It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ancient Astronaut Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The ancient Astronaut theory is my most favorite topic and i have started this thread to discuss the matter with like minded people here on ATS.
I have always been intrigued by this concept and am sure there is more to the huge gap in our evolutionary and social history then our history books have concluded.
The technology needed to create much of what we perceive as early man greatest acheivements may in fact be that of a man that was much more evolved then what is our modern man could imagine.

the pryamids and how they are a global phenom?
the nazca lines are they runways or markers?
the precise clearance of many prehistoric building blocks global also?
the fact that many civilizations seem to share a common creation and visitation story?
the pictures on the wall or "writing" as the famous phrase implies can we deny the very words of the myan and egyptian people?
the incredible astronomy they performed as well as knowing of info not thought to be discovered for thousand of years after. how could ancient man possibly know how many planets there were?

these are just a few common jump offs on the ancient astronaut theory please if you have more that are less mainstream contribute and let the collective on ats contribute maybe an open mind is all that is needed.

I will add ideas as the thread grows this is only the beginning.....

Be Well

[edit on 22-4-2010 by triplescorpio]

[edit on 22-4-2010 by triplescorpio]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

One of the most puzzling aspects of our history is how did we start with so much knowledge and slowly lose it through the millenium? Ancient Egypt started off building very intricate structures and monuments at first, and then went down hill as they "progressed". The Romans were less advanced than the ancient Egyptians, but they were miles ahead of the Dark Ages of Europe. How did we start with so much and go backwards?

Why did the ancient Americans have wheels on toys but not wheels for use? They also did not improve on their knowledge either.

Did our ancestors have contact with extraterrestrials who tried to jump start our planet after a cataclysm from a comet 12,000 or so years ago?

There is much to learn about our ancient ancestors, but we should not rule out the possibility of contact with extraterrestrials.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Its as though evolution equals amnsia.

I am so convinced there is a huge period where technology flurished well beyond what we have discovered we limit our willing ness to see this because our society is one of waste we figure well there no plastics that dont biodegrate there no nuclear waste facilitys so they must have been below us.
What if they had a power source what if there products didnt destroy the envirement what if we are the cave men and they are the real advanced humans

its so cool to even contemplate 5000 years ago let alone further .

talk about missing time ??

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

This reminds me of the film "Knowing" - with Nicolas Cage. Basically, its a wierd thought, but maybe ETs check up on us through the ages, always watching. Until the time comes of extinction, they pick the selected people to re-evolutionize population after the massacre.

Anything can happen, its not personally what i think, but it could happen. If so, i hope im picked

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
While I find a significant amount of the opinion this topic to be frustrating - I actually find the concept fascinating.

I won't dismiss it. There are some facets of human stories which are found in enough places as to hint that there is some grain of truth in them.

edit to add: Good God that movie is wretchedly bad.

[edit on 2010/4/22 by Aeons]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hey! I thought this thread was, like, about "Old NASA Guys".

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
One thing that I thought of recently while watching the Ancient Alien programs on the history channel, are how the megalith structures are still standing today. They were all built with stone.

Biological Structures.

If you consider stone, biological...

Tiahuanuco Tiwanaku - a great ancient wonder of Bolivia

This place is really cool in Bolivia! This was one of the first links on google, so excuse me if the article is lacking any substantial information.

But in the Ancient Alien program they talked about how this location must have used highly advanced tools, because you could see perfect holes for screws and such.

Also some of the stone, used for building at that site, can only be cut with diamond, so they must of been using diamond tipped tools! I found this all too fascinating.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

the pryamids and how they are a global phenom?

That is just an easier way of building something huge, a large square building would be much more impressive. See when building a pyramid everytime you go up one tier there is less to haul up hill. So as time goes on it is easier. Why are they global? why not? Every civilization has built square and circular structures too.

the nazca lines are they runways or markers?

Neither they are art. Let me get this straight, a space ship can fly across the galaxy and when they hit south america they need nonsensical markers and a huge runway?

the precise clearance of many prehistoric building blocks global also?

what???

the fact that many civilizations seem to share a common creation and visitation story?

Only the ones you choose to read about. Every earth creation would be the same. Name one creation story that did not involve the earth and people being created. that is why they are called creation stories. What is a visitation story? Every god came here and visted man from somewhere else.

the pictures on the wall or "writing" as the famous phrase implies can we deny the very words of the myan and egyptian people?

The egypt conference is in oakland tomorrow, please let me know what you think the egyptians are talking about before i have to get to the airport.

the incredible astronomy they performed as well as knowing of info not thought to be discovered for thousand of years after. how could ancient man possibly know how many planets there were?

They didn't bad translations and interpitations. Please show me where the ancients talked about pluto and neptune

edit to add:
Im not "against" the ancient astronaut theory but the arguments for it are so horribly bad it makes it hard for people to side with them. It would be like saying "The sky is blue because aliens made it blue, see its blue you cant proove me wrong"

[edit on 22-4-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I believe there are a lot of possibilities as well. There is much that does not make sense, or add up.
The biggest problem I see, is that it is so hard to see through all the bunk of the professional paranormal researchers.

Statements about how this could not have been done without "anti-gravity", or that would have had to been done with a laser, etc, are just not accurate, and not helpful. I think much of what was shown on the Ancient Astronauts program, for example, can be explained by human intelligence and creativity.

But, what always gets me thinking, is the "why" of it. Why did humans feel it was needed to create such huge images in the middle of nowhere? Why did humans feel it was needed to create such enormous, everlasting structures? Why such an obsession with the skies, and visitors? Where did all the ideas come from?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Very good point its true, we seem to have started out with more knowledge and lost it. It.s takepn way too long to catch up.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by UruFist

i mostly agree with what you said but those puma punku stones are cut amazingly.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

One of the most puzzling aspects of our history is how did we start with so much knowledge and slowly lose it through the millenium?

What knowledge?

Ancient Egypt started off building very intricate structures and monuments at first, and then went down hill as they "progressed".

How so? What structures what monuments?

The Romans were less advanced than the ancient Egyptians, but they were miles ahead of the Dark Ages of Europe.

How were the egyptians more advanced?
the darkages were a step back hence why they were called the dark ages.

Why did the ancient Americans have wheels on toys but not wheels for use? They also did not improve on their knowledge either.

What ancient americans? They did not improve because they were wiped out.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by UruFist
But, what always gets me thinking, is the "why" of it. Why did humans feel it was needed to create such huge images in the middle of nowhere? Why did humans feel it was needed to create such enormous, everlasting structures? Why such an obsession with the skies, and visitors? Where did all the ideas come from?

Well, some of it has to do with the basic drive of humans to reorder their environment to suit them. It's something the Neanderthals and their kind never did too well. A big part of it has to do with ego. When you're the ruler of a huge number of people, it goes to your head. You want everybody to know how great you are/were, so you build monuments that will outlast you. The best way to to that is with huge blocks of stone. Economically, if you're a smart ruler, it's also a good idea to keep people organized busy with public works so if you need an army to fight an invader, you've got one handy. Also, so they don't get together and kill you the first time the crops fail.

As for ideas about supernatural alien gods, it arises basically out of ignorance. The ancient people saw themselves in a kind of brutal, chaotic world, and wondered to themselves (as we still do), why it has to be this way. Not having an answer, "gods" were there to fill in the blanks. And in an attempt to honor and appease these gods, they maybe thought it might be a good idea to build huge structures to honor them.

They were smart. As smart as us, with a few Einstein-level geniuses thrown in the mix occasionally, too. They were well-organized. And as long as the crops were good, they had hundreds of years of spare time on their hands. They were probably busy doing other cool things too, but the big stone buildings are what remain.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
As far as the Nazca lines go I've thought about it and came up with a 'could be' theory. Maybe the people used the large flat and mountainous ranges not covered with trees to construct those figures to lure the gods or extraplanetary visitors to them. It seems to me that those people may have seen comets or meteors/rites and decided IF there is intelligence in space they might attract it to them, for whatever purpose. The figures they made could be images of themselves and the other inhabitants of their land and they were kind of saying 'hey if you're up there, check us out, this is what's down here'. Seems a little more plausible then a landing strip for ufo's. But who knows. They may just be an ancient society's mark on earth. To not be forgotten. If it was for aliens though, that would be much more exciting!

[edit on 22-4-2010 by IllMannered]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The NAZCA line animals are NOT as huge as people make them out to be. Many are small enough that two could be placed side by side on a standard football field.

They have always fascinated me though. These people were desert people. What did they know about monkeys, Humming Birds etc? Now unless they are older than they are made out to be and that area went through an environmental change. How did they know? And why is that every time somebody tries to attach a astronomical star chart to their meanings that it always gets poo pooed on? Who knows which stars [if they were] mattered to them?

I know I'm a little off topic.

On topic.

Many people will never believe unless we find a Saucer buried some place or a real complete body of one under the right paw of the sphinx for example ETC.

I'm a believer

[edit on 22-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That's an excellent point actually. If you read anthropology professor Michael Taussig he details how the Amazonian cultures would interact with the Andean cultures -- but there was a "wild man" separation:

www.press.uchicago.edu...

The shamans of the Amazon used ayahuasca for flying -- and this, indeed, is one explanation for Nazca -- that it was astral flying. So if the Andeans are making Amazonian animals that means they most likely made contact with ayahuasca as well.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

I see what you are saying, and for the most part, it makes perfect sense.

I guess my point is, that I can't see humans, even ancient humans, doing things that took up so much time and energy, unless they were actually getting something out of it.

Sure, monuments to gods, and kings, etc, were probably created. And, fear as a slave would probably be a decent factor in deciding to go along with it. But, when we are talking about such epic undertakings as the worldwide spread of immense pyramids, or structures like puma punku, it seems like there had to be some "real" for the people to grab onto. To try for.

I don't think I am explaining myself correctly here.

Devotion to a human, portraying himself as a "God", or devotion to "Sky Gods" that don't exist, or simply fear of a powerful king, eventually would all lose their "bite", so to speak. Eventually, belief would be shaken, fear loses it's edge, crops aren't growing... eventually, these reasons for doing incredible things, would fizzle out.

The "God King" gets old and actually dies! The Sky Gods don't show up, and the neighboring tribes/kingdoms are kicking the crap out of your tribe/kingdom, or there is a drought, or flood, etc. Eventually, the reasons to complete these tasks would fade.

So, there had to be some "real" reasons for these things. An actual use, or need. Otherwise, multiples of these structures would not have been created either.

For example, if pyramid A was built, maybe to fly, bring a king back to life, or create a power source, but it didn't. I don't think a pyramid B would have been built.

So, what was the pay-off?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
So last night im thinking is the only reason we dont consider the egyption and myan people more advanced then us is that they didnt have the same energy source?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

The ancient Americans had the same amount of knowledge when they started out thousands of years ago and did not improve on it when they were wiped out. Why did they not improve on knowledge or technology?

The ancient Egyptians went from being a small neolithic community with the basic understandings of agriculture and all of a sudden had the mathematical knowledge to build The Great Pyramid and other monuments? Where is the evidence showing the gradual build up of knowledge?

The Romans built some interesting things, but they were not as technological advanced as the ancient Egyptians once were. The Dark Ages proves a point that we went backwards. Why did knowledge go backwards?

These are some of the many questions I have about the ancients. I am open to the idea there was a very ancient civilization on Earth thousands of years before the rise of what mainstream science calls modern history. I am also open to the idea that human kind was contacted by extraterrestrials. Do I have any proof? No smoking gun, but that is what I am looking for.

Part of the fun is looking for the answers and asking the questions. I do not know all the facts, and neither does mainstream archeology. That is why I will ask such questions. We may never find all the answers unless we invent a time machine.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

smurfin a!!

this is exactly how i feel i want to be able to discuss and ask questions in a positive thread not some me verse the world crapola thread where everyone needs to be right...

Be Well

<<   2  3  4 >>

join