It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female posters incapable of original thought?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wobbly Anomaly
can afford a gardener.

I don't know if that was meant to have an implied meaning, but it brings up a point. I've lost count of the amount of times in a thread where, when somebody doesn't know the answer to something or something seems highly implausible, countless flocks of sheep come in the thread and ask for Phage, as if he's infallible. Also, I sometimes see a thread made by a popular user have barely any replies, but tons of stars and flags. It's almost as if their "fans" are flagging and starring the popular user's thread not due to content, but simply because it was that user who made the thread. It's kind of funny seeing a thread made somewhere get hardly any attention and then see a popular user make that exact same thread in a different forum and getting hundreds of stars and flags. Then, when a mod closes that thread since the other one was made first and better suited in the other forum, fans come in and whine in the other user's thread about how "unfair" it was for the other thread to be closed.

If female posters are incapable of thought, fanboys appear to be in a Level 1 coma.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
[I don't want the guys afraid they'll be accused of something just for posting in this thread.

Jenna, this really bugs me.

You start a thread with a very valid point, you lay it out, making it crystal clear that you're not talking about ALL men. You are clear that it wasn't inspired by something that was said to you personally and you define your focus with very good and logical questions.

You get challenged and attacked time and time again (because some men had such an emotional and personal reaction to your OP - all the while accusing women of being emotional and taking it personally) and now you want to protect them from being afraid to post here?

THIS is the double standard at play here. THIS is part of the problem.

I find it interesting as I read over this thread that there are so many accusations of women being "emotional", yet, if you read the posts, it's not the women who are being emotional, sensitive and defensive here.

Also, you have been asked several times to prove your claims with links to specific posts, and yet the people who are asking this have gone on to make accusations themselves without any links to prove their claims. Double standard.

I think this illustrates a major problem. And that is that the expectations that some men have of women are FAR higher or more strict than those they have of themselves. It's a double standard that SHOULD be brought to light, not hidden, so the guys won't be afraid to post. They weren't afraid to post a few pages back. They had plenty to say.

Here's a Thread (so I can show proof) that generalizes women. No big deal. But I can't help notice that no women came in there and asked the OP for proof of his claims, no one became enraged and used a bunch of exclamation points, nor did the thread turn nasty or last 20 pages. Just a simple little question and discussion.

Why is this thread different? Because of the double standard.

Here's another one. No women came in and chewed this guy out for his OP or demanded sources or anything. Just a couple of pages of random comments on women.

And another. And BTS is LOADED with full-out anti-woman threads.

Why is it that men can start these types of threads talking about men and women, but when a woman starts one, it gets all kids of emotional and defensive responses from men who are somehow taking it personally, when they haven't even been attacked? It's the very double standard that you bring up in your OP.

This generalization that you brought up DOES exist. That's not an attack on men and it's not to say that all men have it. I'm married to a man who respects and honors women. There are plenty of men who do. I LOVE men! Yet, it's curious that in this day and age, there are still men who think like hotbakedtater's links illustrate. And they are HERE on ATS. They are everywhere. It's not unrealistic to wonder about it and want to have a discussion about it. And if the double standard ISN'T pointed out as nunya13 tries to point out, no one is ever going to see it and it will be pushed under the rug again.

I don't think it's helpful to make your claim and then not be willing to state exactly what the problem is. And show examples. Men need that. I know you don't want to appear to be an ass, and I respect that. But if you just state things as a general problem without specifics, then how are these men supposed to understand what you're talking about? And if you protect their feelings by NOT being specific, who can blame them for getting angry?

Maybe it's the stuff I've learned about men in my 18-year marriage, but men ARE different. And one way they're different is that they don't (can't?) appreciate generalities. They like concrete examples. Pussyfooting around just makes it look like you're whining and complaining about a general feeling. I know you're not, but unless you are willing to lay it out there, don't expect them to "get it".

Everything I just said is purely my opinion and I'm perfectly willing to be wrong.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
What the hell is your point?
Your not claiming to be offended?
Some members are sexist?

I just dont get it...I just wasted 2 minutes of my life reading and responding to this!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You raise some excellent points. I have seen so many threads where something offensive another poster said is alluded to, and becomes the topic of the thread, yet no examples are used.

I try to provide examples because I am a visual learner, sometimes just seeing in action so to speak an example of what you want to discuss, is needed to further the topic for many of us. It lessens the vagueness.

I want to add that if it relates to the topic, I see no reason you cannot link like I did for example, to certain threads and posts with in the threads that are of relevance to the topic.

A great example of allusion and no examples are the plethora of DISINFO AGENT threads/posts scattered about this site.

I think female posters who come on strong are intimidating to a certain type of man. I am like oil to water to certain men!

Over all I feel this thread has been educating.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This is an interesting thread.

From some of the "descriptions" here - of what men feel women "are like" -

I've concluded that people are watching way too much TV.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
Most Woman seem to be completely unaware of their body and mind and unwilling to put the effort in needed to question the world around them.

To be fair, how many people who are just starting to get involved with exercising understand everything about it though. No one starts out understanding all the mechanics of how certain exercises cause your body to work and what the results will be. The same applies to everything else. No one starts anything as an expert, and asking questions is how we learn.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Jenna, you've taken the high road.
Aboveandbeyond, thanks for laying it out, because I was going to.

Ladies and Gentleman, may I tell you what happened last night?

I was not posting, just reading, as I often do. I came across this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was active, and I was enjoying the conversation. I was actually learning a great deal. There were funny video's which made me laugh, and also disturbing videos. It's a good thread, and the participants were good contributors. The OP was a good host.

Somewhere around the middle of the thread I see something directed to one of the female posters to the effect of "your girlie girl comments". Then an actual invitation to stop posting, and go to another thread.

Then others joined in. I really couldn't believe it was happening. I've never seen anything like it on ATS. Do people ever disagree with me? Of course. But I've never thought it was because I'm female.

I've seen bits and snatches of sexism, but never in a vicious way. I thought this was vicious.

And yes, I'm putting this up here for anyone who wants to see, to see.
The females handled it as well as they could, and remained civil.
Me, not so much. But I just reached the point that I didn't care if I had an OT. Which by the way, never came.

I know men are wired differently than we are. There is no question about that. But the attitude I saw last night was unintelligent, archaic, barbaric, and has absolutely no place on this website anymore than racism and hate speech has a place.

I want to add that I personally believe what I witnessed last was moreless an isolated incident. I really don't see sexism much on ATS, and I know plenty of males on here, that had they seen what was written, would have been stand-up for us females.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I don't recall a sexist remark every being made towards me on the forum, but then maybe I was to stupid to notice.

But then quite a few posters have assumed I am male.

Do I come off as male?

[edit on 073131p://bFriday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Change the site code to allow a choice of colors for the stars we can put on posts... pink for female posts and blue for male posts... Grey should be an option for those posts where gender of the poster is unclear.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I agree with u, women are the ones incapable of understanding ATS posts !!!!

instantbazinga.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

No, you're a girlie-girl! Just kidding. I don't think I've noticed sexism either, Stormdancer, until last night. At least not in a mean way.

BTS is another matter....but that is just playful stuff. Nothing ever mean, just flirty silly stuff. This was mean. If you haven't, go look at the thread. You'll be horrified.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I just want to say women in general are the best thing on this planet.

...and I love them and everything about them.

They should post more on the threads - their feminine energies and intuitions are desperately needed in a lot of the threads I post in - always seems I get cranky old men posting in mine

Oh and women should run the world - after all Gaia is all woman and us blokes should be respectful of that.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

WOW and you got two stars for your post.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

What thread ?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

What thread ?

Here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

To WZN: I ♥ you.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noncompatible
The tactic works. How do I/we know this ?
Well you started this thread. Rookie mistake. If you are seen to have a point of weakness it will be attacked without mercy.

My wife informs me her response would be simple "Try thinking with your large head moron."
Fight fire with fire and don't let it needle you.

I like your wife.

As I pointed out before though, it's not about comments directed at me just comments I've seen. I've been the target of some sure, but I usually sit here and just laugh at them because they don't know the first thing about me to base their assumptions on. I call them out on it, but it doesn't hurt my feelings when they do it. To me it just shows a lack of maturity on their part. I started the thread to talk about the reasons behind the comments, though, not the comments themselves which I probably should have made clearer in the OP.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
www.criticalthinking.com...

Here everyone, quick, take this quiz,

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

thank you

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I was only referring to the real basics, similar to knowing your car has an engine and takes oil and petrol.

Think about this, your body is about the ONLY thing you truly own. So to get to 60 and not know how it basically works to me is irresponsible.

Now when these same woman have the choice of 3 magazines to read. 1 is a fitness mag, 1 is a science digest and the other a gossip mag.

Which one do you think they pick up ? ( And remind yourself they are here to try and get healthy).

That's right the gossip mag every time. In fact they complain if we dont have them. So they have the time to educate themselves just zero motivation, they make a "personal choice" to fill their head with frivolous, useless BS.

I think there is something seriously wrong with that.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
Could be worse. You could be an American woman of African descent who is a single mother and a lesbian with ADHD as well as being paraplegic.

-m0r

are you joking? if you were ever fired from a job you could sue for millions.

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join