It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is racism a modern invention?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Was racism created in the colonial/early modern age to justify slavery and conquering other continents, or is it something people have traditionally believed but suddenly in the 20th century decided was wrong? i think it's more the former, that people were generally NOT racist until the 1600s/1700s, because there was not racial propaganda and people seldom encountered members of other races anyway since most people in the ancient and medieval times never even left their own villages.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It determines how you categorize racism. Majority of the people say you can only be racist against people of different skin color. I’ve read, for example, that during the Saxon invasions of England the Saxons pretty much killed and/ or drove out all the non-Saxons. The feeling were that the native Britons were inferior to them. Racism has always existed and it will never end. Because man is to prideful.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
"racism" is just another form of collectivism, which has existed since the dawn of man. People constantly seperate themselves depending on skin colour, culture, religion, nationality, hair colour etc. Nothing new and i seriously doubt it is going to go away, it's just human nature.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
You bring up an interesting point. In the olden days, like in the days of Greece, Sparta, and Rome, slavery was unbiased with regards to how it treated race. I don't exactly know how it developed... but I guess a large number of white people eventually felt themselves to be superior to the people who are black and so they wanted to continue to justify the institution of slavery- but not be enslaved themselves. I guess it's just more of a modern justification of slavery now that I think about it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
You bring up an interesting point. In the olden days, like in the days of Greece, Sparta, and Rome, slavery was unbiased with regards to how it treated race. I don't exactly know how it developed... but I guess a large number of white people eventually felt themselves to be superior to the people who are black and so they wanted to continue to justify the institution of slavery- but not be enslaved themselves. I guess it's just more of a modern justification of slavery now that I think about it.

Spot on, spot on. You hit it right on the head, if their wasn't people of different colors then the majority would be prejudice to people who are different.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
This article has to do more with slavery. But it does deal a lot with racial issues.
listverse.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I would say xenophobia is intrinsic, the default setting for all human interactions: the Other represents either competition for mates and resources or an exploitable resource himself. Either way, he is the Enemy.

However, evolved altruism towards those that carry large fractions of our own genes ameliorates this extreme initial reaction in the case of near blood relatives. For example, we compete with our siblings for parental resources, but we also cooperate in order to better exploit other available resources.

In social animals like human beings, this evolved altruism towards blood relatives extends itself to all members of the kin group (hunter-gatherer band or tribe). It is withheld from non-members of the group, towards whom xenophobia-driven hostility remains the norm. When two men from different primitive bands or tribes meet, one usually ends up dead. When two tribes meet, there is usually a war.

But modern humans, unlike other social animals, build vastly extended and participatory societies in which it is mutually profitable for those who are not kin to treat each other as though they were.

Thus nation-states and 'ethnic groups' (also called 'races') arise. Sometimes one nation-state or race subdues others and forms an empire.

As technology improves, greater integration of human society - treating still more distant individuals and groups as if they were kin - becomes first possible, then desirably profitable, then urgently necessary.

Racism is not the artificial result of some imperial conspiracy. It arises from xenophobia, fear and hatred of the other and is natural to humans. It is mutual tolearance and race-blindness that is unusual, an evolutionary innovation.

I stress that 'natural' does not mean 'right'. Also, what is natural to us changes as we evolve as a species.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
if you keep posting threads you going to annoy the # out of these aliens posing as humans, they are all around us they are always white thats what makes it so sick actual human whites are taking the blame... there job is to make ignorant dumb comments on post and threads to confuse actual humans reading them, so they wont be able to determine the truth so keep up the light work its time we be free and let the dark live in its own realm

racism was created to make humans take their minds off the fact that there is a more advance group of people controlling all humans in one collective, thus a race began and all humans are now in competition with eachother. while the mastors sit back laugh and enjoy themselves watching us as we would watching different colored horses racing each other at a kentucky derby. but our derbys are called cities and humans fight eachother to survive financially we fight like pitbulls in a cage......racism is timeless its always perpetuated by our owners then we keep it up...as they dissapear into the dark whilst we are once again destracted by another of their many destarctions over us only secret society offspring are allowed contact with such people they are the true racist they always hated humans and always will but they love how we keep them alive oh the irony

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I read somewhere that some people in the past considered great apes to be just another races of human species. Not sure if true, tough.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
its 2011 headed towards 2012 its white alien gargoyle aryans who control the white race as souless slaves who oppress other races any suggestions how to restore the planet? to an organic planet right now everything is cybernetiic even the food he eat is a computer program

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by starsystem3
its 2011 headed towards 2012 its white alien gargoyle aryans who control the white race as souless slaves who oppress other races any suggestions how to restore the planet? to an organic planet right now everything is cybernetiic even the food he eat is a computer program

Are you another agent posting on here?

Tell the truth.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
im a true human organism a light being who see's the nonsense from the truth the alien from the human

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Considering there is only one human race then I would say racism is a relatively new philosophy born of ignorance.

In the old days you had conquerors and conquered, master and slave however America created racism and has been installing it globally since the civil war.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Is racism a modern invention?

Not even close. It is a form of tribalism and it runs instinctively in our species as a form of survivalism.

In the natural world, we see the same thing between various subdivisions. The thing with humans is that we need to rise above those old instincts and evolve into a better creature.

Today, the same thing is applied less to race than national identities, belief systems and politics. The left vs. right political division is a spin-off of basic racism. We don't call it that but... that's what it is.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
humans are just sheep or cattle getting pushed along any thing we do is a resemblance of what our mastors have decided to come up with we dont control shyt we just move along n wait to be slaughtered very few of us have minds of our own

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
so with that being said who actually had time for racism other then the aliens who are using white supremacy to rule the world

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
The left vs. right political division is a spin-off of basic racism. We don't call it that but... that's what it is.

I don't agree at all. The basis of division between people on the left and the right is a difference of opinion and values. It's "generally" not a blind hatred or dislike simply because someone is labeled as different.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
white supremacy is far worst than being a racist we are all natural racist we love our own race 1st white supremacy is a whole different ball game

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Originally posted by redoubt
The left vs. right political division is a spin-off of basic racism. We don't call it that but... that's what it is.

I don't agree at all. The basis of division between people on the left and the right is a difference of opinion and values. It's "generally" not a blind hatred or dislike simply because someone is labeled as different.

Listen to yourself.

"The basis of division between people on the left and the right"

The basis of division is the division. In politics, the formula is division. In racism, the base formula is division.

Come da f**k on...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
i agree left n right promotes racism just as the colors on a chest game promote racism.....learn your symbolism its duality 1st n than racism is second once we enter a human body n carnate on earth

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join