It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is NO DELETE BUTTON on this site.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
What the hell man?
A site like this needs a delete button, I also get a lot of double posts that piss me off.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Censorship is the conversation ender...we only remove comments that don't contribute to productive discussion...

And those aren't deleted...just moved.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I would just like the ability to remove my threads or post if I need to, this is common on many other sites and I just thought it was weird that a site like ATS does not give you the ability to remove your own posts or threads.

This isn't about censorship, its about the users being able to remove their own posts or threads if they feel like it.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythic Chris

delete button? why?

we have the capability to edit our posts for hours. isn't this good enough? i think ATS is about sharing information with eachother, not planting a seed for thought or of thought and then deleting it altogether at a later time.

just give thought to the post as you are writing it, re-read your post right afterwards, and edit if you wish to.

just some thoughts,
et

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mythic Chris
This isn't about censorship, its about the users being able to remove their own posts or threads if they feel like it.

Doing so would make any replies to your posts seem senseless. As far as removing threads are concerned, then this would also obliterate whatever other members have posted within it.

This would not be fair to anyone else contributing.

The best advise is to think before posting, because here at ATS, nothing is ever truly gone and we must 'own' what we state.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

For what it's worth, I have seen posts removed if the poster requests that they be removed later. I think you have to have some sort of compelling argument (beyond that you're now embarrassed to have said something) -- something like you included information that you've realized is personally identifiable and want that removed.

You could try hitting the "alert" button on the posts you want removed to send a message to the staff and explain your reasons why they should be removed. I really have no idea what the criteria for removal would be, but if you have a good enough reason it should work.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
fair enough

I guess I will just have to get used to it.
Its kind of like going to another country and realizing that being shirtless is a crime, but you always used to do it in your old country.

I guess every place has its rules and standards

And yes I used the edit button to add more to this post

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Mythic Chris]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

oh, i may have misinterpretted.

i have authored a few threads that in the process of researching/authoring them someone authored a similiar thread on the same subject which was breaking news.

and there have been a few of my threads which did not fit an image in correctly.

when a thread of yours does not live up to par with your expectations due to such circumstances, we can submit a suggestion or complaint and request a mod to close or trash bin the thread, and tell them the reasons for it.

they have always fullfilled such requests for me in the past.

edited to add recent example:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

keep ats fun,
et

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

it's nice to keep retarded things people post that they might retract at a later date. Like maybe trying to deny evolution or something. Can't let them wriggle out of it

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Shhh...that's the secret reason

I guess we've all wished for a Delete button now and then.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Just edit the one you want deleted to say something about how the mods here "clean" threads when one of their mod buddies gets caught with a foot in their mouths.

That usually gets the post deleted in record time.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Jeanius]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have one thread that I couldn't get deleted. I was drunk and I recall
my finger poised above the post icon after happily blabbering in my
inebriated state. And then I clicked to post. I had assured myself I would
just do a quick read-thru and then delete it before anyone could reply.

'Course, there was no delete button.

I was told that post would forever be my ATS hangover, lol, and maybe it
wasn't such a good idea to drink and post

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

As several other people, including Moderator's, have stated, post wisely.

Yes, there are threads which many a member regretted, as well as posts.

The edit button, within the alloted time, is your best bet of course.

Two other things I will recommend as options.

U2U a Moderator, if it is your thread, and it is not going far, ask for it to be put into the always open Trash Bin, meaning it is completely gone away.

You're going to need to state the reason other than you posted crap.

Remember though, if it is actually inspiring conversation, it might be a good idea to leave it alone, which a Moderator will recommend to you too.

If you mis-spoke, clarify your original thoughts, and intent.

Now on to the second option.

U2U a Moderator, if it is your post, and be polite, and request they edit it.

Meaning re-write it yourself and ask them to put in the edit, if it is minor.

The Moderator's will always assist, if it is within their powers, to do so.

Making High-Quality Threads : Ask and I'll Point You In The Right Direction

If you would like advice or suggestions about how to post a little more decisively, feel free to drop on by the above thread, and I will help you out.

If I can of course.

And remember as well you can U2U anyone and ask for a little help.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I agree.

There should be a delete function. We should be able to delete our own posts. Right now the only way I know of to do this is to edit your post down to nothing at all.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
In response, i would like to point out there are at least three delete buttons that members can use on this site and even more by using the back button.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I found it!!

just click This

go ahead..i dare ya...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
As noted at the top of every thread in this forum:

This forums should be used to post questions regarding site policies and respond to announcements from ownership. This is not a place to post complaints.

If you have any questions regarding this or any other matter, feel free to U2U myself or any other Staff Member, or use the ATS Complaint/Suggestion Form located in the Member Center and get the full attention of the entire Staff.

Closed.

top topics

join