It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by trinity369

What makes you think the images were deleted? Were they there before?

It is not uncommon for data to not be transmitted or received. But I suppose every missing frame just has to mean something is being "hidden".

SOHO is has been in what is referred to as a "keyhole", a position when data loss occurs.
soho.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Didn't they get the MEMO?
2012! Not 2013 Sheesh!

The Daily Telegraph disclosed in June that senior space agency scientists believed the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013.

12-21-2012 is around 2013 as stated.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I get some pretty wild ideas, so bear with me guys, what if HAARP could be used as a shield for CME's or EMP's. I admit I don't know enough about physics so don't laugh too hard. I had read that HAARP can really give a boost to the ionosphere. How many space probes have been launched to the sun recently? Too many, the solar cycle is way off it's predictable track and this has been observed to relate to extreme activity. I've also heard speculation about an inescapable halo CME capable of causing pole shift.
I know it's not as fun as speculating that HAARP is a doomsday weapon, but it's creation comes at a very peculiar moment in time.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage
But I am still wondering whats goin on with the loading time
things are takin a while today. not usuall

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank You Phage. I was not aware of the (keyhole period) that SOHO passes through. This would ex plane the lack of data during a bake out. I stand corrected, the data was not deleted, just unavailable. I will chose my terms in a more appropriate fashion in the future. Thank You for the explanation.
trinity369

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Noaa puts these alerts in more perspective. They are what the power and communications industries use. You can sign up to get the alerts.
Go the the graphical alerts/currently in effect to see a timeline.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhistpunk

Interesting doom and gloom scenario.

I wonder is such an event were to happen right now, and did knock out power grids with the incredible heat, especially in the southern states, how many would die from the heat?

He speaks (in the video) of having the government prepared etc. but what about the average Joes and Janes out there?

Maybe one day a solar flare will be humanity's greatest test.

Nature will find a way.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I awoke this morning saying the word "Carrington". I did not recall a dream with that name but now that I read this I suspect there is reason to believe that a Carrington level event may happen today of over the next few years.

Panic is never helpful. Better to prepare like a survivalist or like one expecting a blizzard or a hurricane. Do what one can, have a cup of tea, or better yet have some Madeira, my dear.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

"The day after tomorrow"

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 123xxxx

"The day after tomorrow"

I was just thinking of The Knowing and how that ended.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Is there an ETA? I mean, with the upper atmosphere collapse a couple weeks ago, I wouldn't be so sure our grids won't be affected.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Yay, I will prepare some popcorn and a chair for tonight's show. Those auroras are magnificent.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

We may begin seeing the effects of the CME later today but I wouldn't bet on it, the odds are about even.

The upper atmosphere did not collapse a couple weeks ago. The "collapse" occurred in 2008 and 2009. It is currently rebounding.

The atmosphere does not protect us from CMEs, the Earth's magnetic field does.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i wounder if the incresae of charged particals in the magnetosphere will increase the effectivness of haarp

i beleive the amount of energy being disapated may have a influence on the atmoshpere

and i beleive the earths capasatence may be increased for a small amount of time if correct there would be more lightning earth quakes and movement in the atmosphere

thoughts?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

My thoughts? I don't think you've provided enough information for me to comment on.

Increase the effectiveness of HAARP at doing what? Since on of the main functions of HAARP is to study the effects of solar activity on the ionosphere, I guess that they may have something to study.

Influence on the atmosphere? What sort of influence? What part of the atmosphere? Do you have any evidence that past CMEs have affected the atmosphere? Do you have any reason to believe that the recent CME (which was not particularly impressive) will have any particular effect?

Why do you believe the Earth's capacitance would be increased? How would that cause more lightning, earthquakes, and movement in the atmosphere?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Solar wind is up and boht proton density and magnetic components spiked between 1700 and 1800 GMT. Im thinking that was the flare, cme wave cant be far behind.
Didnt catch an image of the auroral power map at that time though so not sure if it got to lower lattitudes. I hope the CME wave doesnt hit till later though, still midday here.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Good question. I know me and my partner would be heading north, that's for sure.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Soeitus

Density is actually quite low. Typically a high speed, low density solar wind stream is produced by coronal holes. Like these which were visible a couple of days ago.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Wow!!!!

Everything from Earthquakes, to Hurricanes, to the Apocalypse. With spontaneous DNA activation thrown in for good measure.

It was a C-class flare people! Pretty minor stuff. It was followed by a partially earth directed CME, which was moderate at best. We'll be lucky if lower lattitude's get a good light show but that's about it.

We had a sudden impulse event, a couple of hours ago:

Space Weather Message Code: SUMSUD
Serial Number: 109
Issue Time: 2010 Aug 03 1753 UTC

SUMMARY: Geomagnetic Sudden Impulse
Observed: 2010 Aug 03 1741 UTC
Deviation: 21 nT
Station: Boulder

With only a possible G1 storm for the 5th:

Space Weather Message Code: WATA20
Serial Number: 461
Issue Time: 2010 Aug 02 1956 UTC

WATCH: Geomagnetic A-index of 20 or greater predicted
NOAA Scale: Periods reaching the G1 (Minor) Level Likely
Valid for UTC Day: 2010 Aug 05

Wouldn't get too worked up about this.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Soeitus]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You're right Phage. As usual.

I've never to seen a higher proton density than the 11 p/cc we saw earlier today. How high can it get ? And it is only from the high speed streams from coronal holes ?

Thanks for the help.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join