It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nemesis: The Death Star

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
AN invisible star may be circling the Sun and causing deadly comets to bombard the Earth, scientists said yesterday.

The brown dwarf - up to five times the size of Jupiter - could be to blame for mass extinctions that occur here every 26 million years.

The star - nicknamed Nemesis by Nasa scientists - would be invisible as it only emits infrared light and is incredibly distant.

Nemesis is believed to orbit our solar system at 25,000 times the distance of the Earth to the Sun.

the sun

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73f73f8dc4d9.jpg[/atsimg]

A dark object may be lurking near our solar system, occasionally kicking comets in our direction.

Nicknamed “Nemesis” or “The Death Star,” this undetected object could be a red or brown dwarf star, or an even darker presence several times the mass of Jupiter.

Why do scientists think something could be hidden beyond the edge of our solar system? Originally, Nemesis was suggested as a way to explain a cycle of mass extinctions on Earth.

www.astrobio.net...

Project Camelot interviews Andy Lloyd who has been researching the brown dwarf for over 10 years. As it happens, his theories are just now gaining support. There was even a recent newspaper article in the SUN about the possibility.

Another thread with some more information about the brown dwarf is here

Peace,
Wari

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Wow I guess Isaac asimov mightve been onto something when he wrote that book lol But seriously this could develop into a bog problem but I doubt we will be around to see If this Nemesis destroys anything else.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
it may still be possible there's a large dark body we haven't found that's a part of our solar system but its grows more and more unlikely every day that passes .
and at this point I believe its safe to totally rule out any type of star inferred or not as the Gama x rays radio waves and all the rest can be picked up easily for 70 years .
so at most we mite have a Jupiter sized planet out there but even that's not likely as a gas planet like that also send out all kinds of different waves as its so large its creates its own heat and winds and so one creating radio waves galore heck even earth has plenty of natural radio sources .
so does mars Venus Jupiter Saturn Neptune Uranus all can be picked up with the radio telescopes around the world so if a large planet was there chances are over 95% we would already know and if it was a star 99.9% chance we would have known buy the 70des at the latest .
sorry to disappoint you . But really you should have not been playing in science class

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
o ps there is ONE and only one space body taht could be a part of our solar system we COULDENT know was there and its a 100% possibility we DONT have any tek to detect it..
now who can tell me what that is?
ill give you a hint not even light can escape it radio x rays gama rays without it sucking something in we CANT see it hear it find it would never know untill it was so close to earth (as long as it took the right trak to miss buy millions upon millions of miles the other planets.
untill earth started being torn apart from its gravitational effects .
ps this would also give you your 2012 buy the way because it can be withing 500million miles now and we wouldent KNOW.
can you tell me what this is?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
He is not the only one with this theory. Shri Yukteshwar included in the foreword of his 19th century English book "The Holy Science" an important interpretation of the Hindu yuga theory (the theory of world ages) which neared our precession cycle (24,000 to present-day estimates of 25,920 years) based on literal reading of certain Hindu classics. David Crittenden - billionaire amateur astronomer and astrophysicist set out to prove his theories in the late 20th century. However, these people all subsume that a "dark companion of the Sun" would be around every 26,000 years or so, and that this cycle would be a direct cause of precession. This astronomer, however, implies that the Dark Star is tied to a far longer cycle - about 26 million years.
In short, both theories posit a dark companion of the Sun - which may not be perceivable with today's instruments as it is a cooled down star and not even a planet, thus our solar system is supposed to be double.
As an astrologer, I would be interested in the period and ecliptical location of this brown dwarf. It may be tied to historical periods as Pluto already has a 248 year orbit so it may not be usefulé in astrology per se, however, its cycles may influence those that are the source of ancient theories.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
An object can also be detected if it reflects light. Brown dwarfs reflect light as well as emit infrared. The object tentatively proposed to be 25000AU out has been named Tyche. It isn't the object that could be blamed for mass extinctions.
Persistent Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud

Getting WISE about Nemesis

While there’s little doubt about the destructive power of cosmic impacts, there is no evidence that comets have periodically caused mass extinctions on our planet. The theory of periodic extinctions itself is still debated, with many insisting that more proof is needed. Even if the scientific consensus is that extinction events don’t occur in a predictable cycle, there are now other reasons to suspect a dark companion to the Sun.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by stereologist]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Andy Lloyd: "The dark star will probably be discovered in the next 2 years".

WOW..... I'm really sorry, but just in case you don't want to listen to 1.25 hours of DRIVEL from Andy Lloyd, he doesn't say much. You would think after 10-15 years of study he would have something concrete.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Interesting from an astronomy POV but doesn't really tie into 2012 and neither is it a danger to us at all. That's if it exists, like i said not done much reading but is there any hard evidence it even exists?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Such huge body will afflict known planets trajectories. As I know there are no signs of such influence.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
it may still be possible there's a large dark body we haven't found that's a part of our solar system but its grows more and more unlikely every day that passes .
and at this point I believe its safe to totally rule out any type of star inferred or not as the Gama x rays radio waves and all the rest can be picked up easily for 70 years .
so at most we mite have a Jupiter sized planet out there but even that's not likely as a gas planet like that also send out all kinds of different waves as its so large its creates its own heat and winds and so one creating radio waves galore heck even earth has plenty of natural radio sources .
so does mars Venus Jupiter Saturn Neptune Uranus all can be picked up with the radio telescopes around the world so if a large planet was there chances are over 95% we would already know and if it was a star 99.9% chance we would have known buy the 70des at the latest .
sorry to disappoint you . But really you should have not been playing in science class

I am going to be a skeptic and say, "You don't know what you are talking about."

I love these astronomers who think they know all the laws of space. but yet they are finding new things everyday that makes them think twice. I hear stereologist about to reply to this post soon.....

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad
Such huge body will afflict known planets trajectories. As I know there are no signs of such influence.

LOL dont get me started.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I love these astronomers who think they know all the laws of space. but yet they are finding new things everyday that makes them think twice. I hear stereologist about to reply to this post soon.....

Finding new things in the universe does not include any new planets within or close to the orbits of the known planets. Learning new things about the universe does not mean that existing knowledge is invalidated.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

Finding new things in the universe does not include any new planets within or close to the orbits of the known planets. Learning new things about the universe does not mean that existing knowledge is invalidated.

LOL But all the other new systems we find are in a binary system. Hell, from what I read and watched on youtube that there are even systems with three suns.

So what makes this system so special that we only have one sun?

It is possible for "nibiru" to exist if this system had another sun to give it warmth.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

LOL But all the other new systems we find are in a binary system. Hell, from what I read and watched on youtube that there are even systems with three suns. So what makes this system so special that we only have one sun? It is possible for "nibiru" to exist if this system had another sun to give it warmth.

Not all stars are in binary systems. We may be in a binary system. Even if we were the companion star would have to be small and very far away. It cannot be emitting light otherwise we'd see it. It could be a brown dwarf or maybe a red dwarf. The issue is that it must be out ten of thousands of AU. It orbits out far and never gets close.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Not to far off topic but CERES LMAO SERIOUSLY--WHERE THEY THROW THAT IN AT....PLEASE TELL ME

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Laugh or do some simple research. Ceres is a dwarf planet. It has a mass of 9.4*10^20kg. The radius is 487km. Let's compare this to our moon. The moon has a mass of 7.3*10^22kg. The moonhas a radius 1737km.

Ceres has a mass 1.3% of the moon. Ceres has a radius that is 27% of the moon.

So yes, it is not a planet. It is much smaller than our moon and much lighter than our moon.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I did and seen its 32% of the total asteriod belt mass and does emitt light and has water and ice. Thing is with a planet with such resources present its wild that its not an important location for Earth to JUMP AS SOME SAY FROM. Thanx friend

[edit on 5/13/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Actually it reflects light, not emits light. That's an important distinction. That comes into play with the claims that a brown dwarf would be invisible if it were inside our solar system. Even if a brown dwarf emits infrared, it still reflects like.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Near-infrared images with a higher resolution taken over a whole rotation with the Keck telescope using adaptive optics showed several bright and dark features moving with the dwarf planet's rotation. Two dark features had circular shapes and are presumably craters; one of them was observed to have a BRIGHT central region, while another was identified as the "Piazzi" feature. More recent visible light Hubble Space Telescope images of a full rotation taken in 2003 and 2004 showed 11 recognizable surface features, the nature of which are currently unknown. One of these features corresponds to the "Piazzi" feature observed earlier.

Are you sure its reflecting and not emitting??

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Of course many things emit infrared as a result of the absorbing and emitting energy in the infrared. But Ceres was found as an the optical part of the spectrum. The predominant energy coming from Ceres is in the optical range.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join