It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town BANS selling bottled water... Welcome to Amerika, land of the free!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
FalsleyFlagged, I can't but ask what is your agenda here? What purpose do you envision yourself fulfilling here? The article that you listed as a source clearly states that they want to cut down on the use of non-refillable plastic bottles.

They also mention that 17 million barrels of oil is used each year making these non-recyclable bottles. This bill has absolutely nothing to do with taking away freedoms, it only deals with trying to salvage what we have of the earth. You can still buy water in plastic bottles, you just have to buy your water in recyclable bottles.

Why would you want to pay for water anyway? Buy one bottle and refill it in YOUR kitchen, unless you don't think thats safe enough, then boil it. Filter it as it comes out, theres many modern devices at your disposal.

From the way you talk, I'd be willing to bet you are a pawn of the companies that would be losing money from this ban. Trying to get Americans roweled up about their freedoms disappearing, and its all the government's fault. Maybe your bosses should hire a someone better at persuading the masses without insulting their intelligence.

~Santh

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Santh]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

quite right, 'Tater. There is always water in my van. I don't go for a walk without it. I'm partial to old-fashioned western canteens, myself, but there are other containers I use. Duluth sells a decent stainless steel one.

The point I made earlier, is that if bottled/glassed water afficianados would just extropolate their yearly water expenditures, I'm pretty certain that most of them would save tons of dough by buying a Berkey, or equivalent water filtration system. Berkey is gravity-fed, no moving parts, and takes out all the nasties -- even Fluoride, if you get the PF-2 filter, all for a coupla hundred dollars.

Some people choose to buy bottled water -- they are the target audience. You can make your own for less. Those that live on well water or other sources are unaffected.

As you said, we all need to take care of our own ........ needs! These days, we always have at least 2500 gallons in one cistern or another. Still, I always keep 110 gallons in two 55-gallons drums, as well as 20 gallons in 5-gallon containers. Nothing like being able to flush a toilet in the middle of a hurricane.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
So... what about plastic soda bottles...

Be interesting to see what's still sold there, huh

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
What if you don't want to drink the city/tap water? Most tap water contains small amounts of fluoride, among other toxins. I buy Ozarka Spring water,and I recycle the bottles as much as I can. I personally don't like like the taste of any other water - tap included.
I see how some people are saying it is about the plastic bottles, but are all sodas in plastic bottles going to be banned as well? any other liquid in plastic?
I see it as an overstep of local government. Taking away more freedoms and rights. Why doesn't this town charge a bottle water tax or get the water bottle companies to offer a refund of the bottles instead? Or up recycling efforts on plastic in the town.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Soda will still be sold in that city. Its water bottles only thats getting banned. The argument is that we're polluting the Earth by paying for something we get relatively free, because you can't get soda from your tap... At least I cant.

~Santh

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The story says they've banned bottled drinking water. So I'm assuming they're talking about that pricey Avian and the likes. You see the bottles laying around everywhere. I use distilled water for my coffee and cooking... and have for years. I distilled my own for awhile but recently quit and started buying it again. Since doing this, it has gone up .20 per gallon. So I suspect that eventually I'm probably gonna have to start distilling it again. I don't trust reverse osmosis... it's just not the same or as safe.

[edit on 4/5/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Water bag = colostomy bag. In the United States of Amerika you should not be required to carry around your water or die.

If you don't want to buy it, then don't.. But why should you limit the freedoms of another person?

First, I know what you meant regarding the colostomy bag, my response was dry sarcasm. I am sorry you missed that.

Second, what freedoms are limited with this law?

And third, when mocking my country, I prefer the spelling, Uhmurikuh.

ETA. Fourthly, I can see a point of hypocrisy being made, since soda does not seem to be banned.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Santh
FalsleyFlagged, I can't but ask what is your agenda here? What purpose do you envision yourself fulfilling here? The article that you listed as a source clearly states that they want to cut down on the use of non-refillable plastic bottles.

They also mention that 17 million barrels of oil is used each year making these non-recyclable bottles. This bill has absolutely nothing to do with taking away freedoms, it only deals with trying to salvage what we have of the earth. You can still buy water in plastic bottles, you just have to buy your water in recyclable bottles.

No. The plastic bottles WERE recyclable. They're saying you have to use "refillable bottles".. That only means the MASSIVE bottles you use at a water cooler. They don't sell or process refillable glass bottles in this day and age, it uses far more energy and burns more oil than using a tiny plastic bottle. Not to mention the safety. Would you buy something with the safety seal broken? How do they clean they inside of those glass bottles?

Are you saying that being able to buy and sell water (the most necessarily life giving element next to oxygen) is not a freedom??

And who the hell cares if it uses 17 million barrels of oil a year? That's what, like a few hours of the world's oil production? I guess we should ban car tires too. And that plastic reusable water bottle. Now you should use metal.

And plastic packages. We should just start gassing all humans, they all use too much oil, and do nothing but ruin the earth. It's not freedom of living that matters, its freedom of the earth!

Just wait til you get herpes on your mouth from drinking out of the wrong fountain, or some bacteria makes the tap undrinkable.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Oh Golly Geez there! Of all the things to get excited over.

I notice there are a few of us here that remember glass bottles and deposits as being the norm. That is how I used to get a little extra spending money when I was in school. I am really surprised that Massachusetts did not find a way to tax the heck out of it instead of or in addition to banning it.

Anyway, if you think banning non-recyclable bottles is bad, then you may want to see what North Carolina did last year. According to this article, NC banned ALL plastic bottles from their landfills. Source

Unfortunately, we as a society adopted the use it once and throw it away philosophy several years ago and it has caught up to us. I do not see any loss of liberties with this ban.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
First, I know what you meant regarding the colostomy bag, my response was dry sarcasm. I am sorry you missed that.

Second, what freedoms are limited with this law?

And third, when mocking my country, I prefer the spelling, Uhmurikuh.

ETA. Fourthly, I can see a point of hypocrisy being made, since soda does not seem to be banned.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by hotbakedtater]

Hmmmm, ever heard of the phrase "Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness?"

Life = needs water.

Liberty = needs water.

Happiness = needs water.

What if you are walking around and want to drink some water... "OH NO, that's a privilege, you need be at home to expect to be able to buy water. What were you thinking, comrade?"

Lastly, I wasn't making fun of the spelling of Amerika. This is it's spelled in the Soviet era of a totalitarian freedom hating government, with freedom-hating voters who prop them up.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wayne60
not find a way to tax the heck out of it instead of or in addition to banning it.

Anyway, if you think banning non-recyclable bottles is bad, then you may want to see what North Carolina did last year.

Why can't people get it through their head that plastic bottles ARE RECYCLABLE. It's not the recycling that was the problem. They want RE-USABLE bottles.

How safe is that to re-use bottles? Would you want a re-used condom? How do you know somebody isn't putting poison in all of them then throwing them away? Trace elements would still be left to contaminate the water after the "thorough" cleaning that they get.

Plus, they would all have to be the same size, shape, etc. We don't have that kind of system set up anymore.. Do you know how much oil it would take to manufacture the bottles, collect all the bottles, clean all the bottles?

GET REAL. That would burn more oil than the stupid plastic bottles which get recycled anyway.

YES, it is something to get excited about. Just wait til they ban fast food, because it uses packaging. You need to eat only using washable dishes.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

It's Concord MA. I'm really not surprised.

Why? I live an hour west of there. This kind of thinking permeates the whole state.

I remember back in the 90's when "loosies" were banned aka single cigarettes rather than whole packs. . little kids were buying loosies. The mothers then made a move to have the sale of loosies banned rather then go after the stores selling the cigarettes to minors. Same kind of thinking.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It's too difficult to fluoridate all the different brands of bottled water. Just use the tap, it's harmless.

I promise

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

So can you buy distilled water at a refill station? And how do you get the label stating that it is distilled in that case?
FWIW, distilled water is the best water to give to your pets & reverse osmosis is the most efficient system for purifying drinking water. I learned this (& was surprised) from both my veterinary internist; verified by the surgeon who was taking care of one of my dogs. Both men served in the first Gulf War in the veterinary corps.

We never should have abandoned glass. Healthier & recyclable. I guess we were just too stoopid & clumsy to be careful.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

Many soft drinks come in glass bottles. Dublin Dr Pepper (sugar, not HFCS), Coke, Frostie Root Beer, Crush, Big Red & all of IBCs drinks. They cost more & not all states will allow money back, but they taste so much better, are healthier, & are in smaller portions.
Sodas in plastic or metal taste like bong water.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I don't think you know what a colostomy bag is.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

What is this fascination with STDs? And nowhere in the article is a glass bottle mentioned. It would seem that the people in this city is trying to take a small step towards a greener future by starting with these NON-RECYCLABLE bottles. The bottles that they are banning are NON-RECYCLABLE. That was the whole point of the ban. You have to give them credit for trying to save what we have left of the world in their own way. And this bill hurts no one but the companies that choose to put these environmental hazards on our shelves. You can get the same tasteless water from another rip-off artist for the same amount, without putting waste in our landfill that won't break down for centuries.

This bill takes away no freedoms except the freedom to poison the world. I can see you arguing against the bill if your very favorite bottler was being banned from the city, but then again, all they would have to do it change to a more eco-friendly plastic. I don't see why this even made news, except at first glance it seems like a "What The Heck Is Going On" law.

~Santh

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

I don't think you know what a colostomy bag is.

It's a bag you are forced to carry around with you everywhere you go.. Kind of like a bottle of water, if you can't even buy some to drink at the store because the government says its illegal.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What about the billions of Coca Cola and Pepsi bottles littering our planet? We dont hear about those kinds of bans do we? Oh but the bottled water- THATS- THE PROBLEM!

Rediculous bans.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Uh, not really but I can see you simply want to rant

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join