why are predators considered "bad animals". There is no such thing (in general) as a "bad animal" or a "good animal". All animals (predators and prey alike) are only doing exactly what nature intends for them to do -- it's NOT a battle of "good versus evil".

Like I said above, cases of self-defense is different. If I'm in the ocean being attacked by a shark, you bet damn well that I'll do anything to escape with my life -- even killing the shark if necessary. But there was no self-defense in this case.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Wow @ all the bashing this man is getting for shooting the shark. How do you know he wasn't going to eat it and didn't want to risk the shark eating his children first? I say good call, you never wanna bring a shark that big, and alive, into your boat w/ small children aboard..

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schrödinger
reply to post by Nofoolishness

If he was going to eat it, it would be OK, this is just stupidity!

Want me to take my 30 shot fully automatic, and go on a kill spree? Don't worry, I will only kill animals!

I wont eat it, I will just shoot it! I will go around shooting at nature for no reason, because I am a MAN a PREDATOR, and it is my god given right, to destroy nature for absolutely no reason!

You're taking the video way out of context. Nothing in that video suggests anything like that was going on. I like people like you though, you give me my daily lulz and never fail.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

What a jerkoff.

He could have just cut the line. I didnt see any mention of a knot, it looks from the video like he just caught the shark, it took 45 minutes to fight him that close to the boat, and he wanted to get the shark into the boat but decided to kill it before gaffing it and pulling it in.

If he had wanted to release it, all he had to do was cut the line. Sure the shark would have still have the lure or hook or whatever in it, but it would have probably lived.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This reminds me of the time when I was fishing, except it wasn't a shark, but a turtle. There were a couple of guys that every turtle they caught, they cut it's damn head off and threw it back in the water. Apparently, they even thought it was funny to throw a live one in the fire.

As for this guy, the rightful thing in my opinion, should have just let the shark go. How easy is it to just let it go? Good example for your kids of the next generation, you moron. As for the website, "Total Pro Sports", I see nothing pro about it.

But man, is this guy lucky he didn't show his face or this guy would be dealing with some of the Extremist Animal Rights Group out there.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by QuantumDeath]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This topic is a major failure. The OP's first post is really misleading.

Hey OP where did you get the idea he was trying to free the shark??

He wasn't trying to free the shark, he was trying to catch it.

Most of the people crying on this topic think he was trying to free it because of the OP's misleading post.

When you catch a shark... you have a few options;

1: Bring it on the boat and let it suffocate to death.

2: Bring it on the boat and cut it open alive with a knife till it's dead.

3: Bring it on the boat and bash it's head until its out cold or dead.

4: Shoot it in the head so it dies instantly.

If anything, the guy did a shark a favor by going with #4.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Unst0ppable0ne]

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Unst0ppable0ne]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Box of Rain

Hi,

Not if you are going swimming thinking freshwater is safe.

Bullsharks are bastards and have taken a fair few lives. For all the wailing about letting it go I think the guy did the right thing - a waterproof powehead with a 12 gauge is what we used to use in Oz when snorkelling or diving - aim at the head and you stand a chance against a refined killer.

Peace!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Okay cool cut the line, so the shark swims away with the hook obviously still in its mouth, I.E. open wound in salt water bad idea. So either the man shoots said shark or lets the shark die of infection because he hooked it. Ive been catch and release fishing and sometimes the fish are better off dead. I had one get caught in the eye. But lets go in a situation where the man brings the shark on the boat with little children. So the best solution there would be to let the shark die on the boat with lack of oxygen=cruel. Ive seen videos of people being humane and taking the hook out of the mouth they get bit...hard. Now obviously this was dumb to shoot the shark infront of the kid. But it wasn't this horrendous act that everyone is so quick to denounce this man as some horrible person. Its an animal I'm sure some of you have tortured rats with poison, or insects. Nothings different except name of the animal, one is a predator and one is a nuisance. So before you denounce him for one shark realize we all have killed plenty of animals and probably tortured them too. However you may judge as you see fit because thats human nature

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

I usually try not to post things that are not directly on track with the OP but in this instance I just could not help it. How is it you even know what a Darwin award is? I mean anyone that can read should have the cognitive ability to realize that bullets will not ricochet off of water. I sincerely hope your post was sarcasm.

In general I would like to remind everyone that every time you eat meat of any sort that it had to die for you to eat it. Someone had to kill it so you could eat it. Meat does not come from styrofoam packages.

The man killed a fish that he caught. Fishing for food or for sport is not illegal. Killing the animal with a gunshot was by far and away more humane than clubbing it and was not illegal.

I am all for animal rights and responsibility but sometimes a fish getting caught is just that, a fish getting caught.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join