It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is happening down there - and it's happening FAST

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I created this screenshot composition while participating in another excellent thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The pic on the left is a recent (like within the past 5 minutes) screenshot. The pic on the right is from about 5 hours ago.

Differences:
1. The pipe is blacker. This is due to HEAT, not oil, combined with oxidization The force of the oil leaving the riser is creating negative pressure underneath the outlet - sucking up seawater in the process. This is keeping the wellhead relatively free of oil, and it is also why the rovers don't get coated with the stuff.

2. Even more telling - notice the 'blob' of stuff on the flange. It wasn't there a few hours ago. Yes, the angle IS different. However, you still should be able to see the yellow discharge on the flange in the picture on the right. If it was there, it would be visible along the outermost right side of the pipe in that picture, and it would be visible in a pool on the flange.

3. The color of the discharge has changed and the orange is now more evenly spread.

There are theories as to what the yellow/orange stuff is. I subscribe to the thought that it is sulfur. The fact that the flow of whatever this is has intensified to the point of pooling outside the riser is troubling to say the least.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by atlguy]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Oh my !!!
how do you cap an erupting volcano ????
Has it ever been done???

Looks like lava flow
what would happen when the hot lava
hits the methane gas ???

[edit on 23-6-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
hey, if it is a volcano, I have fewer concerns about the oil. I feel pretty confident that magma will kill the well if that's the case.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
hey, if it is a volcano, I have fewer concerns about the oil. I feel pretty confident that magma will kill the well if that's the case.

Is it possible that the friction from the oil and gas rushing up 18,000 of pipe is causing it to heat up?

[edit on 23-6-2010 by OurskiesRpoisoned]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

It might also be methane....

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So what does this mean if this is a volcanoe...and how much time do we have until it goes boooom

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by OurskiesRpoisoned

Originally posted by Aeons

Is it possible that the friction from the oil and gas rushing up 18,000 of pipe is causing it to heat up?

[edit on 23-6-2010 by OurskiesRpoisoned]

Well, the petroleum is coming out of the pipe at about 200 degrees celcius as it is. I couldn't even begin to fathom what might be happening to make it heat up even more.

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'm no geologist but I'm pretty sure if it were lava, it would melt the piping well before it came out the top and in turn no lava would make it out the top, but would melt away the entire well head and lava would be spewing from a hole in the ground, not a pipe.

Lava is generally 1,300 - 2,200f.

And thats my picture on the right, atleast give a guy some credit

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Good reporting. I really appreciate it when people take photos like these, and then explain what they are seeing. I don't seem to have such a good "eye" for it so it helps.

On CNN now. Tune in they are going to break now, and will have the story upon returning.

They just said "Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse".

Yeah. Like we thought it couldn't.

Explanation: They took the cap off because a robot bumped into a pipe and cracked it. Lots and lots more oil now..... That stuff coming out is freezing, and pipes easy to break.

*I'm annoyed with the presentation, because they just had it on a minute or two, and the tone was more sarcastic than concerned or distressed. Then they went right back to McChrystal.

[edit on 6/23/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It definately looks like there is something molten coming out from the pipe. The pipe coloration is also a clear sign of heating up.

Also the changed color of the erupting oil&gasses indicates this.

This is why the tophat was removed, it was starting to malfunction due to the amount of heat.

link   
Someone commented on another thread that the yellow color was due to the camera on that rov. There is definately part the top missing now.

link   
reply to post by OurskiesRpoisoned

I'd say this is the most likely answer.

You can't even rub your hands together without creating friction and heat. You can rub your hands enough in 30 seconds that it literally feels like they are burning.

But, these pipes are made to withstand this friction. Rather it blew out or not, oil would still be flowing through these pipes. I don't know for sure so I can't speculate, but they might periodically replace the pipes to keep the weathering affects in check.

But I in no way believe anything but oil, gas, and probably forms of sediment are coming through the pipe. Could that mixture creating enough friction to erode the pipes or joints, I don't know but it is a great question.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Overtime
Someone commented on another thread that the yellow color was due to the camera on that rov. There is definately part the top missing now.

Methane does come out white - if the light is yellow, the white could reflect the yellow light I guess.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster

And thats my picture on the right, atleast give a guy some credit

In my rush I forgot to give credit!

Sincerest apologies!

I do NOT think it is lava. Lava turns black and instantly cools when it comes into contact with seawater

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I don't think the orange stuff coming out of the pipe now is magma but gasses that have been ignited by something, perhaps magma.

Could get interesting. When the camera quits functioning, you will know something dramatic has happened.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I have seen sulfur vents that are that color. Could it be sulfur compounds accreted on the surface?

Short post, but valid question.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I have seen sulfur vents that are that color. Could it be sulfur compounds accreted on the surface?

Short post, but valid question.

That's a great question. I believe the the well is a bit sour.

link   
If I remember correctly the oil did not look orange the last few times I saw the feed, and that was a few weeks ago, when I had some time.

BUT, I am not going to go reaching far to the left, or far to the right and say no your wrong or right. We just do not have enough information..

yet carry on, nice to see people use their brains.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Bicent76]

link   
www.cnn.com...

I would think this is their news they will be going to and this is why we are seeing a change now.

Short Version.

robot bumps a vent and removed the containment cap.

link   
I hate watching this vid, why does all the vids look diff, not just angles but diff object rushing out oil. How many leaks are there? Where are leaks? No we at least know this info or are we left out of the basics???

I was watchin it last night and I saw some of th base metal turning red like lava was in there. Unfortunently you can not post anything to this site without goig through the media uploading that never works for me. So sad they dont mke it easy to post up pics.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join