It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net neutrality is about to end, you will be restricted online

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Google, Verizon end net-neutrality battle

The long running feud that pitted cable and phone companies that wanted to charge based on data traffic and big Internet companies that demanded the Internet retain its neutral origins, has ended. Two of the biggest players, Verizon and Google, appear to have a compromise that could shape how the FCC writes the rules.

triangle.bizjournals.com...

What's at stake if we lose Net Neutrality?

The consequences of a world without Net Neutrality would be devastating. Innovation would be stifled, competition limited, and access to information restricted. Consumer choice and the free market would be sacrificed to the interests of a few corporations.

On the Internet, consumers are in ultimate control -- deciding between content, applications and services available anywhere, no matter who owns the network. There's no middleman. But without Net Neutrality, the Internet will look more like cable TV. Network owners will decide which channels, content and applications are available; consumers will have to choose from their menu.

The free and open Internet brings with it the revolutionary possibility that any Internet site could have the reach of a TV or radio station. The loss of Net Neutrality would end this unparalleled opportunity for freedom of expression.

The Internet has always been driven by innovation. Web sites and services succeed or fail on their own merits. Without Net Neutrality, decisions now made collectively by millions of users will be made in corporate boardrooms. The choice we face now is whether we can choose the content and services we want, or whether the broadband barons will choose for us.

More FAQ

Could there be nothing worse for us internet users? Our service providers will choose what sites they want us to visit and the speed of this website or if it will load at all!

What are the chances that your service provider would want you to see ATS? Could ATS be one of the first websites to be blocked by your internet provider?

This is a complete destruction of our rights and civil liberties in favor, ONCE AGAIN, by the large corporations where they will be able to keep small online businesses from doing anything unless they pay a steep 'internet toll'. This is the destruction of democracy, free choice and small business as we know it.

These corporations can now buy our politicians with this 'Citizens United' case and now destroying 'Net-Neutrality'. This is now a corporate state, no 'ifs, ands or buts' about it!

[edit on 8/5/2010 by Misoir]

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

[edit on Fri Aug 6 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well, if it this happened, I would most likely go offline for good. I know that may be easy to say right now, but I had to get rid off my TV because of how boxed in to consumerism it was, how it touted what trends to follow and what opinions we should have etc...

I remember a time I didn`t have the net, and I`m sure I`d manage.

When I lose a mobile phone, I get vexed for a day or two, but then it fades and I go back to living without it, and it`s no big deal.

It would be a blow to free speech and freedom of information, but I`d certainly opt out.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'll fight tooth and nail.

I'll rally the troops. I'll be there until the end. There is no damn way that we are losing this battle to the corporations. Not this time.
There are many things that we may do:
www.savetheinternet.com...
join the battle
wearetheweb.org...

educate yourselves:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I am definitely with you on that!

We need to fight this corporatism which is taking over our country quickly.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
the second they do that i will cancel my internet and never support this
but i will support all the new companies that will start the new internet part 2

it will be a great new internet and we wont even let any of the losers pushing for this on it ever

then they can sell there little net and we will have our big net like always

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dean007
the second they do that i will cancel my internet and never support this
but i will support all the new companies that will start the new internet part 2

it will be a great new internet and we wont even let any of the losers pushing for this on it ever

then they can sell there little net and we will have our big net like always

Seeing as you are in Canada I don't believe this will affect you, I could be wrong though.

I only heard about this for the US, maybe you should ask one of your MP's?

[edit on 8/5/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dean007

I like that idea. Perhaps it is time for a new internet. Indeed if net neutrality ends then there will be no choice. There is no way I'm going to subject myself to a corporate controlled internet.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dean007

We have to act before they are allowed a chance to act. Whoever strikes first, wins.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Who would want to control the internet in such a way?
A: Government
Why would the government want to control the internet?
A: To control the content as they have with radio, TV and print
How can they get away with it?
A: Scare the crap out of the stupid public with terrorist nonsense again or the old "for the children" routine.
When will it happen?
A: It already is and has been for years. Slowly you will lose more and more internet freedom. Filtering is already making it's way around the world. Laws will be put out there, opposed, resubmitted and during some media distraction, it will pass.

In the United Corporations of America, the government and corporations will figure out ways to not only control what you see and hear, but will profit from it. They don't care if you go off the grid, they know the vast majority of idol watching morons will gleefully go right along with almost everything. If not, they will bide their time until the time is right and eventually they will have everything they wanted.

Newspapers are failing. No one trusts the bobble heads on TV like they used to. Radio is great if you're a right wing fan. The internet is for everyone. It's too wide open, too free and therefore too dangerous. It won't happen overnight most likely, but we all know it's coming. Fighting for more time is worthwhile.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
like i said maybe it is easier to just let them have it
and the people can start there own fast cheap and fully open internet much how it was originally meant to be

the internet is the only thing keeping me from just going of and living in the forest like grizzly adams
i have honestly had about enough of civilization it really isnt all its supposed to be not even close

the world is a playground for corrupt politicians and i am tired of there rules

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The agreements are about 3G net connections, not about land based broadband connections.

If you are American and you feel strongly about you need to write to the FCC and let them know.

You can find more information at www.massivelinks.com... (tech section)

[edit on 5-8-2010 by maskfan]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
www.alfranken.com...

Do something, be proactive.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dean007
like i said maybe it is easier to just let them have it
and the people can start there own fast cheap and fully open internet much how it was originally meant to be

the internet is the only thing keeping me from just going of and living in the forest like grizzly adams
i have honestly had about enough of civilization it really isnt all its supposed to be not even close

the world is a playground for corrupt politicians and i am tired of there rules

You don't seem to understand that the 'people who start there own internet' will be branded terrorists, do you. They're doing this because if they don't make the net in to a tv set, they lose. They get their asses kicked. For once, they are afraid. Start taking names, they have.

In a little while, all those names will disappear. We'll go down one at a time, assassinated, or simply put in jail, while their names, as traitors, are safe from review.

They used to be called fellow travelers. The internet has opened the world, and they have no place to run.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I have got a solution to this problem of Net Neutrality becoming void.

Get a bumper sticker that reads, and a "quote" in all your message boards,

that reads...

"Every time ta internets loozes a neutrality , a kitten dies"

And some of you might know what I am talking about.

And it has to do with fortune-cookies.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I heard about this earlier today;
And I will not be supporting a company that limits my internet connection;
Instead of trying to make wireless internet faster they are trying to limit it?
If I owned Verizon I would fire whoever came up with that idea ASAP

If I wanted to steal all of Verizon's customers and become super rich,
I would just start selling a superior product like unlimited wireless internet
and Verizon would go out of business

I could see the commercials now...

Verizon 3G internet at a blazing fast 5MB/sec for 99 dollars a month

Then the next day SupremeKnowledge 3G internet, 1GB/sec for 20 dollars a month, sign up now and get the first month for free, and as an added bonus get a free month of Vonage World Unlimited, Free Unlimited Calls to anywhere on the planet

[edit on 6-8-2010 by SupremeKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Who cares? I will NOT miss logging online if the internet will be restricted. The internet ruined my life and the computer doesn't express emotion. Don't worry about losing your freedom. At least you will be gaining freedom from the addiction of being in front of the computer for the better part of your lives and for once enjoy the outdoors. What's that? Why that's call sunshine? Try it. It burns.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Wow this topic hasn't even hit 2 pages yet?

This is a big deal people! You need to voice your concerns! The last little grasp of freedom of speech we have is about to be stolen from us!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
The FCC appear to be stepping in now. I doubt this is going to gain any traction.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by psilo simon
Well, if it this happened, I would most likely go offline for good. I know that may be easy to say right now, but I had to get rid off my TV because of how boxed in to consumerism it was, how it touted what trends to follow and what opinions we should have etc...

I remember a time I didn`t have the net, and I`m sure I`d manage.

When I lose a mobile phone, I get vexed for a day or two, but then it fades and I go back to living without it, and it`s no big deal.

It would be a blow to free speech and freedom of information, but I`d certainly opt out.

I have to go with you on this one. When I gave up my TV I learned to play the flute and the cello and had more time to spend on the piano and violin. I will never make it to Carnegie Hall but I enjoy my attempts.

If it comes to giving up the internet maybe I will learn a new language or two.

If I refused to pay for satellite or cable I sure am not about to pay these greedy corps for the internet. Well it was a good run while it lasted.

Funny thing is I started with the internet way back during the days of "The Well" and it cost me plenty for no more then just text. You paid by the packet and it not only could get plenty expensive but it could take a couple of days for your messages to get routed.

The payoff was back then everybody was who they said they were and though you still had flammers, for the most part everyone was civil.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
i doubt they will succeed in whatever stupid idea they have.
even if all evil companyes combine as they always do there will always be other countryes where little ISPs give no restriction internet.
i guess we should move to russia now,its the free land of hacks & cracks.

are you proud that you used to "buy games" and "torrents suck man im paying 200$ year for norton"?
well look where it all let you? imagine yourself browsing the new facebook filled with ads,getting news for new albums or new tickets for the new star the media is feeding you,and all the mindless teen sheep who dont even know whats happening,just continuing the trend,like they always do.
wearing contact lenses,but wearing glasses without frames and making myspace angles. they make me sick.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join