It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our own ego, the biggest obstacle in finding truth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
After being a member for years and years now, I have had a chance to read many threads and there is an alarming fact that comes up.

Our own egos prevent us from seeing the truth. It doesn't matter if it is religion, the government, whatever, we hate to be wrong and to think that we have devoted that much time to a wrong belief. With this being said we will fight and argue to the end, even when we know we are wrong. No matter how many facts are presented to us, we will continue to protect our ego.

Its not just consipracy theories, it is life in general. Take Obama and his healthcare plan. Even if everyone in the world showed him that it was going to be a major destruction to this country he would have fought to pass it. Why? Because this was his big idea and he was going to stand behind it to the end. We all do this, the question is why? And is there anything we can do to prevent it?

Many great threads have been reduced to just plain trash because someone knows they are wrong but but are defending their wrong beliefs. It is easy to tell where exactly it occurs in a post. THe post is going along with a good debate and different sides presenting facts... Tehn boom it happens. Someone realizes they are wrong but they have to protect their ego. The usual sign is name calling. If you look at the majority of the posts, the name calling pops up right when one side has proven a point. This is followed by a repeat of the same information and usually all caps for extra umpf. Like yelling, name calling, or repetition will magically make a wrong idea right.

This is a behavior based upon the fact that most people are non-confrontational. It is as if you can force others to believe something that you know is wrong but are choosing to believe it to protect your ego.

Since our egos can stand in our way from finding the truths and working together in a healthy debate, the question comes up; Is this a natural part of our thought process or is it? Or are we conditioned to react this way?

I would love to hear some thoughts on this, I think we are conditioned to act this way. Religion is obvious but there are many others. Is driving 58 miles per hour really any worse than driving 55 mph? When we recite the pledge are we defending whatever the government tells us is good. Look in the news, the proof of the ego leading to name calling is obvious, ie. If you think this way you are a racist... What? If you are against illegal immigration you are a racist. If you are pro-choice you are a murderer? If you are a vegetarian or use alternative fuels, you are a crazy dreaming hippie??

It is this ego, it allows the for the silence of the people. If someone is going to speak out against something simply attach a nasty name to it and they will drop it because their ego cannot let anyone look down upon them. Well, its late and I will add more but I would like to hear everyone else's thoughts on this and lets see if we can keep namecalling out of the thread.

Be Cool
K_OS

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I 100% agree.

Let go of expectations, wants, needs, and do what excites you. Live in the now. For in truth, that is all there is.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Yes, your right on the button with that. I`ve said that for some time now. And have you noticed how with the way things are, many egos are being put to the test big time? This is the biggest reason why there is so much fear in people. The ego can`t handle having it`s little world turned on it`s side.

And yes, we are taught by our parents and in school, to look out for number one, and to go for the good life and all you can get. Very good topic I have to say.

It is very hard for many to break the chains of the ego, after having it pushed down your throat all your life. Could you imagine, how much this kills the spiritual side of humanity? It`s no wonder the world is in the state it`s in.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by FiatLux]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Good post and well written. I completely agree with the idea of ego's creating more negativity than anything for this world and our societies. Whether or not it is natural, i would say depends on the environment, so in the case of societies in most 1st world nations i would think it is natural, although obviously not healthy. Everything we do, even as children, is based around competition and confrontation, so it's hard not to have an ego, but none the less, people need to grow up and realize the larger picture. Buddhism teaches, everything good comes from pure wisdom and pure compassion. This is achieved by removing self/ego from the equation and thus giving yourself a better chance at understanding both, or all, sides of a problem/question/argument... I like that and it seems to have helped a lot. As for other people, I can not speak for them, but again I agree with you whole-heartedly. Religion, Business, Social Classes, Racial Superiority and definately Politics, all are like steroids for the ego and must be checked if we are to have any type of peace in this world.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
My ego isnt holding me from the truth. Yours may however.

Why do you ego hunters spend so much time figuring out what everyone elses needs and wants should be? Do you really have the right to pet ideas about truth at the expense of others? How can you be so full of control and not be egomaniac?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Wuau, having read so many years ago in very mystic sources about the huge problems our egomania cause, I am really pleased to know there is people reaching this conclusion by their own.

Have you try to keep your own ego on line?? is quite a hard task...

For the people interested in this subject, is one of topics in the work of Carlos Castaneda. In particular the last book "The active side of Infinity" is all about it (with a very debatable detail, but still very interesting): our ego is just pitiness for our self, and is a pitiness induced that make us take the wrong decision again and again.

The book "I am a strange loop" from Douglas Hofstadter is a must read (I am still on it) This man, a mainstream scientist, declares that our idea of ourselfs is just an illusion. Can you imagine it? We are all about ourselves and such self is just a false idea created by the way our mind works O_o

[edit on 10-5-2010 by oshdra]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Why do you ego hunters spend so much time figuring out what everyone elses needs and wants should be? Do you really have the right to pet ideas about truth at the expense of others? How can you be so full of control and not be egomaniac?

It`s the ego that keeps humanity from growing spiritually. The problem we face as a race is getting humans away from thinking only of themselves, and to thinking of the whole of humanity. And how is this a bad idea, if people are not forced to do it?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux

Originally posted by Logarock

It`s the ego that keeps humanity from growing spiritually. The problem we face as a race is getting humans away from thinking only of themselves, and to thinking of the whole of humanity. And how is this a bad idea, if people are not forced to do it?

Well ego here has such a broad definition that its application to make a point is useless.

Ego is most certainly not a thing that can be defined as anything and everything to do with self interest. Looking past the lion into the cave of bones is a good self preservation ego thingy. There is a word for folks that dont use this gift. They are called fools.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

That is the whole point in this subject.........the self. And yes, it`s the ego that makes one think of themselves, as with SELF preservation, thinking only of one`s own self.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux
reply to post by Logarock

That is the whole point in this subject.........the self. And yes, it`s the ego that makes one think of themselves, as with SELF preservation, thinking only of one`s own self.

What I am talking about is this idea of divesting oneself of self to the point of stupidity. This is how cults work. All "self" seems to be a bad thing to a limited few that just so happen to have all sorts of ideas about what you should do with yourself.

Its always those with thier hand out that tell us that we are not giving enough. I keep a look out on my neighbors house for fire and theft but he doest exspect me to take out his trash or cook his dinner.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As I understand it, ego is a stage of development, and there are stages within the development of the ego too. Some people get "stuck" at an immature stage, and I think these may be the ones you are referring too. See
www.ahalmaas.com...

and

en.wikipedia.org...'s_stages_of_ego_development

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
To the OP Kos: You are right. Nearly everyone seems to look at everything solely from their own perspective, and hardly ever consider other's viewpoints or how the situation could effect others. I learned this a long time ago in life and have tried to adapt my responses to this behavior by demonstrating at least a willingness to listen to both sides before forming an opinion. Do I falter, absolutely; that is part of what being human is about. When I was in my twenties you could tell me that it was a sunny day, and I would argue that it is actually a partly cloudy day

What does happen repeatedly here on ATS however is that someone brings up an issue, sometimes proves their point thru their own presentation, and by others particpation in the discussion, to a level that could be considered awesome, or definitely a "win" in a court of law, only to have someone bring up a comment like "that is just bull", which contributes nothing to the discussion, other than
to show their immaturity or intelligence level.

I don't think there will ever be a time here when everyone agrees
100% on a single topic, nor should there be in a free society. I honestly believe, for example that when "disclosure" occurs, there will be many threads started here that the disclosure is fake or government sponsored.

I think everyone should be willing, at the very least, to keep an open mind, and strive to listen carefully, think and then respond.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions". This is true more so than defending ones own ego.

If people believe they are doing the right thing, they will defend the idea vigorously, even if the idea is wrong or flawed.

"A man should always have two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason" - J.P. Morgan

Example: Womens liberation was an idea created and funded by the Rockefeller's. Most people think this was a noble idea, but the true purpose was to create 2 taxpayers in every family instead of 1. Also the STATE gets to indoctrinate the child at an earlier age, so the child looks at the STATE as their family instead of the parent. This was outlined in the video below:

Google Video Link

new topics

top topics

join