It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robin Hood's Prison: Uncovering Nottingham's Hidden Medieval Sandstone Caves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The new archaeological technique where they use a laser has come up with another fascinating find.

They say the legendary Robin Hood was once a prisoner there. The fact that it was actually forgotten and only now with the help of this laser theory to be found again is stunning.

Nottingham has always been populated isn't it ?
When a system like that exist you would think there would always be people that used it one way or another.

The very latest laser technology combined with old fashioned pedal power is being used to provide a unique insight into the layout of Nottingham's sandstone caves -- where the city's renowned medieval ale was brewed and, where legend has it, the country's most famous outlaw Robin Hood was imprisoned.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5f04f3b4ef2.jpg[/atsimg]
Still image of video showing computerized 3-D rendering of Mortimer his Hole, Castle Rock. (Credit: Nottingham Caves Survey)

I think it's amazing people of the day took the time to actually cut out homes from the lime stone. A cave would not be my first choice to live in.

Below the grounds of Nottingham Castle and across the city there is a labyrinth of medieval tunnels, dungeons, maltings and cellars -- people even carved primitive living quarters out of Nottingham's sandstone cliffs.

Not surprised to hear some parts still get used by local pubs tho...
as a cellar.

Visit this link to read the full article. Robin Hood's Prison: Uncovering Nottingham's Hidden Medieval Sandstone Caves

Discoveries like this are very interesting. Maybe it will even shine some new light on our beloved hero Robin hood.

You can read and see more about the Nottingham Caves Survey at:www.nottinghamcavessurvey.org.uk...

The story source : The University of Nottingham

Edit. Finishing touch.

Enjoy !

~ SK

[edit on 5/14/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Thats realy cool...its the first time i have heard laser maping i allways thought you had to get your hands dirty. On the other hand technology can do some pretty awesome stuff. The 3-D view of it takes you to that time and place at least for me...

SnF for taking me for a walk through Nottingham

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Star for not being an obvious hoax or political rant.
Very interesting information, thank you for sharing. People still live quite comfortably in the caves along the Dordogne River in France. The real estate is actually becoming rather valuable as a novelty. The locals call the cave dwellers "troglodites." Especially the Brits.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jammer2012

Thanks
and you're welcome.

There is another thread going on where they used this new technique.
They discovered buildings and stuff underneath the Amazon canapé ( Don't know if it is the right word but I mean forest )

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

You're welcome to.
Thank you.

They still live in caves... pretty cool actually. Are they living like deep in them or along the edge with windows and stuff ?

Cause when it's full of sunlight I might consider it. First thing I would get myself is a big bat and a nice looking cave lady.

Are the caves spread along the river or is there a specific place I should look for them ?

new topics

top topics

join