It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reid Schumer Menendez Immigration Reform Bill (Draft)-Here it is

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Democrats Immigration Bill Proposal

Conceptual Proposal for Immigration Reform
I. Achieving Operational Control of America’s Borders to Prevent Future Illegal
Immigration
A. Securing the Border First Before any Action can be Taken to Change the Status
of people in the United States Illegally
Proponents of immigration reform acknowledge that we need to meet clear and concrete benchmarks before we can finally ensure that America’s borders are secure and effectively deal with the millions of illegal immigrants already in the United States.

These benchmarks must be met before action can be taken to adjust the status of people already in the United States illegally and should include the following:
(1) increased number of Border Patrol officers;
(2) increased number of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents to combat smuggling operations;
3) increased number of ICE worksite enforcement inspectors and increased inspection resources;
4) increased number of ICE document fraud detection officers and improved detection capability;
5) increased number of personnel to conduct inspections for drugs, contraband, and illegal immigrants at America’s ports of entry;
6) improved technology, infrastructure, and resources to assist the Border Patrol and ICE in their missions;
7) increased resources for prosecution of drug smugglers, human traffickers, and unauthorized border crossers; and
8) increased immigration court resources to expedite the removal of unlawfully
present individuals.

I just got a hold of this, so I'll comment more once I read through it. I already saw a couple things I question, but want to make sure I understand it correctly before commenting.

For instance..
Page 4 C. Other Necessary Reforms

Because the federal government will have fulfilled its obligation to secure
America’s borders, states and municipalities will be prohibited from enacting their own rules and penalties relating to immigration, which could undermine federal policies.

Federal Government Trumping States Rights?

In addition to increasing border enforcement, this proposal will substantially enhance our capabilities to detect, apprehend, and remove persons who entered the United States unlawfully

Hmm.. how do you suppose they'll be "detecting" these illegals. Ask for proof they're supposed to be here maybe? Isn't that what Arizona is trying to do?

Have at it.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by lernmore]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Alright, the first thing I would like brought up is this little component of their work.

From your link-

In order to prevent future waves of illegal immigration, this proposal recognizes that no matter what we do on the border, our ports of entry, and in the interior, we will not be completely effective unless we can prevent the hiring, recruitment, or referral of unauthorized aliens in America’s workplaces. Jobs are what draw illegal immigrants to the United States. Not later than 18 months after the date of enactment of this proposal, the Social Security Administration will begin issuing biometric social security cards. These cards will be fraud-resistant, tamper-resistant, wear resistant, and machine-readable social security cards containing a photograph and an electronically coded micro-processing chip which possesses a unique biometric identifier for the authorized card-bearer.

And the REAL ID begins in earnest.

Hmmmm. I wonder if SKL would like to say-

I TOLD YOU!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

That was actually the first thing I noticed when I scanned the pages...thought ATS is gonna LOVE this.

Of course, the only reason they're letting anyone even see this is because Reid and his fellow democrats are trying to save that Latino mid-term vote. Arizona put a wrench in the promises big O made, and they had no intention of dealing with the reforms before they bent us all over a climate change bill.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Next component I find interesting.

The Department of Homeland Security estimates that there are approximately 10.8 million people currently in the United States with no legal status. Accordingly, this proposal not only includes well-designed statutory provisions that will strengthen future enforcement, but also includes a broad-based registration program that requires all illegal immigrants living in the U.S. to come forward to register, be screened, and, if eligible, complete other requirements to earn legal status, including paying taxes. These criteria are intended to exclude individuals who threaten public safety or national security and to ensure that those individuals taking advantage of the program intend to stay in the U.S., integrate into society, and become productive, tax-paying members of the community.

The further I read into this section-unless they are a criminal; unless of course they have been convicted of 3 or less misdemeanors, pass terrorism screening, are not a LEGAL immigrant, came in after the date of passing of the bill.

So hurry up folks. When the bill passes, that is when you can no longer get AMNESTY.

So far we have the REAL ID ACT and AMNESTY

So, in a cursory view we have a TWOFER, Two things that the American people do not want. Yes, it is amazing how everyone stated here this was going to happen.

Yes, we are just CONSPIRACY THEORIST, oh wait, that is not quite right, CONSPIRACY FACTUALISTS!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
So far we have the REAL ID ACT and AMNESTY

But wait!

Laws will be amended to encourage individuals here illegally to depart voluntarily.

Really? Whew... and I thought..uh.

They aren't paying attention to the law now!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Well as long as they encourage them to return.

Oh I swear, we have laws that can be used to throw them out, but of course are not used that much, but encouragement will work.

Frelling morons!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

No really, see our military IDs are already with all of the above in the OP, every time my husband and I go to a military base we get our cards read by a scan and that will monitor all our movements in the base.

This started last year.

We still have our driver licenses and other identifications.

The proposed card change is for the SS, after all that is the biggest problem with illegals they can get access of SS for the right prices at the expenses of legal Americans privacy.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

This part of the bill Hell not

Page 4 C. Other Necessary Reforms

Because the federal government will have fulfilled its obligation to secure
America’s borders, states and municipalities will be prohibited from enacting their own rules and penalties relating to immigration, which could undermine federal policies

Nothing but bull crap to me.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

But, does your Id have biometric information in an RFID chipped card?

The section on the card is the biggest component of this proposal.

I want SKL to read through this component. He has done a lot of research into this aspect.

Of course they state the card will only be used for employment and SS usage.

That is what they say now. It is not true though. Every time any thing is done, Social Security number please.

A stealth way of getting Real Id in is my evaluation of this section of their proposal.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

My doesn't but my husband.s does, his card can also be used to access his computer at work in the military base he works at.

This is been going on for over three years now, the card has this metallic lines like microchip but bigger.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
All I can say is... what a mess!

Well, that's not all I can say... The feds should have been doing their job all along. They messed around and let it go until little old AZ stood up and said, "ENOUGH"! Now, they are forced to scramble and put something together that prevents AZ from taking its own action, AND supposedly deals with the problem of illegal immigration.

I honestly don't know what to think at this time. What a mess... :shk:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Actually while the bill seem like "good" is nothing but the federal government trying to take away the rights of states to impose their own rules, regulations and laws concerning the immigration issue.

I say hell no !!!!!!! this bill is not a good Idea.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Actually while the bill seem like "good" is nothing but the federal government trying to take away the rights of states to impose their own rules, regulations and laws concerning the immigration issue.

I say hell no !!!!!!! this bill is not a good Idea.

Couple of points here.

One, States do not have the authority to enforce federal immigration laws...they just don't. They can pretend like they do, which is what Arizona is doing...but in the end alll Arizona is doing is being a middle man. They don't have the authority to deport anyone...all they can do now is ATTEMPT to confirm legal status...which they don't have access to the systems or data to confirm this anyway. So all they can do is drag them down to ICE and leave them there....as opposed to before them calling ICE up and telling them they have a suspected illegal immigrant. When they would call ICE...they would just ignore them because they already have too much to deal with. What do you think they will do when local cops drag tons of illegals to ICE everyday??? I would say they are going to release them...because they don't have the man power to do anything about it.

Bottom line on the Arizona bill...it was two fold...one was just a political stunt to get this governor some brownie points with anti-immigration and anti-fed crowd. And it worked...there was a thread about wanting her as president already on ATS. Hook, Line, and Sinker.

The second point of the Arizona bill is my second point to you. The Arizona bill forced the federal government to push the immigration bill...and this is what Arizona wanted. Although...they probably didn't want what is going to be in the bill...they didn't care...they just wanted "something" done. Just like a large group here on ATS....you all just want "something" done...and now you are getting it.

I said from day one of this discussion about the Arizona bill that the ONLY way this can be enforced (any illegal immigration enforcement) is to have a National ID...that is it...no other way. And with all the support the Arizona bill got...that gives the federal government the support they need to finally implement it. So good job everyone here on ATS that supported the Arizona bill....you helped get the National ID implemented. So don't complain about it now.

You shouldn't be upset about the bill not allowing states to pass their own immigration laws...honestly for states to try to do that is retarded since they don't have any authority to enforce it themselves...they can not deport people. And would you honestly want every state having different immigration laws? As someone on ATS pointed out before...what if California passes a law that says their border is open and anyone crossing over is automatically a United States citizen...are you in support of the states to pass immigration laws like that??? Or only ones that are for deportation of illegals?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Ooooh. I did not see that part. Hmmm.

I think the secession movement just gained 1 million more people. Telling the states they cannot protect themselves.

That is like saying to a citizen, sorry we are going to take your guns so that you cannot defend yourselves against all the criminals in your midst.

I find that part of the proposal to be the most egregious.

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Our federal government has FAILED in its BASIC job of protecting it's citizens. And now, for that very ENTITY to say the states do not have the RIGHT to protect itself, because the federal government WILL NOT, states exactly the attitude of the federal government.

Here is what that section means-

You states will not stop our agenda, we mean to destroy the sovereignty of this country and you will not stop us.

Sounds like to me, the federal government has just fired the first shot across the bow of State's Rights.

Do you not love the part, because the federal government "will have" done it's responsibility. Will have is future tense. Maybe in five years we will protect our borders. It is just not really that important right now, because the destruction of the US is not quite done yet.

Funny how we "supposedly" need to be involved in two frelling wars to protect ourselves but we cannot even protect our borders.

So tell me people, do you have any questions about the federal governments intentions anymore? Any at all?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
And the REAL ID begins in earnest.

Oh, Lord! Wait till you hear this... I wasn't going to say anything here, but now that this has happened, I'm going to.

I had to go to the SS office yesterday (in Southern New Mexico) to straighten out my name on their files. It's located in the Dept of Human Services (child support, food stamps, supplemental income, etc.) There were probably 50-60 people in there when I arrived. I was one of about 2 white people. Not an unusual situation where I live.

I overheard the guy in front of me (probably 26-28 years old) saying that he wanted a SS card, but didn't have any ID... The lady told him that he can't get a SS card without an ID. But then she proceeded to give him specific directions about how to obtain a picture ID. She told him where to go and said he would be able to get back in time to get a SS card ordered that same day (they close at noon). There was never any mention of a birth certificate or ANY document to prove that he was legal or anything. He drove there, but there was no mention of a drivers license.

I have a suspicion (as of yet, unfounded) that people within the SS system are helping illegal immigrants obtain US ID cards that will get them into the system.

Now, I don't know that this man was an illegal immigrant. I have no way of knowing that. But he had NO ID and drove there and she went out of her way to help him.

Me? I had an order signed by a judge and notarized. I had to pay about $200 to get my name legally changed, put it in the paper for 2 weeks, see a judge. I had my birth certificate, drivers license and divorce papers with me. And I drive 60 miles one-way to deliver this paper to the SS. Their response to me?

"This is the wrong form. It just says "ORDER" at the top. It's supposed to say "FINAL ORDER".

This illegal immigrant situation is a total clusterfup. I have to just marvel at how bad it has gotten and how incompetent the people we have hired to take care of this country have done. This will be "interesting times", indeed. I have to laugh. If I don't, I'll cry.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Sorry all bets are off now... two more Americans murdered in columbus, new mexico... a local residence shot up and two dogs killed. Columbus is about 12 miles north of the Mexican border. Our State Department had no comment!

No its past time to seal the border and send everyone home...

you want to pass a useful bill how about some type of reparation for us Americans fleeing the border to safer parts of the country??? doesn't have to be much heck the use one of their crappy FEMA trailers to move my junk for me and save me the cost of a rental truck...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Well that was a read, and all I can say, is that it will do absolutely nothing for illegale immigrant and will end up putting the US citizens on a federal ID card. So in short, a document that has some bark, but absolutely no Teeth, and no means to carry out any actions, as it fails to address any problem, just to placate the voters. No real solutions, and a national ID to boot. If this was a real solution you would see things like fines, penaltities for violating the laws in it. The boarders do not even get secured for several years, and ultimately strips states of their ability to protect their citizens and any who come in.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Just to compare Mexico has a single, streamlined law that ensures that foreign visitors and immigrants are:

•in the country legally;
•have the means to sustain themselves economically;
•not destined to be burdens on society;
•of economic and social benefit to society;
•of good character and have no criminal records; and
•contributors to the general well-being of the nation.
The law also ensures that:
•immigration authorities have a record of each foreign visitor;
•foreign visitors do not violate their visa status;
•foreign visitors are banned from interfering in the country's internal politics;
•foreign visitors who enter under false pretenses are imprisoned or deported;
•foreign visitors violating the terms of their entry are imprisoned or deported;
•those who aid in illegal immigration will be sent to prison.

Pretty simple dont you think

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

So your whole argument is that ICE doesn't have the resources to enforce Federal laws that we already have?

Here's an idea...

Put bus driver caps on all those employees of our already bloated and continually swelling government, send the illegals back home, and charge their country of origin for the cost of the transportation.

Creates jobs, eliminates the massive illegal immigration infestation, and brings in revenue.

Sounds better than amnesty and some draconian micro-chipped biometric SS BS. Apparently the Federal government doesn't give a damn that legal U.S. citizens can't find jobs. They only want the illegals to step out of the shadows and pay taxes, so they can increase the size of the government even more!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Yes you are right, I know what the bill is trying to do, is trying to get national attention to the illegal immigration problem.

But the state of Arizona is no stupid they are only enforcing existing federal laws nothing else.

Now as for that bill been drafted by Menendez is going to actually do nothing about immigration like any other federal bill has done and actually enforce that no state will be able to do anything either.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by marg6043]

<<   2 >>

join