It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

... scientists believed the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013.

What was actually said was this:
"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years

The sun is beginning to wake up now, not "sometime around 2013". "Unprecedented levels of magnetic activity" are not expected.

Gee Phage, I am curious to know....how long do they think the sun has been asleep? It's been pretty active every day where I live. What do they mean by "deep slumber"....does the sun have like sleep apnea?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

In 2008 there were 266 days with no sunspots, the highest since 1913 and the forth highest since 1849. In 2009 there were 260 days with no sunspots.

The Sun has been very quiet. Please excuse the poetic license.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Having seen this on rense also, & then the New Scientist page, I checked out the aurora watchers at solar terrestrial dispatch & spaceweather. The watchers must be sleeping- not so much as a forecast (though their little graphic did show a "possible" for high latitude activity). Spaceweather was peculiar. 40% probability of storm conditions in the middle latitudes (o_0) and only 45% in the high ones?

Poke me when there's an X class. I'm too far south to hope for anything else.

I think the "long slumber" refers to the fact that the solar cycle has taken longer than usual to get going. It's off to a slow start & has it's work cut out to match or top 2003.
There was an X17 Nov 2 & between an X30 & X40 (estimated. it was off the charts- possibly the most intense in history. "It saturated the [GOES] x ray sensors for 11 minutes.") on Nov 4 of 2003. You can read about it (the middle of the page) at

spacew.com...

I was on my computer hoping for the Bz to drop far enough that we might see something here. Nothing dramatic happened as far as we could tell. I still communicated with people up north & in California on the internet & there was no discernible effect on our cell phones or electricity.
But there was a brilliant red glow in Houston, Texas.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The last CME we had, my tv kept pixelating, you couldn't watch anything for the whole evening. I suppose that isn't much to worry about. I would be really concerned if it were an m class or x.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
will the lights or whatnot thats gonna happen be visable from montana? flathead valley aproximately?never seen anything like it

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoundClarity
Any idea when it's supposed to "arrive"??

Second line..

Thats getting so annoying

First line....

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
At 3:10 to 3:15AM EST I was out smoking a ciggie and saw a green flash in the sky to the NE. I live in East coast of central Florida. The flash lasted as long as it takes me to say "there and gone", was spherical in shape, and did not light up the whole of the sky. This was, from my perspective, right below the Pleades cluster and behind a neighbors damnd tree down the street. It was not a blown transformer or I would have heard it, and it was green and seemed to only light up a circle (filled, not outline) of the sky. I am 10 miles from the Atlantic so this was over the ocean and am wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this. I must say that I always look up at the sky when I am out at night, and today I had a couple internet connection problems and 1 instance of my electricity flicker, so I had it in my mind that those things were from the solar flare. And then before going to bed I see this... IDK maybe I was too tired and had solar flare on my mind, and I halucinated seeing an aurora borealis thingie. One other thing... I was looking that way because there was a bright star more northern in the NE than the flash. It is probable one of our planets as it was alome and very bright. But why I was looking at it is because it was not close to the horizon and yet still flickered and pulsed like there was a lot of atmospheric disturbance between me and it... then I see the green flash, there and gone. I move around so I can see around the tree (up the street a bit, then to my front porch) to maybe see what made it or see it again. I did not see it again after looking in that direction again for the next 15 minutes. But before I went back in I noticed that the star/planet I was originally looking at is not twinkling as much as it was.

Sorry for the rant. Had to tell someone.

Anyone experience this tonight (8/3/10 3:14AM PST) ???

The temp

I also posted this under the topic: Solar blast heading toward Earth which was more recent but less populated.

Eit to add: if I am halucinating, then it's all your guyses faults since I read this topic at around noon (8/2/10).

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Tempest333]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
We will be fine tomorrow - no M or X flares. Look for the aurora, should be fantastic!

The sun is waking up, it does seem to be waking rather quickly with a lot of jolt. I do wonder if we might not make it until 2013 to experience something more intense that would affect us here on earth.

i was actually wondering if it would be possible that instead of the peak of this next solar cycle hitting later, that it will just be more intense?

i mean, they pushed the estimated peak back from 2012 to 2013 due to low activity, could they be wrong in the mechanics here?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Good post ! Its not a matter of if... Its a matter of when... G 5 Extreme: Power systems: : widespread voltage control problems and protective system problems can occur, some grid systems may experience complete collapse or blackouts. Transformers may experience damage.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

That's a good mind set to have, though you make the paper sound like alex jones or something. No, the Telegraph is in every single convienient store, super market and many other shops in britain, it's a BIG paper. but yeh, there could be lies, just thought id point that out.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Is this the kind of thing that would make me say goodbye to my cell phone, TV, internet???? I noticed my WiFi was not working this morning.

Darn! And I just got an iPhone.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Is this the kind of thing that would make me say goodbye to my cell phone, TV, internet???? I noticed my WiFi was not working this morning.

Darn! And I just got an iPhone.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I know u mean well but if I see one more tread on her that is total hyperbole or in CAPS or has !!! on it, I'm gonna puke. FGDCS(For Goddamn Christs Sake)[Coined here bitches] is this all ATS has come to! Quit seizing every Drudge headline for a REVALATION! # happens. Deal with
it We're all gonna die, just like every other generation b4 us. Of old age. Or violently. Even if the Aliens come or Jesus. We will die. I believe in eternity or the soul and all that # but we have to die to get there. Quit ur stupid # of fear mongering of every little wave or solar flare. Get right with Jesus and you won't fear.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Already being discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

Actually, 'The Telegraph' newspaper is one of the more honest and factual papers in the UK.

It's not a tabloid such as 'The Sun', 'The Mirror', 'The Star' is.

This paper broke the abu grabe prison scandle, the MP expenses (MP's nicking the public's money) and a lot of other high profile stories of late.

I personally don't read any newspapers, but if i did, i'd read the Telegraph.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Maybe the evolution is something that happens quickly with mutations time to time. Maybe the sun's eruptions have so much radiation it alters our genetics and makes living things change. Just a wild idea.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thewanger
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I know u mean well but if I see one more tread on her that is total hyperbole or in CAPS or has !!! on it, I'm gonna puke. FGDCS(For Goddamn Christs Sake)[Coined here bitches] is this all ATS has come to! Quit seizing every Drudge headline for a REVALATION! # happens. Deal with
it We're all gonna die, just like every other generation b4 us. Of old age. Or violently. Even if the Aliens come or Jesus. We will die. I believe in eternity or the soul and all that # but we have to die to get there. Quit ur stupid # of fear mongering of every little wave or solar flare. Get right with Jesus and you won't fear.

As I read this reply I imagined it as conversation around the table at the last supper, from the 13th apostle, you know the one that everyone gets quiet when the door opens and he walks in, Grumpius Vulgarius, the one Jesus just shakes his head at.
Thanks Storm it's nice to be kept updated on these solar activities, the info I got from you, O.T. and Phage will make for good night sky watching,
the morning chuckle from Wangs fear sermon was great, I look forward to the anger from the mount instructional dvd set, available soon.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I was wondering why my wireless internet was playing up last night. It kept lagging all over the show and disconnecting for a minute and then starting back up again. I didn't know anything about this, if i did i would have paid more attention to the sky.

What kind of time (GMT) is it expected to be at its worse? if anyone has access to that kind of information it would be highly appreciated

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bjsmi2

And is the current geomagnetic storm that's coming a G5?

No.

It's rated at G1.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
check out this interesting interview from Red Ice..

this has happened a few times recently that ive been listing to an interview on RIC and then come here and seen a topic on the front page that is about a similar thing...

www.redicecreations.com...

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join