It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is happening down there - and it's happening FAST

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Hey Lasertaglover, if you want to screen capture, just hit the "print scr" button on your keyboard to the right of the F12 button. That copys your screen and puts it on your clipboard. then you can paste it wherever. I open a word dock and paste them there as I capture them.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I saw that too. I took it to be some rope that had been encrusted with the material coming from the break. Theres also an arm or some part of the ROV thats encrusted in it too.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wirefly

Thank you. I have always wondered how that is done!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

Going back to the OP, the pictures seem to be taken at slightly different angles. The massive piece missing from the side seen in the left picture is harder to see in the earlier pic because we're looking at it from another angle of the more solid side. However, that doesn't take away anything. Look closely & you'll see clearly that the damaged part is widening and deepening. IMO despite the different angles its very apparent that the damaged section is growing.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ionized

Thanks ... for some reason I can't get that one up and working here at work... I need to wait till i get home to see more destruction...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If it is sulfer, pehaps this is a very good thing.
Molten sulfer is heavy, and dense, as sulfer forms sulfer polymers
The fact the flow has changed from methane / oil to methane sulfer is good.

(I dont think many people are familiar with sulfers transition states at 5000 psi.. I know I don't, I do know how it behaves at sea level while hot...)

What is good is the fact of the transitions we have observed over the last month.. If its heavy sulfer (Atomic weight 16*n n being the the number of sulfer atoms in the polymerized chains of sulfer... that means we are getting to the bottom of whatever is in the open pocket in the strata.

What will come next? Perhaps liquified rock carbonates which have a greater propensity to solidify quickly and then maybe some magma...Perhaps the molten rock carbonates or the magma will END this catastrophe because it will seal wound.. forever. Google "Carbonate volcanoes"

Too early for champagne though... but whatever comes out next should logically be heavier than S16*n ...

Perhaps heavy oil tars which might form structures like these domes LINK

[edit on 23-6-2010 by seataka]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

I was trying to find some reference to the temp of the oil. This is the best I could do...

Got this from Wikipedia Petroleum Geology

"Petroleum Geology - Analysis of source rocks - In terms of source rock analysis, several facts need to be established. Firstly, the question of whether there actually is any source rock in the area must be answered. Delineation and identification of potential source rocks depends on studies of the local stratigraphy, palaeogeography and sedimentology to determine the likelihood of organic-rich sediments having been deposited in the past.

If the likelihood of there being a source rock is thought to be high, the next matter to address is the state of thermal maturity of the source, and the timing of maturation. Maturation of source rocks (see diagenesis and fossil fuels) depends strongly on temperature, such that the majority of oil generation occurs in the 60° to 120°C range. Gas generation starts at similar temperatures, but may continue up beyond this range, perhaps as high as 200°C. In order to determine the likelihood of oil/gas generation, therefore, the thermal history of the source rock must be calculated. This is performed with a combination of geochemical analysis of the source rock (to determine the type of kerogens present and their maturation characteristics) and basin modelling methods, such as back-stripping, to model the thermal gradient in the sedimentary column."

60C = 140F, 120C = 248F, 200C = 392F

Take it for what it's worth. These are not normal conditions.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Do you recall what we learned about the drilling mud? when it is heavy enough a column of it of sufficient length will stop the flow as it becomes hydrostatically balanced?

The same rule will apply to the well hole with or without a structurally sound pipe in it.. when the density of the column of stuff coming up exceeds the pressures down below it will end.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Was just watching one of the BOA Rovs scoping out the seabed, many of the ROVs seem to be focusing on the bottom now and I think I may now know why. It seem to come across what looked like an area where something is coming out of the bottom. The ROV went instantly back to look and I saw some other areas similar to this.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Green stuff coming out of gulf oil! WTF is this?

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 23-6-2010 by theboyka]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by seataka

Do you recall what we learned about the drilling mud? when it is heavy enough a column of it of sufficient length will stop the flow as it becomes hydrostatically balanced?

The same rule will apply to the well hole with or without a structurally sound pipe in it.. when the density of the column of stuff coming up exceeds the pressures down below it will end.

Unless there is a leak (or more than one) further on down.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Can someone tell me WTH Ocean Intervention III ROV 1 just went through? I have to admit I was never a supporter of the volcanic theory but when you see something like this it makes you think twice.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Where is Boa Deep 1 going?

[edit on 6/23/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Did anybody catch the CNN story today? It way down in the article there, that two people had been killed!!

You Got TO BE KIDDING ME!!

One with a gunshot wound!! One in a "Swimming Accident"

just a summary mention, I wonder what they saw? Why were they killed?

That is just freaky.

"Meanwhile two people involved in the oil disaster response were reported to have died in Alabama, Allen said.

According to the Baldwin County Coroners office, William Allen Kruse, a boat captain working on clean up, died of a gunshot wound. The other death was described by Allen as a swimming accident.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to their families," Allen said. "We know this is a devastating thing to happen."

Story Link

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Watching it now, it looks as if the cameras are a little different on the Skandi ROV2 and Enterprise ROV2. Is that the same wellhead?
www.sanaracreations.fi...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Today's loss of a line that has been collecting millions of gallons of leaking oil in the Gulf of Mexico hints at the shape of gusher glitches to come. This time, the line and a containment cap were taken off the wellhead because of a pressure hiccup, reportedly due to an accident involving a remotely operated vehicle.

Hours after the cap was detached, the BP oil company began the process of putting it back over the leak. But BP might well have to repeat the exercise as hurricane season continues.

For more than two weeks, the containment cap has served as the most successful collection point for the oil that has been leaking from BP's broken well since April 20's fatal oil-rig explosion and sinking. The cap system has saved more than 200,000 barrels (8.4 million gallons) of oil so far, at a rate of up to 16,000 barrels (672,000 gallons) a day. Another 10,000 barrels (420,000 gallons) are being captured and burned off every day by a different collection system hooked up to the well's broken blowout preventer.

The source of the problem
So when the cap containment system had to be detached today, that made quite a dent in the oil-sucking operation. Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the point man for the federal oil-spill response, explained during today's news briefing that the cap was removed after workers "noticed there was some kind of a gas rising through the vent that carries the warm water down that prohibits hydrates from forming." Hydrate crystals, which form from water and methane at a certain pressure and temperature, are what foiled the very first efforts to contain the oil flow - so BP wanted to make sure that didn't happen again.

Allen said the glitch was apparently caused by "a remotely operated vehicle that ... bumped into one of those vents that allows the excess oil to come out." When the vent was closed, the pressure built up, causing gas to go the wrong way. As of this afternoon, BP double-checked the system to make sure it was safe to reattach the cap and return to capturing oil.

Was this a remotely operated screw-up? Actually, the way Allen looks at it, this sort of thing is to be expected as the operation proceeds. He pointed out that there's been only one other ROV misstep, made during the early stages of the response to the gulf disaster. "I think the fact that we've had two bumps that have had some kind of a consequence associated with them in the 60-plus days [of the] response is a pretty good record. It's never going to be risk-free out there, and we need to watch it very closely," he told journalists.

more:
cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seataka

Only if it isn't leaking into the formation faster than you can pump it in....

which is what was happening that caused this.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I've been watching this thing for a few days and it really does look like it is heating up. People keep wanting to think that this thing is just painted orange or reflecting light. I don't see why people can't see this thing is heating up.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

Something is happening down there - and it's happening FAST

At first, I thought this was supposed to be in the Medical Forum as per your title. I'm glad that you don't have an STD.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I was watching Skandi Rov 2 and started to look into the blackness to the left and just watch that for a while. Every once in while, I see what looks like little bubbles coming up, I guess from the sea floor. Then sometimes I see what looks like little spinning vortexes of bubbles that spin off from left to right.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join