It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans kill Senate jobless aid measure (unemployment extension)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
To those that are saying "we don't have the money" or "they are concerned about the impact on the national debt this will have" I just have to call bull#.

This bill that just got voted down would have added .25% to the national debt.

That is not a typo, let me repeat it: .25%

POINT TWO FIVE PERCENT.

The ramifications of this bill not getting passed are tremendous. Unemployment is really the only thing holding this charade of an economy up to begin with. As more and more people are denied benefits, to feed their family, keep a roof over their heads, what do you think the logical conclusion is going to be.

They certainly aren't going to sit around and complain about their situation - they are going to do what it takes to provide for their families. If there is no help from government, and there are no jobs to be had - that really only leaves one other option - and I think most intelligent people here have already come to that conclusion. Anyone that is denying there will be an increase in crime as a result of this is being willingly oblivious.

If this was attached to a war funding bill it would have been passed months ago. That's a sad truth.

The other point I would like to make is that UI extensions are one of the most effective ways to put money back into the economy. Unlike the trickle down theory of economics where the wealthiest are handed all the cash and then piss on the rest of us, and we're supposed to lap up whatever sustenance we can retrieve from urine soaked floor, money that goes into these UI benefits is put right back into the economy. These people aren't holding onto this money, it goes to buy food, and gas, pay utility bills.

Now, as you can see the implications of this are far reaching - and if you can't what are you doing at this site where our creed is to deny ignorance. If this bill is not passed, in a months time, maybe two months time, you will see a complete transformation of this country.

Unemployment numbers may be reduced for a short time while they let those people at the end of tiers fall off the books, however as a result of that you'll see more layoffs, more companies going bankrupt as the poorest of this country can no longer pay their bills and are reduced to sleeping in tents. Things continue down this path though and it's likely that those people getting layed off will have no safety net at all.

I would love to see an honest unemployment figure that counts every person that has exhausted their benefits and still have not found work, however the numbers are not kept because that figure is appalling.

I heard on the ed show, I think yesturday, unemployment right now is really at 18% or worse, but who knows with all the people that fall off the books as they neglect the poorest most needy of this country.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie

If this was attached to a war funding bill it would have been passed months ago. That's a sad truth.

Sad and disgusting because it's so true.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Is that economics theory? I'm pretty bad with things that don't make common sense to me.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Next time Democrats should just attach unemployment benefits to a Iraq or Afghanistan war bill.

Or how about tacking it on to the BILLIONS we keep giving Israel each year?

Of course it will pass as IT DOESN'T MATTER TO REPUBLICANS IF WE CAN PAY FOR THOSE OR NOT.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I don't know why anyone would want the charade to continue to begin with.

We all know the pooch is screwed.

Get mad, get organized, and change the system.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Speaking as an unemployed person ... I applaud the measure. There is absolutely NO reason the GOVERNMENT should be subsidizing people for 2+ years of continued unemployment. THAT is WAY to long to be living off the Government.

Besides that, the Economy cannot recover if we have unproductive people "looking for work" .. the longer they are unemployed and the more desperate they get the more likely they will find ingenious ways of making money and expanding the economy.

Sorry if that upsets some of you fascist but it's the facts.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

Well put.

In my case, I'm not a system rider and never have been. From August of 1980 until November of 2008, I had a job and worked daily. I have only had two jobs in my entire life in fact, have never drawn foodstamps or gov assitance.

Now, at age 48, I find myself 'long term unemployed'---and not due to not seeking work. And the 'burger flipping' route was never even a real option, given the 14-18 other people one would have to compete with for an opening just to make less money than UI paid.

But now almost a panic is setting in, and yes, I imagine many in my exact position will do whatever they must in order to survive. I'm too old and tired to embark on a life of crime, but that is inevitably going to be the route for some. I even imagine suicide might be preferable for some.

Regardless of politics, not extending UI benefits at this time, in this economy, is going to prove to be a huge mistake and any faltering economic 'recovery, will be dead in the water.

Seriously, the situation is grave for a lot of folks. I say strip the bill down to ONLY address the UI extension and pray they pass it, and soon.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

The suicide and murder-suicide rates are way up. I have only analytical evidence from quite a few friends in law enforcement and the military for that at the moment, but believe it. And I think they're blacking that news out.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

Life is rough, no doubt about that.

Federal involvement in UI payments in unconstitutional.

That should be the end of story right there.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Thanks for your thoughts clark.

Seriously, the situation is grave for a lot of folks. I say strip the bill down to ONLY address the UI extension and pray they pass it, and soon.

This I believe is what is coming, and seems like the only logical explanation left. It is either this or it will be attached to the incoming jobs bill. Another possibility is an executive order, but I am not sure of the extent to which Obama can go, and really I don't expect him to do a damn thing since he's done nothing but expedite the rate at which this country crumbles.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

You are absolutely correct that 100% of UI benefits go directly back into the economy. The people that need it are spending it all week to week and budgeting to meet their necessities. Everything is taxed, even if you don't think so. Tax money that goes back into the public coffers then goes
anybodies guess.

In reality, it is a win-win situation, that is if they want to improve the economy, to extend benefits to obviously employable people. But a better idea would be to force banks, the too big to fail ones, to extend credit instead. Businesses are failing because they can't make business.

Corporations have a way of delaying payments in a manner that truly hurts the small business, that affects the small business in way that can double their costs for the work they perform because they get late on paying for their materials.

Banks are the same way. They act as if it were actually their own money they are gambling with when it comes to loans. They don't mind when they gamble on wacky 'financial instruments' with your money, they just get stingy when you want some of it back in the form of a loan.

So financial institutions can get a free ride because we can't let them fail. Lots of regular people lost lots of money, the bailout was a way to say at least you didn't lose everything. The wizards at the top lost nothing, in fact gained more.

Money is a tool, but the source is labor. My point is that labor is needed to create this wealth that is being distributed. Construction, manufacturing, and agriculture need to be promoted without all the silly laws needed to perform such work in order to make it strong again. People don't get unemployment from their jobs flipping burgers or selling shoes. They get laid off from their areas of expertise, which is likely in the former industries because the credit is tight and their is no money to spend on anything extra than just the bare necessities.

That is why people get unemployed, no paying customers. It all comes from the pimps up top who make the decisions, (and I mean congress and senate, as they care not) that helps a person become unemployed in the first place. Normally if you suck at your job or you just don't like to work, you are not entitled to UI.

Creating jobs would be as easy as extending credit and getting people back to work. All those "bonuses" handed out to execs that were recipients of the bailouts would go a long way towards revitalizing this country. The loans get paid back anyway at interest or they seize your assets.

Just think, you get foreclosed on, who gets your home? The banks lost nothing because a home still has that value, what money they did get is just gravy on top. Now when a family is on the other side of that, what did they lose? The banks don't want to pay property taxes either but they have to and I think thats their outrage, plus these debts have been repackaged and sold multiple times and they lost once the scam was figured out. All in all a very sinister cascading effect has happened.

The bottom line is that people, who through no fault of their own, should have this safety net left in place being since they set the precedent for banks to do the same thing, except for hundredfold. Its insane. /rant off.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by hawkiye

Is that economics theory? I'm pretty bad with things that don't make common sense to me.

No it's historical and mathematical fact. What doesn't make sense to you?

Fiat currency is a ponzi scheme. You can only inflate your economy for so long it cannot go on indefinitely. You can only put so much air in a balloon before it pops. Every fiat system in history has ended the same way all badly. When you print money and now days just add book entries on computers eventually the currency becomes worthless.

If you have an economy with 1 million in circulation and you print another million and put it into circulation you just devalued your currency by 50%. Now you have twice the dollars chasing the same amount of goods and services so prices go up. They have been doing this for almost 40 years now and the currency has been devalued by 97%.. That why things that used to cost Quarter 40 years ago now cost around 4 dollars.

At some point soon it will escalate and you have hyperinflation like the Weimar Republic Germany and Zimbabwe where you need a wheel barrel of money to buy a loaf of bread.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
One other thing I'd like to add, if we were only to rebuild our country instead of wasting money destroying certain other countries, our own included, their would be very limited need for UI. Every able bodied soul would have a job. Almost everyone has to take orders in this world, except for a very select few.

If we were all to concentrate on our own country and refurbish it into what it used to be, noone would have to worry about getting or losing a job. We have streets, bridges, dams, sewer systems, old buildings, roofs, etc., all in various states of failure that would put lots of folks to work, yet our concern is with rebuilding countries we intentionally destroy in order to eliminate the boogyman. Just goes to show who the elect truly work for.

All the naysayers on this thread need to wise up to the idea that they are part of the problem. Parroting what they want you to think.

Obama says we should not revert back to isolationism, yet that is our only solution. Too bad this has been the plan all along.

When people have to band together for survival, anything is possible in desperation. Having a job will soon mean that a person will be easier to rob their home while said person is at work. Maybe thats the plan, create more security jobs

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
AS one who's emergency unemployment tier has run out as of May29th,I should say pass this bill right away but I do not as the Democratic Communist Leftists keep adding pork to any bill and thus the Democrats poison any spending bill.
If a bill solely to fund emergency unemployment benefits were brought up it would pass!!
Watching the Senate proceedings (a good part of my days)you see Democratic after Democrat add their pet pork to the bill in committee and since they have the majority they get the pork add it to the spending bills.

Mark this,the Democrats and the Muslim Communist called Barack Hussein Obama know their majorities are gone in November so they will try to get their agenda across any way they can and they could care less about the American People ,you or me.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Most people are too caught up in the red vs. the blue game to see what's going on. Stop letting your party lines become trip wires. Step over them and look at the BIG picture. Republicans and Dems are not the problem!
It's the progressives that are the problem.
Do some research. These people have had a plan of action going on 40 years now and they have stuck to it.
They get you caught up in their little game so you do not pay attention to the big picture.
It is their goal to bring this country to it's knees and when you are begging for help they will step in with all new legislation on how the country is to be run and you will kiss their feet for taking away your liberty.
Why do you think those other provisions were put in the bill?
They knew the republicans would vote it down which furthers their goals on several different levels.
1- it keeps the people arguing about who's team is better.
2- they get none of the blame.
3- it brings this country closer to financial ruin.
Look at the headlines for the past week. Why will they not close the border?
Why do they want to make sure the illegal immigrants are getting paid fairly?
They want to keep them coming in and working to help keep the work engine of this country going until they can collapse the system. They want them working not YOU. They need you broken, Ready for anything they throw your way. And when that time comes you will gladly accept what they offer.
At that time the borders will be closed and amnesty will be given to those who wish to stay. I have a feeling though that the borders will be broken open again due to people fleeing this country.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

It's the progressives that are the problem. Do some research.

TURN OFF GLEN BECK.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Interesting study from this side of the pond..

news.bbc.co.uk...

Analysis of European data showed that a £70 reduction in welfare spending per person is associated with a 2.8% rise in alcohol-related deaths and 1.2% rise in deaths from heart disease.

In fact, for every £70 drop in spending per person there was a 1.19% rise in overall deaths. The biggest effect was seen in illnesses linked to social circumstances, such as heart disease.

"So far the discussions around budget cuts have largely focused on economics. "But social circumstances are crucial to people's health and our study shows there could be quite significant harms.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by Quadrivium

It's the progressives that are the problem. Do some research.

TURN OFF GLEN BECK.

DON'T NEED TO! I SEE IT ALL BY MYSELF.
Maybe you should turn him on though. Probably be a good starting point for ya.
He's a little to goofy and animated for me but he does have some ok links sometimes.
Or you can just keep playing your little game.
GO BLUE! Yippee

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Quadrivium]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Yep, thanks to the Republicans, they're all for the corporations and to hell with the American taxpayer.

That's because most have been bought off by Corporate America.

Problem is, the majority of people don't realize this and those that do aren't mad enought to take action.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Republican motto "Obama must fail at all costs".

Our polical system is out of control and we have only ouselves to blame.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join