It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Doth Speak Arrogantly Toward Ye.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Not A Rant.

Riddle me this ATS?

While this does not happen on every occasion, why does it seem like whenever a person on ATS is speaking of some awe inspiring event that has anything to do with spirituality, at one point or another they start speaking in a moderate amount of OLD ENGLISH?
Even a moderate amount is TOO much.

Let me criminalize myself first by stating right off the bat that I’m a Christian, and that I have seen it from Christians as much as anyone else on ATS and elsewhere.

I will not link to threads directly to make my points, but I think everyone knows what I’m talking about.

New agers
Christians
Those claiming to be a god for petes sake.
Those claiming to be a devil or Satan himself.
Basically every religion I have witnessed here on ATS and television and in person are guilty of this crap.

It doesn’t matter, whenever expressing a profound point of perceived enlightenment the air of superiority is expressed via Old English.

In my opinion it is lame, and pointless, along with the fact that:

1. It pisses me off and probably everyone else that reads as well.
2. It lends absolutely ZERO credibility to your argument. What, because you can speak in a way that is akin to how the King James Bible is written you are now vindicated?

3. Arrogant arrogant arrogant.

4. Just plain stupid.

I will give a fictional example:

[Arrogantposter20: I was contacted by a demon last night who was actually an alien from the planet Leader 3. He has a message for the world. “Verily I say unto all the earth, the days of wrath shall befall mankind for crimes thou hast committed against the mother earth for thou not having alternative energies.”]

[Skepticalposter20: Uhh….Negative, I think you are full of baloney dude and you sound ridiculous. Whatch think of that?]

[Arrogantposter20:…… Be ye warned, one doth not speak so mindlessly against the wise Zagroff and get away with it. Soon all shall see, for the time of understanding is upon ye all.]

When I read posts like this from anyone who is approaching the message boards in a spiritual direction, I can only face palm my self while I “doth” proclaim WTF?

I’m asking why, why speak like this?
What does it do for their ego?

Do supposed gods and aliens speak in such ways to this date?
Should we bring back this archaic form of speaking?

Does God still speak to Christians in this way? I can’t say I have ever heard a voice say to me, “Verily the chariot thou hast seen is the chariot of God.”

Why?
I’ll tell you why, Because these things have no relevance to modern day humans.
Just like if you see a sign in the sky it’s NOT likely to be a dude clothed in a Roman style toga, with an actual golden scroll and or trumpets?

I do believe God has spoken to me, regardless of what an atheist may think about it.
Maybe I’m mentally problematic, who cares.

The point I’m making is the following;

Lose the Shakespearian-esque ego speak, if you want people to take you even one iota more seriously.

Whatever you do, if you want be preachy, don’t do it in such a profoundly moronic way, for the good of us all.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Methinks thou dost prostestith too much.

Sorry, I honestly couldn't resist. Besides, it's Shakespeare.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Hey I am with you on this--it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I seem to find it a lot in threads of the "enlightened prophets" and "seers" who alone know the truth. LOL

It is a pretty good gauge to go by that the thread is better suited for "file 13" (the trash).
IMO of course.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

LMAO..

touché.. I totally set myself up for that one.
I needed that laugh thanks.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

No problem at all! Actually, since my entire knowledge of Shakespeare comes from a few Leo Dicaprio movies and an episode of Gilligans Island I was just really stoked that I finally found a chance to use that line!

Now if you'd just find a way to start a thread where I can say "Get thee to a nunnery..." I'll be beyond hyped.

[edit on 8/4/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
Hey I am with you on this--it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I seem to find it a lot in threads of the "enlightened prophets" and "seers" who alone know the truth. LOL

You hit the nail directly on the head.

old English = I know the truth and you don't = arrogance =

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Whatith art thou talking aboutith, oh yea I am befuddled, I ner dith notith.
Yea verily I say unto you, I thinketh I soundith mo liketh bugs bunny.

Daffy duck?

Elmer Fudd?

[edit on 113131p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
at least people still understand the message.
if i started rambling in spanish, a few might hit on words like amigo, but that;d be about it.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I just feel that it is more empirical to your points if you were to use old English, Latin and other archaic forms of language to explain your message via translated meaning; rather than commenting in said languages.

Example;
Latin says this, Exceptio firmat regulam in casibus non exceptis
Old English style; Thy exception confirms thy rule a case where it be not axcepted.
Modern usage; The exception confirms the rule in cases which are not excepted.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I don't recall ever seeing that happen, I hope I do soon, I have been missing out, can you post a link?

[edit on 113131p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
lol, I found your examples funny. Thus, I grant thee a big S&F.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I would love to actually pinpoint those guilty parties involved, unfortunately I am not at liberty to do so.

You see, for one reason, the idea just came to me today as I was thinking of a post i read a few month ago. It was something to do with a person who alone held the truth and knowledge of the universe. I don't remember the title.

Secondly, there was another one where someone gave like 20 posts of a supposed conversation between himself and the devil I think, where in there was some old school English thrown around when people didn't agree. Don,t remember the thread.

Lastly, Even if I did remember I wouldn't give the title threads on the basis that I believe it is inappropriate to criminalize other posters for merely the way they talk. Even if it bugs the hell out of me.

But if you haven't seen it yet I promise you will.
Thou shalt see,, I doth vehemently swear this to ye!

[edit on 4-8-2010 by snowen20]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Hey Snowen...
Your post is a hoot! Great examples, like Wookiep said...

To answer your question, it could be a 'holier than thou' arrogance (

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

I expected as much.

Honestly I can see why this would happen with Christians, and toa large degree with Christians more than anyone.

But I don't get why it would be the case with New Agers/ Alternative religions, and Alien communication and the like.

If the words carry strong emotional response when you read a book written in an archaic language, that's fine. I think one should be more careful when conveying those same sentiments to others as it doesn't carry the same weight.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
May the Big Cahoona of the fundie fruitcakes smite thy ass for such blasphemous trifling.

S&F brother. As a fellow Christian I feel your pain. I don't mind the occasional scripture quote in the vernacular of the King James but to droll on and on tends to come across as "holier than thou" simple mindedness.

I've always written it off to the tin foil being a little to tight and cutting off blood flow to the brainium.

Great thread and a good laugh not to mention some very high ethical standards to not name names!!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by new_here

Honestly I can see why this would happen with Christians, and toa large degree with Christians more than anyone.

But I don't get why it would be the case with New Agers/ Alternative religions, and Alien communication and the like.

they are all closet Christians?

If the words carry strong emotional response when you read a book written in an archaic language, that's fine. I think one should be more careful when conveying those same sentiments to others as it doesn't carry the same weight.

I totally agree here. It really does come off as pretentious. It sounds like purposefully invoking words from the past, in an attempt to prove a special wisdom worthy of respect. I'm not sure they even realize how sanctimonious they sound. I think they think they just sound reeeally smart (or: learn-ed in Old E! lol)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I partley balme Hollywood.

The reason being that in almost all movies of biblical account they speak in old English.
NOW I’LL DROP A NAME…Clears Throat… CHARLTON HESTON…

Greatest story ever told,
Moses
Ben Hur
As well as a few others.

These movies play on the emotions of people, especially those of spiritual persuasion, couple this with dramatic musical score and sweeping cinematography, you have the makings of a dramatic statement.

FYI, dramatic music doesn’t play for those speaking in old English on ATS or anywhere else, hence I’m unaffected by it’s impact.

However my heart is seared with the desire to give you a noogie.

PS: Not sure Heston was in Ben Hur. But you get my point.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by snowen20]

[edit on 5-8-2010 by snowen20]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
My friend loved to go on and on with his "old English" but the accent he wold throw in made him sound like he had speech impediments

I found what you wrote to be mostly true. Humans are mostly way to arrogant in what they "believe" and are blinded by the truth.

I know Christians, Muslims, Jews, Cultists, Freemasons, and others who we shall not speak of.. However they all poses that same lingering level of arrogance and self righteousness. Even non believers are no better sadly, especially if they are part of an ideology, *cough* Marxism, Anarchism *cough*.

You do not have to read a book to see the truth or gain illumination, you do not have to listen to some other person, you simply have to build up a clear understanding from within uncontaminated by the elements of human nature.

To many people follow blindingly after other people and that is where the problem always is. Truth? it's everywhere!

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Freedomrus]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
What dost thou haveth against the Old English Man? Hey man! I sayeth unto you, "thou cans't not make fun of the playwright."

Verily I say unto thee, "where wouldst thou be without him?"......his works have inspireth us to the depths of our souls....yay yay, whad I say?

No needeth to useth spell check.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Yeah, its annoying. Likewise, the "idiot-talk" is annoying too, and I've been seeing so much of it lately

fictional examples:

"omg i saw a ghost teh other day and it like came out of my tv and scurred me so bad"

"dudez just cuz u don agree with teh michael moore documennaries, don diss on ppl who do like em"

makes me want to bang my head against the wall

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join