It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Stewart on the oil spill.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
John Stewart seems to actually want to report news. I've noticed a few times after things he has said that I am surprised someone in the media is saying he almost looks like he wishes he could keep talking.

Just now he was going through a routine on the reporters in the White House and in the middle of the rant threw in one jab at the oil spill "what do you have to say about reports that the dispersants being used in the clean up is more toxic than the oil itself." I know this is well known here on ATS but you don't see the media outlets trying to get the president to answer these questions. It's nice to see someone out there does see what's going on. Also this was the only thing mentioned about the oil spill, very out of place, like he wanted to get it in even though it wasn't scripted.

I really like John Stewart, he seems to realize what's going on and want to inform people but obviously he can't go too far. What are your thoughts on him ATS?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Poser laughing at his own jokes.

But whatever floats your boat.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I hold him in a much higher regard than Colbert (Colbert changed). He gets under some peoples skin - ie; Fox ("Is he a comedian or is he a news guy - he cant be both" - haha rediculous).

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Colbert definitely doesn't compare. I really do like Stewart, even if you don't think he is funny he does say some surprising things. Colbert does seem like he changed a ton since he has become so popular.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Poser laughing at his own jokes.

But whatever floats your boat.

Now that's an intelligent response

I find his mixture of comedy and current affair quite refreshing after hearing the talking heads in the msm.
it's the only time I can actually laugh at some of the insanity reported today.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NWtoHide

Yeah, there is a conspiracy there if you ask me - I used to watch him religiously, but I've now boycotted him. And I literally pray that John Stewart doesn't go down the same road. John Stewart has his good and bad episodes etc, but what you see is what you get.

Colbert on the other hand went from a left-leaning intelligent satirist - to a right-wing un-intelligent distraction filled with product placement.

Its hard to explain, but that is my view.

And when I say left/right I am not talking about Dem/Rep.

[edit on 9/6/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Yeah... it does seem like Jon wants to just open up a can of truth live on air, don't it?

And he can get away with what he reveals currently, because his show is "Comedy" or "Satire".

But he is still on broadcast media, controlled by Viacom (Comedy Central's Parent Company) and thus, is still somewhat muzzled by the Corporate Media.

Thus, he must bite his tongue on some issues, to a certain extent.

I bet his mouth is full of blood after every show.

-Edrick

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Love the daily show hope it continues to bring the real news, and a good laugh. Both are equally important in these time.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
S & F

John Stewart and Stephen Colbert of two of the most relevant, insightful, and funny reporters out there. If people actually listen to them, it's very obvious they are reporting real news in a tone not of superiority like O'Reilly, Beck and Olberman, but rather in a more appealing sardonic, sarcastic but usually good natured way that appeals to millions and millions. I definitely prefer Colbert though!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I'm a fan

He is a master of his craft, both knowledgeable and intelligent. I like the last segments where he interviews people. When he has a discussion with an adversary, I am always left feeling that something was achieved, a consensus, or perhaps through cooperative efforts and finding middle ground, some solutions arose.

I really dug Oreilly's last interview with him, from this year:

Bill O'Reilly And John Stewart - 5 Parts

Peace

[edit on 10-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I think that Stewart and Colbert both deserve props. They are the only sources of news that most of the world's sheeple ever get. Both of these guys think outside the box IMHO and both are helping to open the sheeples' eyes.

Stewart's bit where he lambasted the reporters for wanting Helen's chair WAS pretty awesome, Op.

spelling edit

[edit on 9-6-2010 by dragonsmusic]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I really am starting to think Colbert has started to do less eye opening and more distracting.

Obviously both are muzzled but Stewart really does seem to get in some things that may not be ok to report on. I remember thinking after watching him turn away from the camera a few weeks ago he almost looked afraid, as if he said something "they" wouldn't like. I really would like to think he is on our side at least...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I love how he just says "the shadow government, you know how all this works right?" Then O'Reilly, "no..I don't"

Edit to add in the fifth video of that O'Reilly debate, John brings up Ron Paul and O'Reilly literally doesn't know what to say. This is the first time I have ever seen O'Reilly choke on his words like that.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Good Intentions]

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Good Intentions]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I was literally just wondering how people on ATS felt about John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
I love both shows.
For some reason, most people in my town lean towards Colbert, but I like them both just as well.
While they obviously can't say everything that I think they want to, it is still more reliable than most of the MSM.

Tonight Colbert's interview with the Israeli Ambassador royally p*ssed me off. If you didn't see it, he was talking about how the Flotilla raid was 100% not IFD's fault... made me mad anyway. People have posted more than enough evidence on ATS to show otherwise... Sorry, that's a bit off topic.

Thanks for the thread!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Stewart used comedy to get young people interested in politics and the important issues of our world, today. He was the only news source, for me, that I trusted to get global facts without the spin well before I became more interested in politics and started to do the research myself. John Stewart is my Howard Beale (Somewhat).

Colbert was just as good, before... He is the perfect example of how fame and power corrupts one's true beliefs. He played the bad guy so well, that his behavior let his audience know the real truth. He was once seen in my eyes as a man who knew the truth behind all the lies, and played the lies in an extreme way to get out the truth out to his young audience.

That's all changed now, and I can't distinguish between his jokes and his personal belief.

I still rely on John Stewart and his band of senior analysts to make me laugh at our political world... opposed from crying.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I just watched the whole Jon & Bill interview. My whole perception of those two just did a whole 180. I now think Jon is a complete a hole & Bill is the pro.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Its sad that George passed - what a great mind, and he came up with the correct formula - if you dont like it - laugh about it. and you dont like a little less.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by anti-evil2

Wrong thread dude. You're in the John Stewart oil spill thread.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Would you mind giving examples of how Colbert is more distracting and less eye opening than he was before? I am curious to hear your thoughts. Also Colbert got his start on Stewart's show. While Stewart must be pleased with Colbert's success and probably thinks to himself something like " just look at him go" with respect to Colbert, it seems like Stewart can DO more and SAY more because he's had a longer run. He's in a stronger position.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I know you didn't ask me, but in my opinion, Colbert now sometimes makes a joke out of something that is way too serious. He jokes about everything, I know, but it seems like rather than just laugh at the ridiculous statements in the media like he used to, he also laughs at the valid statements.

I would see that as a distraction, because he sometimes makes things that are actually serious, out to be a joke. Alot of people take his joking about a statement to mean the statement itself is ridiculous, and that's where the distraction would arise. It just seems like he points and laughs at everything now, rather than just the ridiculous politics in this world.

<<   2 >>

join