It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP WhistleBlower!!!!! 2nd rig... Atlantis ... MMS to blame as well!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
www.businessweek.com...

Interior Secretary Kenneth Salazar, who is a defendant in Abbott’s lawsuit along with the Minerals Management Service and its director, said in a June 11 court filing that federal regulators are about 10 percent done with an “exhaustive investigation’’ into Atlantis’s documentation. He said the probe would be finished within three months and submitted to Congress.

So Ken abbot was in washington today giving testimony as well...

He says the design was not done properly....

And he says safety overall is lacking at BP

He was the project controls engineer... Whatever that means.

He say as the management tone was to take the shortcut and forget about the normal things you would do...

Now BP says MMS gave them a safety award, and this guy says that they were very negligent on their enforcement of their regulations.... He said they didn't even look at the drawings that were provided to them

[edit on 17-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

[edit on 17-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
So...

He drops the case, because of why? What am I missing here?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Has anyone else heard about this yet?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Ok let me bump this one more time...

There is a second rig with similar issues....

And a case fading the us has been dropped...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I searched for a thread about this using the parameters "BP Atlantis" and it returned a 404 error... not found.

Thanks for tossing me the bread crumbs.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Geeky_Bubbe

Go ahead and post your other info here... because I believe this thread will grow as more details come out...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
(Crossposting here from inadvertently duped thread)

BP Atlantis rig plans never received proper approvals, former contractor says
via Washington Post

Sensitive plans for the BP Atlantis rig in the Gulf of Mexico never received proper BP engineering approvals, leaving the deepwater oil and gas operation at risk of disaster, a former contractor for the facility says.

"The overwhelming majority of documents and drawings had never received any engineering approval at any phase of development," Kenneth W. Abbott, who was fired in February 2009, says in testimony prepared for delivery Thursday to a House subcommittee.

Abbott reported the issue to the Interior Department and filed a lawsuit under a federal whistleblower law.

Continues at link

This gentleman's testimony is available on cspan.org via a video of his testimony. It starts at ~hour 2:05 here. He states the Atlantis is in even deeper water. Also of note is his testimony around 2:15 in specific to Deepwater Horizon.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
As I listened to his testimony (twice) I couldn't help but think of two things:

A) There *may* be personal motives behind his suit and his testimony. He is a "paper pusher" who makes his living requiring "paper." I deal with his sort on the financial side. They justify *their* existence by climbing up my back side and demanding documentation for every time I take a breath in my official capacity.

It pays their cushy 6 figure salaries but doesn't provide any real "value added benefit." Thank You [not] Sarbanes-Oxley.

B) His point about MMS doing more that testing pressures seems prima facie very valid indeed. Proving compliance of Best Practices is nothing short of *best practice*.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

whoa... they don't even have proper engineering drawings which accurately reflect the way the RIG is built!?

Very interesting testimony of Kenneth Abbot...

Thanks for this contribution!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

whoa... they don't even have proper engineering drawings which accurately reflect the way the RIG is built!?

Very interesting testimony of Kenneth Abbot...

Pretty much my reaction upon the first hearing! WHOA!! I was so *shocked* I listened to it a second time because I didn't believe I could have possibly heard it correctly!

Very damning testimony. Yet, as of this morning only 162 people had viewed the testimony by the view count on the video feed.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yep... This is a pretty dismal situation when it comes to safety in BP...

Thanks for the additional information!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

We were discussing in one of my topics how Atlantis was in even worse shape. I wondered if they've reinspected it, and here we go.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
update:

BP Sued by Watchdog Group Over Atlantis Platform

“We have evidence that Atlantis is unsafe and is in danger of creating an even worse spill than the one caused by the Deepwater Horizon explosion,” Wenonah Hauter, Food & Water Watch’s executive director in Washington, said today in a statemen

www.businessweek.com...

www.scribd.com...

join