It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: man shoots shark in head

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by richdoe

richdoe

You are right, this stupid act is a drop in the ocean when compared to the industrialized fishing industry and the demand for shark fins.......view thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What is outrageous though is this prats use of a gun..... could cut the line but no has to be the big I am........Tosser and a loser....

Anyone who can't see anything wrong with this then you need to look at yourselves...... I pity you..........

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
What? Are we not allowed to hunt animals and shoot them in the face if need be? He just reeled in a shark gentlemen. Smart move in my view, now his family won't be at risk of being bitten by the shark when they bring it in.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by xLogic]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Good Thread PurpleDog.

Problem is that most people incorrectly see sharks as evil because a few of them are dangerous to man. I would guess this is why many could'nt care less about their plight.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xLogic

Was that need be? Or was it Red Neck entertainment?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I can't understand what everyone is upset about. My dad ran a charter boat in
the gulf for several years. This guy is fishing and THAT'S a FISH.

What is the difference between a gaff hook and a gun?

He can sell that shark and any other fish he caught when he gets to dock.

Are ya'll upset because the kids covered their ears?

I'm just not getting it...a fish is a fish to a fisherman. There are people that
go out to do NOTHING BUT fish shark...buckets of chum and steel leeders.

Much ado 'bout not much

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by richdoe
reply to post by xLogic

Was that need be? Or was it Red Neck entertainment?

I would say that was need be. You wouldn't want to land a shark that
size with children in the boat. I've seen and heard of many beach fishers
losing a finger or getting a bad bite from a little twenty pound shark.

Let me add, if this guy was just killing the shark, a slap in the mouth is
in order, nut there is no evidence of that.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Was that Sarah Palins Husband, Or a BP Executive?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

If he had to fish to feed his family then that would be acceptable. I doubt they'll be having Bull Shark for dinner

So i dont think it was 'needed'

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
What would I have done?

Got it a little closer (as close as I could) - leaned in with a sharp knife or a pair of wire cutters (depending on what kind of leader being used) and cut the line.

Its salt water - that hook would have rusted out in a few days, and the shark would have been fine.

Agree with the general consensus - he's an idiot.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

Yeah maybe a fish is just a fish to a "fisherman" but that shark to me was a life, a life that was ended inhumanely and that's when it became illegal. Shooting a shark with a gun isn't going to instantly kill or kill in the least amount of time and isn't the accepted practice when it comes to fishing the fish bashing bat that fishermen have is too prevent the fish from drowning in oxygen and is meant to prevent its suffering. The fisherman that go after shark routinely use a spike that serves in much the same fashion as the bat, its meant to prevent suffering. Picture a slaughterhouse with all sorts of death echoing through its halls from the various machines that deal the animals their last blow. Now picture workers stomping pigs to death with kicks and punches or bringing in crossbows and shooting the animals, or maybe strangling cows to death with their bare hands, anything wrong with that picture ? because several cases of slaughterhouse employees taking the animals last moments into their own hands and dispensing death as they saw fit as opposed to the normal operating procedures, and guess what .... Jail for every single one and not 2 day stays either shortest 6 months longest 7 years this video in legal terms applies and I would definitely prosecute him without hesitation. Another interesting thing about that is that when that act is committed in the presence of a minor it is legally child abuse and if you are the guardian................. But if you don't have a problem with it maybe I can babysit your kids and we can go on a trip down a highway dragging a living Cow by a hook and chain and then to top it all off we can then shoot it in the side with a handgun to ensure that its death is long and painful, seriously a handgun and a shark cant see that being too quick of a death ....... so why use anything larger on the cow after all to a rancher its just a cow...right? And if anyone is interested, I am pretty sure that the information on the guy in the video is being e-mailed to me, a perfect example of internet privacy at work

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DrunkNinja

What an angry, nonsensical wall of text you've built yourself there.

Folks, it's a shark. The man was fishing. Shark = fish. He wanted it dead before he landed it on the boat, makes perfect sense to me. You don't want an animal that size thrashing around on your boat, especially with children aboard.

People are far too sensitive these days about this sort of thing.

Some people like to buy their tofurkey from their local supermarket's 'filthy hippie' isle, while others like to play alpha predator and kill their own chow. Call it a 'lifestyle choice'.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
He should've cut the line.. what a F'ing loser...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
unless he pulled it on board and ate it, this was nothing but 'great white hunter' bull.
if he used the shark i don't have a problem with this.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DrunkNinja

Okay, I understand you're upset...as are most of the responders.

I'll play devil's advocate. Shark meat is generally considered tainted...not
healthy to eat. They are top predators and accumulate alot of toxins in
their flesh. Shark fin soup is popular in Asia, and most of the fishermen
that hunt (that's the term) shark in that region discard all but the fins. That's
evil and wasteful. So if you accidentally catch a shark you should release it,
and not shoot it in the head.

Okay, direct reply.

Shark hunters do use guns. It is lethal and humane. Divers in unsafe waters
carry blast sticks (with shotgun shells) to protect themselves from attack.
Bottle nose dolphin can easily kill a shark with a forceful blow from its
snout. Fishing bats are great for tuna, or reds (both also fish), but they
are also gaffed before they are "batted", sometimes by two or three guys
depending on the weight. Usually though they are not batted--the longer
they stay alive they fresher they'll be. So they are left to suffer.

If you are an animal lover, I understand. But you would be better served
by hiking down to your local Red Lobster restaurant and protesting because
they boil lobster ALIVE. This is made especially macabre by the patrons
ability to choose his lobster from a tank on display. Getting an e-mail
address in this instance and bothering the guy for his fish transgression
is an "after-the-fact" knee-jerk emotional reaction. At least at Red Lobster
your intervention would be pro-active. Woulda-shoulda-coulda vs Oh no you
don't!

If you really want to see normal, everyday cruelty to animals have a
look at this. Note: this is not too graphic, there are videos that show
much worse animal treatment...

I am not an advocate of animal cruelty. I am Native American there is an
inherent respect for life that is observed. But we still kill and eat.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by rival]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Future Darwin Award. You don't fire a gun into water. Poetic Justice when his luck runs out and one ricochets back and hits him or one of his family members. Live by the sword, die by the sword. If you live stupid, you're going to die stupid.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oreyeon
You don't fire a gun into water.

Do you mean to say that the bullet is more likely to ricochet off the water than the shark's head?

Do you even own a gun?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

Rival what do you honestly think do you think this guy dragged a shark for 45 minutes behind his boat so that he could exhaust the shark to the point that his children could take control of the fishing line .... oh wait I mean hunting line sorry .... or some other reason I'm not seeing ? Since shark meat is polluted do you think this was an outright killing or do you think he was "hunting" to feed his family ? since the harvest of shark is widely illegal do you think he was looking to sell the shark fins and organs for profit ? or was this simply a pleasure killing ? please give an honest answer

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
What do other people use to kill sharks? Clubs. They beat the crap out of the sharks head until it stops moving.
Or they just let it writhe around on deck until it has no more oxygen in it's brain.
Sometimes they stab it in the head until it dies.

You know how most people pull big sharks onboard a ship?
A pole with a big metal hook on it.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by alaskan]

*Mod Edit: Lets just keep it a bit civil. Cheers -alien

[edit on 11-8-2010 by alien]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
reply to post by Nofoolishness

Nofoolishness

Obviously you had help spelling the 'retards'.... Oh wait you are one, sorry my mistake..

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

OH SNAP, ouch!!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

and monger what part of that post didn't make sense to you ? do I need to dumb it down for you ? and as for being too sensitive, I think your being too insensitive your attempt to justify an ugly and cruel act by using the argument you get your meat from a supermarket and others direct from the source and that there both the same as they both entail death, as flawed. When I do eat meat I buy it from a local ranch that I have personally been too, and practices humane killing, the kind of sensitivity that drove me to that option is the same sensitivity I wish we all shared for it would change the face of the meat and poultry industry, sadly we don't and the cruel acts that are practiced on killing floors continue. So why not be sensitive to the suffering we as humanity inflict on our animal neighbors ? and I pose the same question as I posed above to rival to you as well ? honest opinion guys ?

[edit on 11-8-2010 by DrunkNinja]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join