It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says no aliens visit earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
quote:
[Just because Steven Hawking says there aren't any doesn't mean he knows as a fact...

It's HIS opinion, and while he may be extremely smart it doesn't make what he says the truth...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just Steven being very clever again. You are hardly considered a
"visitor" if you are already living here.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by manta78]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Yep its all about guessing, and they want to be right, so they protect there position.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by The Shrike
snip
I can't wait to read his obituary.

That's a bit much isn't it?

Disagree with him all you want but don't wish death on the man.

He's useless and not doing anything worthwhile that's benefitting even a single human. We have enough theorists. I bet Kevorkian dribbles every time he sees a photo of good ol' Stephen! I also disagree with Barry Soetoro!

[edit on 25-4-2010 by The Shrike]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

hi i added the sources to the OP for you

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well I am going to express an opinion that is slightly politically incorrect.

I would not believe in anything that is quoted as Hawkings words.

The man can not speak and has not been able to for many years.

How do we know these quotes are actually his thoughts and beliefs.

As far as we know the disease that destroyed his motor skills and left him a wheelchair bound invalid also may have effected his mind.

It could be that his family and supporters has been using him as a "puppet" to live off of his fame and fortune, since the condition took away his ability to speak.

I have stopped reading anything that is attributed to him a long time period ago.

He has to me just become a real life "Wizard of Oz".

Who is the real "voice" behind the crippled mute scientist known as Stephen Hawkins?

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Not as harsh as my definitely politically incorrect opinion but makes sense and is as good as can be expressed.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

For me? For everyone you mean. If you quote someone directly or indirectly you must supply a source - those are the ATS rules.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Heres famous alien civilization believer Carl Sagan on the UFO phenomenon. He was invited onto an air force panel to review the best cases. This is what he thought.

There is not a single verified or checked out report which is at all connectable to Extra terrestrials. That doesnt mean i think ET life is impossible quite the contrary...I think the key to what is behind the real belief in flying saucers can be found in the contact myths. people who claim to have encountered ETs. It used to be possible to believe in a personal all knowing God.. science for good or bad has destroyed alot of the traditional theologies. The flying saucer myths are a really clever compromise its a way of having beings who come from the sky who are worried about us and powerfull, who are going to step in and stop us destroying ourselves and yet have it in the cloak of science, i think whats involved is psychology & theology rather than anything physical."
media.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 25-4-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

He also makes some interesting comments in this article from 1962:

Prof Says Beings From Outer Space Have Visited Earth
Associated Press, November 26, 1962

LOS ANGELES. (AP) - Some of the best scientific minds in the country were stumped when a slender, dark-haired young man chalked on the blackboard this equation:

N equals R FP NE FL FI FC L.

The speaker was Dr. Carl Sagan, a 28 year-old assistant professor of astronomy at Harvard University.

His audience consisted of several hundred members of the American Rocket Society, gathered for his luncheon address.

The equation was his way of expressing the mathematical probability that intelligent beings from outer space have visited earth.

Sagan soberly explained that in his equation N Stands for the number of advanced technical civilizations in the universe possessing the capability of interstellar communication.

R is the mean rate of star formation averaged over the lifetime of the galaxy.

FP is the fraction of stars with planetary systems.

NE is the mean number of planets in each system with environments favorable for the origin of life.

FL is the fraction of such planets on which life does develop.

FI is the fraction of such inhabited planets on which intelligent life with manipulative abilities rises during the lifetime of the local sun.

FC is the fraction of planets populated by intelligent beings on which advanced technical civilizations rises.

And L is the lifetime of this technical civilization.

Sagan said information in his formula is based on current estimates by astronomers. In making calculations, he assigned each symbol an arbitrary numerical value.

As expressed in numbers, Sagan said, the formula means that at least 1 million of the 100 billion stars in our Milky Way galaxy have planets which have developed civilizations capable of travel between the stars.

"Let's say that each of these civilizations sends out one interstellar expedition per year," he said.

"That means that every star, such as our sun, would be visited at least once every million years. In some systems where these beings found life, they would make more frequent visits. There's a strong probability, then, that they have visited earth every few thousand years.

"It is not out of the question that artifacts of these visits still exist or even that some kind of base is maintained, possibly automatically, within the solar system, to provide continuity for successive expeditions.

"Because of weathering and the possibility of detection and interference by the inhabitants of earth it would be preferable not to erect such a base on the earth's surface. The moon seems one reasonable alternative."

"Forthcoming photographic reconnaissance of the moon from space vehicles - particularly of the back - might bear these possibilities in mind."

At a news conference Sagan predicted man himself would be capable of interstellar flight at close to the speed of light "within a century or two."

Asked if he believed in flying saucers, he said: "I do believe there are objects which have hot be identified."

Link

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

snip

That's a bit much isn't it?

Disagree with him all you want but don't wish death on the man.

He's useless and not doing anything worthwhile that's benefitting even a single human..

Well I'm realy glad you're not in charge then.

I doubt you'd feel the same way if someone said that about you.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

karl, he also says theres no evidence we have been visted he says its possible. Also his ideas about the moon were more valid specualtion in 1962 we hadnt even seen the far side of the moon then. The message hes giving is we need to explore to find out. Also he was makiing the contrast of daily visitation by ufo believers to something more sensible.

to keep you up to date its 2010, weve mapped the moon sent probes and even men there. There is unfortunately still no evidence of alien bases. Its still valid to speculate there may be alien artifacts there for all we know a buried monoloth somewhere.

Today in 2010 its far more common for seti to speculate on alien artifacts out in ther kuiper belt, where theres all the resources to keep a self sustaining probe alive and hidden, it also gives them a nice view of the whole solar system. Theres no evidence of any probes out there but if we dont loook we will never find them even if they are there.

More work has been done on how often we might expect an alien probe to pass thru or visit our solar system. Some russian scientist said based on 50 civs in the galaxy the last visit by an ET probe would have been during the dinosaur era. Maybe we are due a visit soon. If we do get lucky im sure we will know all about it, it wont be anecdotal stories or fleeting lights in the sky. It will be a repeatable testable object in orbit around our sun. It will be science fact not science fiction.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Yeti, thanks for the rather predictable condescending reply - I just thought the article would bring some balance to your post and I did find this part interesting in which he speculates about timescales:

"That means that every star, such as our sun, would be visited at least once every million years. In some systems where these beings found life, they would make more frequent visits. There's a strong probability, then, that they have visited earth every few thousand years.

Stanton also makes some interesting comments about Sagan here:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

i added another paragraph to my post you might find interesting,

Sagan makes 2 collosal assumptions in that speculation. The first is that there 1 million tech civs in our galaxy which in 2010 not even the most optimistic seti employee would agree with. The second is that each of those million send out a probe once a year.

I think the russian guy i mentioned in my last post has a better guess at the numbers than sagan in 1962. But thats not surprising he has 40 more years of science & astronomy than sagan had.

also its dishonest for you to highlight the results of his speculation but you dont highlight where he clearly states its speculation. Like your trying to hide the fact its purely theoretical numbers hes giving as an example. You do it again in your post with the video you only quote that one small part as if thats what he thinks is really happening. Its not

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
also its dishonest for you tgo highlight the results of his speculation but you dont highlight where he clearly states its speculation. Like youir trying to hide the fact its purely theoretical numbers hes giving as an example. You do it again in your post with the video you only quote that one small part as if thats what he thinks is really happening. Its not

Yeti, your so full of it - why do you think I included the whole article?

If anyones got preconceived attitude here it's your good-self - perhaps that's why you've never addressed any of the interesting UFO cases or just choose to reply with emotion enflaming, evasive or cynical remarks.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

i think i did respond to your list of ufo cases in the thread about the sky at night program where they discussed ufos.

I will respond again if you would like to put one case to me. I only have time for one though so make it your best and you must be willing to answer any questions i have about it

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Hawking suffers from a disease related to ALS. It only affects the motor neurons of the body, so his cognitive faculties remain, but he is completely paralyzed. If you want to see what other people with this disease are capable of, listen to the music of Jason Becker. He has been suffering from ALS since 1989, been completely paralyzed since at least 1996 and yet has still managed to compose some of the greatest neo-classical music out there. In fact in the liner notes of his album Perspective he states

I have Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. It has crippled my body and speech, but not my mind.

While this is slightly off-topic it does show that Hawking's disorder is limited strictly to his motor function and not his ability to think.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

reply to post by yeti101

This guy (Stephen) p....s me off! Just who the hell does he think he is? He is a wheelchair-bound cripple who's given too much air time to spew his b.s. I can't stand him! Who cares what he says about anything? He hasn't experienced the real world, OUT HERE, so how does he think that whatever he spews is worth reading? "...almost certain to exist.." is the same as I don't know! A real scientific comment! This guy a leading scientist? In what? "Hawkin's logic on aliens..." is non-existent! He is just another poor-man's Drake, coming up with meaningless equations.

The only warning he should is to his caretakers when he has diarrhea!

Congratulations! The 2010 award for most idiotic post goes to ^ this #inset expletive here#.

You might not be able to wait to read his obituary. Personally, I can't wait till they invent time travel. The thought of someone taking a trip back in time & by means of the 'morning after pill', saving the world from an 'oxygen thief' formerly known as 'The Shrike'.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by karl 12

i think i did respond to your list of ufo cases in the thread about the sky at night program where they discussed ufos.

oh really....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
haha it's going to be fun how many scientific followers who NEVER question contemporary science will go along with this.

Yeah so Mr Hawking..explain to the many hundreds of thousands of people myself included of encounters with these beings and craft.

What also makes him believe the visits would be malevolent?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
What also makes him believe the visits would be malevolent?

what you mean? its a scientific fact.... predators are always smarter than prey.....

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join