It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane levels 40% instead of normal 5% in Gulf - Scientists are Worried

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by james2009

The claim made by that man is for northern Europe.. If methane erupts, or if it ignites, at least the one being released right now, it will mostly affect the southern states of the U.S, and not Europe.

I listened to some of that video, and although i know that some people can predict the future, this guy can't, he sounds unstable.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Okay, if Methane burns blue and all of this collected Methane were to ignite and make a giant explosion. Could this not be the Hopi's Blue Star Kachina event? Think if you were to see this in a vision. How would you explain it?

That would not be the blue star Katchina. They already announced that Comet Holmes was Katchina, when in Oct 2007 it expanded to be bigger than the Sun and became the biggest object in the Solar System. It's brightness also increased half a million times to what it was originally, and it shone blue. That was the blue star Katchina.

I have to wonder why people keep trying to make other events the blue star Katchina when the Hopi say it was comet Holmes.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'm beginning to feel like a mosquito on mother natures ass .. and she's about to let one loose. RUN, run for your lives. (actually, you may have until Sept 9th, unless someone tries to lite up doobie down there) Say, maybe they should start posting no smoking signs around the gulf coast. I'd hate for some unwitting fellow to step out for a smoke this evening and blow the whole gulf coast off the map. Ya know, I'm also starting to worry if some terrorist organization could take advantage of this situation too.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
How dare you say %40 of the spill is Methane. Methane at 5,000FT is ICE. The gases compress into the form of ICE. The Gas of methane cannot escape unless it's brought to 1000FT. The Oil well in the Gulf sits on a Methane plate, this plate bends around FL and into the Bermudas. Just think of it as an underwater glacier made of Methane. It is however under so much pressure it is in the form of Ice. Get it now? Damn Disinformation threads. No S or F for you.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by SneakAPeek]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
All right. Lets assume this wasn't done by some terrorist organization

Maybe a side effect of LHC activity? Black hole? What comes out of a black hole?

No...

Any news from the Green Movement?

No...

Not sure who did it...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Tsunami would only be around the Gulf of Mexico. Other lasting effects like a cloud of oxygen depleted atmosphere or global warming, or altered weather patterns, or other fun stuff is sure to make it to the UK though. No worries, we won't leave you out!

I heard through some state sources yesterday that they expect the oil sheen to reach you guys by the end of August. It is confirmed in the Gulf stream, which means North Atlantic Current, which means North Atlantic aka you guys.

Yeah this is the one time we shouldn't share, the oil leak that is....But we will be forced to mother nature has her own mission now and I fear there will be no stopping that. You know come to think of it Tony Hayward could actually go home and wait for the oil to come to him!!! Wow isn't that a strange thought????

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

None of this will happen unless it's released off of the East Coast around Bermuda. The Gulf is TOO deep for the release of Methane. Even if it's in the seabed it is Methane Ice, Not gas. Methane is Gas and under pressure it is ICE. Look at it this way. Nitrogen is a gas, but when cooled it makes a liquid.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SneakAPeek

Thats correct, as the critical point of methane is about 667 psi, and the triple point 1.7 psi. Someone can double check me on that.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IMOVERHERE

I hear your desperation, my friend. I have travelled to your parts of the planet and I enjoyed the fruits of the labor that came out of the sea. RIGHT NOW!, would be the opportunity to start artificial "fisheries/nurseries" of all the creatures that live in the Gulf of Mexico. The Brown Pelican was just brought back from EXTINCTION, only to endure this tragedy. We have to collect enough specimens in order to cultivate them in artificial aquariums throughout the United States/ World, until this mess is cleaned up.
But, this is only a band-aid on a torn limb. The loss of species and the biotic life will kill our oceans. It is a symbiotic relationship.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

That seems correct, as the critical point of methane is about 667 psi, and the triple point 1.7 psi (-83c and -182c, respectively). Someone can double check me on that.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Good thing they're burning the oil then.

2nd line and such.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Say the gusher is spewing oil infused with natural gas/methane, and as the crude rises the methane expands out.

With so many thousands of barrels of oil gushing into the ocean per day, and so many cubic feet of methane per barrel, how many cows does that equal?

It's an odd question, but I'm thinking of the global warming believers and how this much methane will calculate into the global warming theory. Not that I'm a believer, but theoretically this would fit into the 'man-made' global warming category.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
bout the 10th time ive posted this............

For god sake, take a look.

RELATED INFORMATION AVAILABLE HERE

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
There sure is a lot of doomsayers here and all about, these days. Obviously they have reason(s), but for the optimists out there I offer the following;

1) They are burning surface oil now and since day 25 or so.

2) You cannot close a well with an explosion, of any kind, particularly a NUKE, jeez, gimme a break. An explosion will out a flaming well, but that is NA here.

3) Methane hydrates are mostly H2O, when they dissolve to constituent components. The point of dissolution is above zero at sea level and its likely they will not dissolve unless they are piped up. They need to dissolve them in the pipe and flare off the methane.

4) Secondary rig is flaring gas now.

5) I have a masters degree in Bio-chemistry and I think the long term affects of dispersant will be the legacy of this catastrophe. "New Orleans is sinking man, and I don't wanna swim" By The Tragically Hip. Here are the lyrics and a link to the best rock song... Ever...

bourbon blues on the street, loose and complete
under skies all smoky blue-green
I can't forsake a Dixie dead-shake
so we danced the sidewalk clean
my memory is muddy. what's this river that I'm in?
New Orleans is sinking man, and I don't wanna swim

Colonel Tom, what's wrong? what's going on?
you can't tie yourself up for a deal
he said "hey north you're south shut your big mouth,
you gotta do what you feel is real"
ain't got no picture postcards, ain't got no souvenirs
my baby, she don't know me when I'm thinking 'bout those years

pale as a light bulb hanging on a wire
sucking up to someone just to stoke the fire
picking out the highlights of the scenery
saw a little cloud that looked a little like me

I had my hands in the river
my feet back up on the banks
looked up to the Lord above
and said "hey man thanks"
sometimes I feel so good I gotta scream
she said Gordie baby I know exactly what you mean
she said, she said, I swear to God she said...

My memory is muddy. what's this river that I'm in?

The video:

www.youtube.com...

Peace Luv Out,

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SneakAPeek
How dare you say %40 of the spill is Methane. Methane at 5,000FT is ICE. The gases compress into the form of ICE. The Gas of methane cannot escape unless it's brought to 1000FT. The Oil well in the Gulf sits on a Methane plate, this plate bends around FL and into the Bermudas. Just think of it as an underwater glacier made of Methane. It is however under so much pressure it is in the form of Ice. Get it now? Damn Disinformation threads. No S or F for you.

How do you feel about reports from the surviving riggers saying that as they receive the oil/gas mixture, they separate it.. at a ratio of 3000 gas to 1 oil. They said they were getting 3000 times more gas than methane.

You seem to deny the fact that the oil pressure carries up the methane crystals to an altitude where they are warm enough to become a gas.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SneakAPeek

so are you saying that the methane under the sea poses no threat along with this oil spill???

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dbriefed
With so many thousands of barrels of oil gushing into the ocean per day, and so many cubic feet of methane per barrel, how many cows does that equal?

LOL, as a vegan, a wonderful thought came to mind. What if the amount of methane being release is such that, unless everyone stops breeding and eating cow flesh and blood, you're all doomed? If you care about any of this and saving the Earth, maybe ya'll should stop eating cow to offset this methane. Of course, don't eat any beans either, or you'll just end up canceling out that offset.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springheel Jack
Remember a few weeks ago when the leak was going to be stopped with a box over it, and BP said it wasnt working due to ICE CRYSTALS? Now they tell us, "Oh we meant METHANE ICE CRYSTALS" Nice of them to, you know, not worry us about the possible Methane release that could kill possibly thousands. I am so glad they were worried enough not to worry us like that, WHEW, those BP guys are really nice! Thanks BP!

You need to read the news better. They were calling them methane ice crystals from the very start.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Here's an idea America
Instead of sitting, pointing fingers and throwing your opinions about while things get worse, why not ask the pres' why he won't scrap the Jones act or even put the hundreds of plans into action to tackle the issue.
It all seems like a chain of events unfolding with each step just blaming a logo (BP) for applaud.
Intervention is the key, so far all I hear is failure after failure and with the rule of non-American's banned from helping it seems Obama is holding his hands out saying "don't worry, we got this!" even though you don't, swallow some pride and accept some help for the very little action done so far.

Of course the money is the most important issue, how can Obama make sure he gets money, power and support from this disaster while blaming BP and avoiding the rest of the culprits (Halliburton, Dick Cheney, American lust for oil, etc) , typical, American greed, ignorance and arrogance will be the death of us all.

Ironic disaster with a huge fart to blow us all away as the icing on the cake.
The world has been bled to death.

inb4 #storm of pro-American willy waving like sheep defending a flag.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by keepithush]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   

But if they were drilling into a point that would release all of the pressure wouldn't that cause weaker pressure below the sea bed in the oil aquifer thus creating a situation where the ice could turn to gas.

Apparently it has due to the fact that methane levels have risen by 35%.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join