It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have created the world's first synthetic life form

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
An American Geneticist has created the world's first synthetic life form in an experiment that paves the way for designer organisms that are built rather than evolved.

The controversial feat, which has occupied 20 scientists for more than 10 years at an estimated cost of $40m, was described by one researcher as "a defining moment in biology".

So we have created living organisms that would never have existed before. This is a huge leap for science, and like all science, good and bad can come from its discoveries.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oh wow, 2 major feats in one day!

Alex collier was right, a lot will be happening from 2010 spring to fall.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Well its about bloody time!! Bring on the clones to harvest for organs!!!
Seriously cool tho! This is what science should be doing rather than making better gatorade.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is the big game changer that has been expected.

This s___ just got real, people!

+2 more 
posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
My first thoughts are "This should not be allowed to happen!" and I still believe that. There are some areas of science we just should not go. But curiosity, power and greed are powerful.

Who knows what can go wrong with these new life forms, especially in the wrong hands. Who knows, some of the diseases we have around now could have been developed by a previous civilisation at the end of their cycle.

Why cant it be just enough to appreciate what we already have? We still havent discovered all the species of life on this planet.

+2 more 
posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
this s--- has been real, people.
this is only the first that the public gets to hear of it "officially".

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
So we've created a new, unique lifeform completely of our own means?What can I say? Bravo. I can't wait to hear the debate.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
First artificial life-form?

I thought that was Pamela Anderson!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It's a bit scary, on the other hand, since they have such detailed knowledge of the design, they also must have (I hope) efficient way to kill the organisms if needed.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
now you just have to start making viruses that target specific groups of people... oh wait... upgrade!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Amazing. Theres no limit to what we can do. We just need to regulate this very carefully.

Also I bet the makers of the movie 'Splice' just popped the champagne corks. That has to be the luckiest timing in the history of movies. Or is it more than luck (cue spooky music) :-).

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well I guess there now is a god with scientific backing no doubt!

Oh boy things are about to go haywire in regards to ethics & religion.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

"Julian Savulescu, professor of practical ethics at Oxford University, said: "Venter is creaking open the most profound door in humanity's history, potentially peeking into its destiny. He is not merely copying life artificially ... or modifying it radically by genetic engineering. He is going towards the role of a god: creating artificial life that could never have existed naturally."

A god? So he believes in many gods? Also, no this is nothing close to the ability of the Father in heaven. God created all things just by speaking them into existence. This scientist is taking something that is already alive and using it to make something else. Speak something into existence being perfectly made and then I'll be impressed. For all that have or would bash god because of this, you need to grow up.

I'm a Christian and I'm all for science. I'm for genetic engineering, cloning, using adult stem cells, as long as it can help the human race. There is nothing to be afraid of or create a debate over, because GOD knows the future. He knows their plans, their thoughts. He knew us before we were born.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by TruthSeeker8300]

[edit on 20-5-2010 by TruthSeeker8300]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicious Jones

Hmm...you mean like AIDS, oops x.x

Too touchy of a subject eh?

Now I wonder if other Synthetic DNA can manipulate human DNA for more beneficial purposes...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
They've been able to make a "synthetic virus" for a few years now. The only problem preventing it from 'reproducing" is that it needs "bacteria". Now we can create living bacteria. What will stop us(them) ..now? haha.

This has HUGE implications for all facets of science.
Also, for the "evil" side as well.

I guess you take the bad with the good.

MSNBC is running the story as well.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix
reply to post by Vicious Jones

Hmm...you mean like AIDS, oops x.x

Too touchy of a subject eh?

Now I wonder if other Synthetic DNA can manipulate human DNA for more beneficial purposes...

I didn't say it you did O_o

Either way, telescoping technological achievements... the future is going to be nuts. Can't remember where I heard it but it was said in the near future we may see our technology and advances outpace our ability to understand the ethical and moral ramifications. Things will be interesting to say the least.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Now religion is out of the picture, lets move on shall we??!!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Let's not forget the artificial DNA.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Hmm. Something fishy about todays announcements.

Artificial life,
Artificial DNA
Teleportation
And
North Korea threatens all out war. (again).

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wow... synthetic life. This is HUGE!

The team now plans to use the synthetic organism to work out the minimum number of genes needed for life to exist. From this, new microorganisms could be made by bolting on additional genes to produce useful chemicals, break down pollutants, or produce proteins for use in vaccines.

Jurassic park 2030?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This will inevtably some day in the future destroy the world

The nuclear bomb has nothing on this

If you don't understand that then, pff

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join