It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RFID chips snooped from 66 metres

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
From the hacker who managed to listen to cell phones with 1500$ worth of equipment :

Paget also reckons the US military could read an EPC Gen2 tag from 80 miles off, though the connection would likely time out before any data was retrieved. Which is a shame as his calculations put the theoretical maximum read range at 317 miles, if you've got a big enough dish.

Source: www.theregister.co.uk...

I taught about getting a new driving licence with RFID to enter U.S. more quickly. I will throw those plans in the trash bin, or make sure to keep it inside a faraday cage.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This is why I bought one of these:

RFID Blocking Wallet

I have test it, with my RFID badge from work. If my badge is inside, the RFID reader won't notice it.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Kind of dispels one of the marketing points of RFID chips which stated that the range was much smaller...this is a pretty relevant article in my opinion and suggests that with different frequencies that long range tracking/influencing is more than plausible...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Thanks for the link. I was about to search for something like that but you saved me precious time. That is more elegant than wrapping my wallet with tin foil.
I guess tin foil hats are not THAT stupid after all...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I've never been able to test if this works on my Ontario Drivers license, as I don't have the equipment, but I have my drivers license wrapped in 2 layers of aluminium foil. (From what I've researched, it seems it does work)

A single layer of aluminum foil of only 27 microns thick is often enough to block the RFID signals of most readers

www.rpi-polymath.com...

www.metacafe.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
About 2 years ago I decided to cut up and destroy my Visa Check Card. Under the hologram is a microchip. (I had worn the hologram down through so many swipes)... I am not 100% *sure* it is RFID or not.

Before I shredded the card I wrote down the card number and expiration date, also the 3-digit security code on the back.

Well, as my spending habits at the time were out of control I wanted to buy something online. The *very* next day I tried to buy something online using the written down information. Believe me, I tripple-checked the info I wrote down from the card before I shredded it into 50 pieces.

To my surprise, the card did not work. I tested this on various websites, not just Amazon.com and other websites that had my credit card number on file. It simply baffled and frankly, frightened me.

I have no way to account for it. I never called anyone, never told anyone...not my bank, certainly not visa.

How this card did not work the very next day is beyond me. I had money in my account to boot. This very fact prompted me to get an RFID blocking wallet.

I even traveled to Europe with it without problems. I would have thought such a wallet would be of interest going through airport security. Nope, just put it on the tray and let them x-ray it.

No problems.

Like I said, I have several known RFID badges for my job -- and I tested them inside and outside the wallet. It works. The "foil" used in these wallets is present (if you really look you can tell it's there) ... but normally, no one would ever know. Nice wallet to boot -- quality leather! Good price anyway for a leather wallet.

A pretty transparent solution IMO. I even bought one for my best friend who is more paranoid than me.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by MystikMushroom]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it really works or not, but I accidentally nuked (microwaved) my newest driver's license. (it just accidentally found itself in there!)

I hear that the RFID's in the new "Real ID" cards can be destroyed via 10-30 seconds of microwave radiation.

I was sure glad it accidentally was in the microwave with my slice of pizza, just in case it really works.

Still had no problems entering/leaving the country for Europe with it. Perhaps they aren't yet actually utilizing the RFID's in our drivers licenses. Sort of a "one day" plan?

[edit on 2-8-2010 by MystikMushroom]

top topics

join