It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Pieces of Evidence That Suggests Intelligent Alien Life Exists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+63 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Skeptics and believers are constantly combating each other as to whether or not there is intelligent life in the universe. Skeptics use lack of evidence as their main offensive and defensive weapon, but here I will submit to you 5 amazing pieces of evidence that suggests that intelligent extraterrestrial life exists.

1. UFO's in Ancient History
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b5361dcff34.jpg[/atsimg]

George Bernard Shaw once famously quipped, “We learn from history that we learn nothing from history”. This quote is fitting to this piece of evidence that suggests the UFO phenomenon has been around as long as human civilization has existed and yet it is consistently dismissed. Today many UFO sightings are often explained away as being the US military testing some new technological weapon or plane, but this explanation cannot be used in a time when human flight was impossible.

The painting above is titled “The Madonna with Saint Giovannino” and dates back to around the 15th century. The painting depicts the Virgin Mary in the foreground, and in the background is what appears to be a man looking up in awe at an object that is strikingly similar to our modern day perception of a UFO.

This is not the only example of UFOs in ancient art. There are literally hundreds of examples of objects in the sky in many paintings spanning across the centuries. Strangely, the majority of the paintings depict UFOS in connection with a spiritual figure or experience. This could be how the people of the period interpreted the things they were seeing or perhaps there is a literal connection between the spiritual and UFOs.

Erich von Däniken, author of the famous and controversial Chariots of The Gods, suggests that our gods and angles maybe intelligent aliens. In the Old Testament, The Book of Ezekiel discusses an encounter with a strange flying object made of metal that took the shape of a wheel. Inside were four living creatures that looked like humans. Many people believe the Bible to be the literal word of God; it should be especially hard for those people to ignore this evidence. It is the Gospel after all.

Many may have a hard time taking the theories of Däniken seriously, but even respected astrophysicist Carl Sagan believed that we should seriously consider the possibility that extraterrestrial contact occurred in the past, so we should not completely dismiss this idea.

2. Astronauts Have Seen UFO's
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed81ea25e15f.jpg[/atsimg]

Three days into the Apollo 11 flight the astronauts on board sent a strange message to mission control asking, “Do you have any idea where the S-4B is with respect to us?” The astronauts were asking where the final stage of the rocket was, which had been detached two days prior. The reason for this inquiry was because something was riding along side of the rocket and if it wasn’t part of the rocket, Apollo 11 had a visitor.

The crew on board did not want to make a big deal out of the object for fear that it would cause a panic and mission control would order the astronauts to abandon the mission. “The three of us were not going to blurt out, ‘hey Houston we got something moving along side of us and we don’t know what it is’ we weren’t about to do that…someone might of demanded we turn back because of aliens or whatever it is,” said astronaut Buzz Aldrin when discussing the situation at a later date.

Mission control did answer the astronaut’s cryptic question about the location of the S-4b unit. The unit was 6,000 miles from their location. What Aldrin and the other three astronauts were looking at was an Unidentified Flying Object exhibiting an intelligent flight path. In fact, according to Dr. David Baker, an Apollo 11 Senior Scientist, astronauts seeing UFOs is not uncommon and dates back to the early earth orbit space flights.

If your friend who works at the video store claims to have seen a sea monster, his story has very little credibility. If an experienced Naval Captain claims to have seen a sea monster then his sighting has tremendous credibility. If experienced and respected astronauts are seeing evidence of intelligent life outside of Earth it should also be taken very seriously.

3. The WOW Signal
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1a6be0b290a.jpg[/atsimg]

In 1977, at Ohio Sate University, The Big Ear radio telescope picked up an unusual signal. Big Ear used numbers and letters to determine the strength of a signal, 0 being meaningless noise and Z being a strong radio signal. An astronomer, Dr. Jerry R. Ehman, studying the data from the telescope was shocked when a radio signal clocking in at ‘6EQUJ5’ came from a seemingly empty spot in space. Ehman was so shocked that he circled the signal on the data sheet and simply wrote ‘Wow’.

The transmission lasted 37 seconds and came from the Sagittarius constellation. Even more interesting is the fact that the nearest star in that specific direction is 220 million light years away. In other words, the signal came from an empty spot in space. It is also interesting to note that the signal had all the characteristics of an interstellar broadcast.

Some have tried to explain that the signal is somehow of an Earthly origin, but this seems unlikely as the signal was in a frequency that is internationally banned on Earth. The conclusion that has the most evidence going for it is that it is of an extraterrestrial origin, and because there are no stars near where the signal was found one can conclude that it came from a spacecraft manned by intelligent entities.

4. The Drake Equation
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ab66b48095e9.jpg[/atsimg]

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;
R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
ƒp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
ƒℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
ƒc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Radio astronomer Frank Drake developed the Drake equation so he could estimate the number of planets harboring intelligent life in the galaxy by taking into consideration the factors listed above. A rigorous estimate using the Drake Equation was implemented in 2001, which also took into consideration the number of planets that are in the habitable zone (The habitable zone is an area around a star were water is in liquid form, temperature is ideal, and photosynthesis is possible). The results found that hundreds of thousands of life-bearing planets statistically should exist. It also suggested that a habitable planet like the Earth should exist just a few hundred light years away.

I find it unfair if I did not now also give equal mention to the Fermi paradox. The Fermi paradox states that if so many planets exist with intelligent life why is there a lack of contact between the intelligent life and us and why is there such a lack of physical evidence of said intelligent life. The paradox exists in that the Drake equation statistically proves life should be abundant and yet physical evidence says otherwise. It is hard to combat the arguments from the Fermi paradox except that some physical evidence does exist as you can see from this writing.

5. SETI Radio Signal February 2003
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/53c9a02862e7.jpg[/atsimg]

In 2003, astronomers with the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) used a massive telescope to examine sections of the sky where they had previously found unexplained radio signals. They found another radio signal that was even stronger than what they had previously found.

The signal came from an area in space where there are no planets or stars and strangely was at a frequency that hydrogen absorbs, ensuring that the signal would be strong and could travel great distances. The signal was detected on three separate occasions.

“The signal is moving rapidly in frequency and you would expect that to happen if you are looking at a transmitter on a planet that’s rotating very rapidly and where the civilization is not correcting the transmission for the motion of the planet,” Says USB researcher Eric Korpela. Considering the signal operates as if it is intelligently operated and the fact that it was detected multiple times one has to consider this SETI signal the best candidate for proof of intelligent life on other planets.

I'm sure none of these are to new to most ATS alien forum members, but they are interesting to say the least.

I think there has to be other life in the universe, whether or not they are visiting us tho is something I'm undecided on and will remain open minded about untill proven one way or the other.

Source

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I've always had the belief that there's plenty of life out there in the universe. There's just no way for me to believe anything else. Nowdays alot of people don't stop to think just how big the universe is and some of the stuff you posted in this thread. Alot of people don't think outside of Earth which I suppose keeps those thoughts from coming in.

I would just love to see some hard proof though. But people have to realize just how enormous our universe is haha. Like that link says, a planet like earth could be a couple hundred lightyears away. Which in terms of the universe isn't all that far. But it is far, you know? Even that "short distance" is very far away.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Judohawk]

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Judohawk]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Let me start by stating that I do believe that life exists elsewhere in the universe.

With that in mind I find it hard to believe that within such a short distance of earth i.e. a couple hundred light years according to the drake equation that life spontaneously started, then flourished, evolved and became advanced enough to visit earth on a regular basis. I do believe that life exists outside of our solar system however I do not believe that the drake equation takes into account for all the variables related to intelligent lifeforms existing.

As for the sightings of UFOs in paintings, cave drawings and various other art and communication forms throughout the ages I believe that these led to the creation of formal religions around the world. This phenomenon is quite fascinating but artists are by nature quite creative and have created masterpieces that include all sorts of paranormal events. Just because a significant number of artists have forged images of the devil does not mean that I believe in a supernatural being that will punish a soul for the sins of that soul's master.

With the sightings of UFOs by astronauts I believe that this is the most credible evidence of lifeforms outside of our galaxy visiting earth. This is the only possible explanation for a person held in such high regard to risk their well deserved reputation to report a sighting.

The two reports of signals being heard from places in the universe that do not have signs of anything being able to transmit a signal. Well I will hold off judgment on those until more proof can be shown. While working in the RF field I have found that any anomaly found on any frequency has many explanations. I have tried to research this information further and the amount of first hand factual data is limited. I am sure their is an explanation whether that explanation is extra-terrestrial or not is still up in the air in my mind.

Thank you for the post.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
This is a fantastic thread. Simple yet informative. I've grown up believing in other life on other planets, either far away or not so much. This was due to an experience my father had with my aunt and the next door neighbors when they were growing up. When he talked about it he would get all flustered and his eyes would tear up. I even got confirmation from my aunt (who was there) and my grandmother, who came after the incident happened when everyone was freaked out and crying.

So I have my personal reasons to believe in such a phenomenon and I hope more is added to this thread/list. I will try to find something to add once I get near my computer.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I'm not sure ... A lot of these stories go quite back and forth, but never seem to have any definitive answers.

I have a soft spot for 'Chariots of the Gods' by Erich von Däniken. It was one of the first books I really read cover to cover on these topics. I found the book fascinating, and its content really widens by critical mind.

Saying this though, most of his theories did not have the best supportive research and, though compelling, the information was often flawed and full of conjecture.

Later, I read 'Crash Go The Chariots' and also found it fascinating. I have one of the later editions which had some discourse between the authors of the books; I feel Däniken came out the worse in the debate although he brought a number of concepts to the public.

It makes me wish that the people who discovered these ideas to start with had the foresight to hold onto them for some time rather than blurting them out in a big pile immediately.

I'd really have preferred Däniken take his best theories and research them to death than having all his theories frowned upon due to a high percentage of them being weak in execution.

I was fairly sure the astronauts seeing a UFO thing was misreported though? And the 'WOW' one was also an error? But I suppose all that depends if you believe in cover ups.

Old info here, but yes something to talk about.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Awesome thread, it would be great if we could somehow decode what it is there trying to say, maybe one day

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
We are just cavemen who happen to peek just a little outside our tiny little cave. And because most of us don't see any animals or plants in our little area, we can't assume the entire world is like our tiny little cave too.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Very good my friend! I feel this is something you can bring to the average person who doesn't know much on the topic. I can't stand it when someone is being introduced to the idea of aliens and the word "reptilians" appears. Your evidence is grounded with logic not hearsay.

Needless to say
S&F

-E-

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
There just trying to cover it up but its hard for them cause its in plain sight.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Bumping thread.

Bump.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
We exist here as proof. It should require a much higher burden of proof to assume we are alone than to assume we share the universe with a multitude of life. Do the stars revolve around the Earth or is it only our limited point of view that causes us to see things the way we do?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
A thought came to me the other day (I know, you could smell the wood burning LOL).

Anyway it went along the lines of this...

-Right now Humans are getting closer to finding life out in the Milky Way

-The discovery of said life will by "proxy" if you will. It will come via Optical means, Readings of gasses in a exo planets atmosphere etc.

-Ok, so we find another Earth. Now we start looking for telltale signs of intelligent life. We don't find any. Hmm.

-We keep our sensors pointed at this planet for years after year after year. Nothing.

-Then I thought "Well if an exo-civilzation found Earth during the time of the Dinosaurs, they would have a -very-long wait before they found signs of intelligent life."

-Lets think about that for a moment. If Alien civilzation A (being at about or a little ahead of our current tech level) around star X discovered Earth at the end of the reign of the Dinosaurs They would have to wait 65 million years (and change) before radio started beeping out from Earth.

-In 65 million years a civilization and its originating species is going to change in ways we cannot even imagine. At what point would Earth not interest them anymore?

-At what point does this civilzation have the ability to travel the stars? if its less then 65 million years they still won't find anyone here worth talking to.

So in the end I realized we may have a very long wait in front of us to find neighbors to play with.

Anyway, good thread OP, star and flag. Also I have a piece of paper on my desk with the following: SHGb02+14 , from time to time people will ask "Whats that?" and I just say to Google it.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Sorry, wheres that evidence again.....

I don't doubt that Intelligent Life Forms exists beyond the 3rd from
our Sun. I just don't believe they are buzzing around the Planet making
Crop Circles or went to Tutankhamun Xmas Bash or went to the Pagans
Rock and Roll revival at Stonehenge.

I also believe they are not going to come to us, we will have to go to
them. And that will mean making the mother of all Ships and 1,000 times
faster that they are building now.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The picture of the Madonna has been featured many times along with many, many artworks for same period. The ones in question all show a hole in the sky and a celestial light shining down on a figure or group of figures.

This is known as a physical manifestation of the glory of God and how such biblical events were depicted within that period of religious art. It's commonly accepted as such in the art community. Also, bear in mind, these paintings weren't created by eye witnesses - they are portraying a biblical event using the style of the time. That can't be debunked as there is nothing to debunk, it just needs to be viewed as a product of its time.

The Buzz Aldrin quote, well, I'm not sure how that one stands to be honest. It's been said several times that what they saw was indeed the S-4B and the 'riding alongside' is often quoted as being seen from a distance.

The Drake theory is that - a theory. At present there is no empirical evidence that makes it a fact. Regardless of what we would all like to believe (and I include myself in that), we can only currently prove that life exists on one planet - this one. I fully acknowledge that life in forms from microbes to sentient to beyond our understanding may be spread across the universe.. but we have nothing to say that the theory is correct. I'm not even sure why it's given credence at this point as anything other than an acedemical exercise in logic. I'm afraid the Fermi paradox has to still stand personally.

The wow moment and the SETI info are certainly interesting but to suggest they are evidence that intelligent life exists seem to be a little strong - they show two unexplainable (to us at this time) events.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

Pardon me replying to myself, but if anyone would like a classical appreciation of what have been described as UFOs in religious artwork, you could do worse than taking a look at the site below. Not all has been translated into English yet but you'll get the picture if you pardon my pun...

ART and UFO

link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

"The painting above is titled “The Madonna with Saint Giovannino” and dates back to around the 15th century. The painting depicts the Virgin Mary in the foreground, and in the background is what appears to be a man looking up in awe at an object that is strikingly similar to our modern day perception of a UFO."

I have seen that paining countless times, from the very first of its being brought into the UFO arena. However, I don't recall anyone ever commenting on the apparent mothership in the obviously higher, distant background.

link   
As to the question of life.

I would think it as normal for life to exist on other planets as it is to be found around the vents at the bottom of our oceans.

As to the question of "intelligent" life.

I will not go into particulars here but, I know what I know and I know what I have seen. It's like when you have seen a banana and try to tell a friend who has not.

If a life form can traverse the distances involved with such a venture, any major resistance could be fatal. If they are intelligent enough to make such a trip, maybe they would be aware of the impact of their presents on our societies.

Then again; maybe we are just some really smart alien kids high school science project.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I am sure intelligent alien life exists; it is just how many other planets have life and what this intelligent life may take the form of. I don’t know if we would even recognize all of the different forms of life that might exist. Where it is possible they may have an earth like appearance, it is more likely that they would appear as something we would have no way of recognizing. They might not be able to identify us as an advanced life form either.

Any technology that an advanced race might have might be unidentifiable for us as well. Our technology to them would seem equally as strange.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Somehow I had alway's known that we are not alone... but the proof.... the single word that keeps feeding the debunkers....

For me this is some good evidence that makes it verry plausible that alien life does excist.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I think the burden of proof should be on anyone who asserts that other intelligent life doesn't exist.

Speaking locally, we see life in places that would kill us in moments; at the bottom of nuclear reactors, on the seafloor near boiling hot vents or "smokers", under the antarctic ice shelf.

The ingredients for life are plentiful everywhere we look in the cosmos.

As for intelligent life, if the Earth is even a one in a million lucky shot, like winning the lottery, that still leaves us with the probability of billions of intelligent races.

Why haven't we run into them (at least publicly) so far? The speed of light limit, and unfathomably huge distances.

Say Earth is a one in ten million lotto winner for intelligent life; How far in light-years would we have to look to find another winner? Pretty darned far, maybe 8000 years for any signal to reach us. I'm not talking about a deliberate effort at communication since another civilization probably would not know we were "here", I'm just speaking of the kind of signal leakage that we've been doing for around a hundred years.

Until we get some kind of faster than light medium, we will probably remain very alone in our little solar system. But I'd bet if we ever do get FTL we'll find out pretty quickly that we are far from alone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join