It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In your opinion: the best media outlets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hi guys, I'm currently doing a freelance journalism course. Over this period I have learnt that almost any article written in an ACEDEMIC style, or one that incorporates PERSONAL OPINION is almost certainly rejected by the mainstream media. It is no joke, they want you to conform to "normality" and assume you are stupid. It also creates a very extensive and autonomous ability to censor what we are presented as truth.

Now, personally - I don't want to limit myself to writing about fly-fishing or the newest gadget to come out on the market - especially in the light of what I have learnt here on ATS.

So the purpose of this thread is - Lets create a list of "good" media outlets! It will help me no end with publishing material, and I also feel it may help others filter the information they are given more efficiently?

Thanks guys,
Peace and love

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
ATS

All others are controlled by the Buildabear group.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
it depends what story your looking at. i don't think iv found a news agency yet that is truly fair and impartial. i tend to look at as many news sources as i can and try and build a picture from their often conflicting reports. good luck with your coarse.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

I couldn't agree more.

Two good ones for this purpose are the ubiquitous BBC, here in Oz it is the best source for international news. I listen to the world service on the ABC radio.

The other is SBS the most unique channel in the world. It definatly has leanings to certain views but youknow this going in. It is the only T.V. news worth a damn.

I would recommend checking it's website and finding out about it if you are not from here. It also has some of the best programing the world has to offer.

www.sbs.com.au...

Cheers,
Pablo

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The Guardian Newspaper here in the UK.

It is one of the last bastions of truly investigative mainstream journalism.

Secondly - Russia Today - it's just THAT wacky.

Parallex.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
an up and coming agency that it building and building started on twitter,

Its called BNO news and i really love there style of reporting, They tend to be pretty fair and down the middle which is needed in writing for journalism,
www.bnonews.com...
Good luck on your venture
Its an interesting ride for sure,

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

RT

Can't believe I forgot that.

I love how they take a quote from the interviwee and splash it halfway up the screen like it is official news not some idiot rappers self promoting poorly researched drivel.

It does give a different look on the cold war though that is intereting.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Al Jazzera is worth a look. They are pretty professional in treating their sources, and keeping souces and opinions apart, and they do have some access to opinions on the other side of America's frontlines.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Yes, ATS is the best. Once a news story is posted people with knowledge can dissect and comment on it..although to find news stories i use quite a few haaretz,presstv,bbc,al-jazeera etc although all of them usually have the story just with a different slant. Don't trust any of them though, the BBC is one of the worst for the simple fact that many people actually still believe it is fair and unbiased.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I suggest that it is not the outlet that needs careful consideration but the news staff.

I know I'm getting biased information when the reporter concedes up front that his or her source is so-and-so or such-and-such agency representative so-and-so.

But when they are reading their teleprompters and using phrases that indicate the writers' (whoever they are) outrage or emotion on the subject I become disappointed.

Many of our celebrity talking heads are so full of themselves that they project the unspoken message that what THEY think matters. They are not there to report facts, and they don't look for facts; the bulk of their effort is in saying things that evoke attention from the audience and move them to respond.

News was never meant to be a commodity. It was meant to be a service.

Too bad the establishment successfully encouraged them to "buy-in" to the master plan where they 'shape' public opinion, and abandon the dissemination of truth.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Yes, ATS is the best. Once a news story is posted people with knowledge can dissect and comment on it..although to find news stories i use quite a few haaretz,presstv,bbc,al-jazeera etc although all of them usually have the story just with a different slant. Don't trust any of them though, the BBC is one of the worst for the simple fact that many people actually still believe it is fair and unbiased.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Solomons]

The worst part is that BBC believes that they are fair. It is the same thing here in the states with the New York Times. Acknowledge partisanship and read from all sources and viewpoints to formulate your own opinion and state it as opinion not the truth as today's journalists, editors and reporters do. The truth is mostly in the middle. Don't let what you learned from the panty-waist bigoted professors be your guideline. All opinions are valid enough to be heard. None are completely factual and thus should not be outright believed without personal research.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by GrampsLEn]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
In Australia. Most of my television news comes from the ABC

7:00 News
7:30 Report
Lateline
Insiders
QandA

I also watch;

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
SBS World News
SBS Dateline

The rest comes from ATS, GreenLeft Online, Granma International, English Edition

new topics

top topics

join