It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC News Video Day 81 Reports 20 % BP Workers Falling Ill & Not Allowed Protective Gear!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
BP still refuses to allow workers to wear protective masks!

MSNBC Reports June 09, 2010 Greenwire Reports June 29th Monitering Data among illness in workers shows that 20 % Off Shore and 15 % Near Shore workers measured toxic levels 10 parts ppm 2 butoxyethanol twice the toxcity level dictated by NIOSH and OHSA standards.

And still, BP denies the workers protective gear! This report has inspired a petition that is to be presented to President Obama asking for protecitve gear to be allowed for the workers!

47 thousand people working to clean up the oil spill, that would mean that possibly near 2 thousand people are reportedly sick from toxic chemicals and fumes released from the Dispersants!

Reports are that the workers were made sick by breathing the fumes from dispersants, mainly COREXIT.

Request that someone who has the ability copy and save the video as the last one dissapeared!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 10-7-2010 by burntheships]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Both Keith Olberman and Anderson Cooper have been reporting on this every night now. They have been getting out a lot of good information. It makes me wonder what they're not telling us, if they are letting this much out on the main news channels.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I am a bit weary of this statistic...I have a long time friend who works at one of the many local places that workers are being "housed"...a lot of them (not all) need a drug test STAT..a background check could not hurt also...the place that they work at won't say a word about their behavior because it is a guaranteed paycheck..before the property was rented out they had dozens of cancellations to deal with...now they are booked for the next 6 months...and they don't have to file a claim for lost $$$....it is always about the $$$$$$$$$$$

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Thanks for letting me know about this video.

I am emailing it to everyone I know!

S&F Excellent work and good find!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I was thinking that very same thing, I was actually shocked to see this, but like you wonder what lurks beneath!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bamagurl

If anything, I would place a bet that the actual number of sick workers is higher than we know yet.

Some of them will keep quiet as long as they can to keep the job, the money coming home to the family etc.

I am just thinking that many many people will be vindicated with the news, and hopefully if they are due compensation, this will help!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Now we're getting somewhere/ Keep the pressure on!
Thanks for posting this.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yes, now this has got to make a huge difference! This is really crucial for everyone who will be impacted by this, not just the workers...Gulf Coast residents also!

The PCCC petition begins by drawing a comparison between "the denial of protective gear that hurt so many 9/11 clean-up workers" and reports from public-health advocates that BP has denied requests for respiratory protection from Gulf oil leak responders.

"President Obama and the federal government must demand that BP allow every clean-up worker who wants to wear respiratory protective equipment to do so -- and ensure that workers get the equipment and training they need to do their jobs safely," the petition states.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

your right i noticed that as well. i cant believe how much the coverage has slowed with a lot of people. I have been keeping anderson copper on every night because it seems he puts out proper/unbias information.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Got to hand it to you girl!! Another good find! Yeah I can believe it! I can believe that the Government would embark on egregious criminal behavior!!

It is disgusting! One day somewhere all these responsible for the deaths that may ensue due to selfish greed, will have to answer for their actions.

Video is safe. Sent u2u explaining.

Star and Flag!!

Pax

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Great to see this news, and I hope it helps!

reply to post by paxnatus

Pax, thanks for the safekeeping! Good work!
It would be awesome to see the workers get protection due to the pressure! Sad that it comes to that.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

When Ryan Heffernan, a volunteer with Emerald Coastkeeper, noticed a bag of oily debris floating off in Santa Rosa Sound, she ran up to BP's HazMat-trained workers to ask if they would retrieve it.

"No, ma'am," one replied politely. "We can't go in the ocean. It's contaminated."

Ryan waded in and retrieved the bag. That was Wednesday, June 23, the first day visible oil hit Pensacola Beach. Ryan had been swimming off the beach the day before, as she said, "to get in my last swim before the oil hit." The trouble is that not all of the oil coming ashore is visible. Dispersed oil - tiny bubbles of oil encased in chemical dispersants - are in the water column. On Thursday Ryan was treated at a local doctor's office for skin rash on her legs.

Three days later on Pensacola Beach, I watched BP's HazMat-trained workers shovel surface oiled sand and oily debris into bags early in the morning. The workers followed the waterline like shorebirds, scurrying up the beach in front of breaking waves and moving back down with receding waters.

The late morning sun retired the workers to the shade of their tents and the job of "observing," while it brought out throngs of beach-goers -- children, parents, grandparents -- who happily plunged into the "contaminated" ocean without a second thought.

[For complete article reference links, please see source at Huffington Post here.]

I was astounded. Why did people think the ocean was safe for swimming?

There were five HazMat tents, four front-loaders, and at least two dozen HazMat workers on the beach. HazMat workers wore yellow over-boots duct-taped to their long pants' legs to minimize risk of contact with the water. The white surf popped with visible black tar balls as it rolled towards the beach. Waves left an oily signature of tar balls on the beach, melting in the sun. The treads of my Chacos weighed down with oily sand despite trying to avoid the mess. Most people were barefoot. Hotels set up oil cleaning stations on their premises - and signs saying the water advisory (put in place after Ryan's incident) had been lifted.

What's wrong with this picture?

Lots. For starters, Ryan's story from Pensacola Beach is not an isolated incident. I have received emails and heard personal stories from Louisiana to Florida of people who have developed skin rashes and blisters from going in the ocean. People describe stings by "invisible jellyfish." Turtle patrol volunteers who walk beaches daily write of blisters and bronchitis. And then there are individuals like Sheri Allen who took her dog for a walk on a beach in Mobile Bay in May.

Sheri wrote me that her "arms and legs were burning, even after the shower. The following morning ... (there were) ... small blood blisters. By evening the blisters had begun to welt. By the fourth day, the areas had got larger and swollen." She went to see a doctor but the sores remain and they have begun to scar her arms and legs. For several days after Sherri's incident, her husband found fish kills on the beach.

William Rea, MD, who founded the Environmental Health Center-Dallas, treated a number of sick Exxon Valdez cleanup workers. He once told me, "When you have sick people and sick animals, and they are sick because of the same chemical, that's the strongest evidence possible that that chemical is a problem."

It's not just skin rashes and blisters. At community forums, I commonly hear from adults and children with persistent coughs, stuffy sinuses, headaches, burning eyes, sore throats, ear bleeds, and fatigue. These symptoms are consistent across the four Gulf states that I have visited. Further, the symptoms of respiratory problems, central nervous system distress, and skin irritation are consistent with overexposure to crude oil through the two primary routes of exposure: inhalation and skin contact.

www.pacificfreepress.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

wow- that article is sickening. i wonder if this will have a wors effect on young children and the elderly. I believe it will be a few months and we'll see people coming out of the woodwork with horrible sickness'.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Did anyone else notice, at 2:55 in the video, the narrator says they're bringing in a new vessel to begin "...collecting from a different part of the leak..."?

I thought there was only one leak. This other leak is getting a whole new vessel to collect from it.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by V1g0r0u5]

[edit on 11-7-2010 by V1g0r0u5]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I'm not too surprised that they are falling ill, and besides these people should have done the research and realised that something was wrong when and if they read the contract properly, now they are ill and cannot sue nor claim off of BP.
BP caused the problem THEY as a company should have used their staff to resolve it but not when people who are desperate for a job and money can be led up the garden path and made to sign anything, I bet that BP are on a totally different contract and would have demanded the correct gear to work in.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
imagine how many people there really is that are sick. im sure BP or any other source is reporting the number. Or think of how many are getting sick nd rashes and arent relating it to the ocean they swam in yet! It baffles me why anyone would go in the ocean a week after the spill let alone a month or two months...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
This is ridiciulous, BP has the government by the balls it seems. How much longer will this continue?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I have no interest in rep vs dems, but if this happened under reps, then the media and hollywood would be wild with slamming teh white house.

Just because hollywood got there man in, no stars or media are slamming the white house, and it is as much there fault as bp's.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
They are actually talking about the oil spill clean-up workers who are getting sick in the Golf on different MSM TV news channels here in Europe, so the word is out over here in some countries that this is happening right now! - they are reporting it.

And they also say that the same thing happened in Alaska after the Exxon Valdez oil disaster, and the TV news people were wondering why all these clean-up workers are falling ill now in the Gulf?

They thought it was worrying and distressing that American clean-up workers now are falling ill in the clean-up effort.

Some news people were asking: don't they wear protective chemical hazmat suits and filter masks?

Just wanted to chime in here with this report & some Euro support - many here think that this is a horrible & terrible situation which is getting worse by the day, and plenty of people that I've spoken to feel the pain of all those people (and animals) who now are affected by this huge oil spill disaster in the Gulf area.

And as most of you guys, they just :shk: their heads and wonder what the hell is going on!

Thanks for the info burntheships! S&F

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
imagine how many people there really is that are sick. im sure BP or any other source is reporting the number. Or think of how many are getting sick nd rashes and arent relating it to the ocean they swam in yet! It baffles me why anyone would go in the ocean a week after the spill let alone a month or two months...

They can still sue. Those waivers hold no water in court, especially if a crime has been committed (there are several being committed with respect to work place safety). They are just another form of intimidation.

<<   2  3 >>

join