It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Devil's Tramping Ground

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I have always been fascinated by this place in NC. Its a cleared out circle where nothing grows, no grass, no trees. Legend goes, if you put an item within the circle that it'll vanish over night. Some say the devil himself rises from the circle to put evil within the world. I hope you find this as interesting as I do.

deviljazz.tripod.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

The Devil's Tramping Ground is a barren circle in the forest in the Harper's Crossroad community near Bennett, North Carolina. It is the subject of some of North Carolina's oldest legends. For at least the last hundred years, nothing has grown within the 40 foot ring and the phenomenon is thus far unexplained. A United States Geological Survey team could uncover no scientific explanation for the lack of growth within the ring.[citation needed]

Stories about the ring are well known in local communities. These include the disappearance of objects left within the ring overnight, and strange events occurring to those brave enough to spend the night within its boundaries.

Legend says that this is the very place the devil himself can rise from the depths of fiery hell, and come to earth. It's at this place, the devil walks in circles on certain nights and brings his evil into this world.[citation needed]

John William Harden (1903-1985) of Greensboro, N.C., journalist, newspaper editor, author, advisor to North Carolina governors and textile executives, and founder of the state's first full-service public relations company had this to say of the 'Devil's Tramping Ground:'

The Devil's Tramping Ground, the Chatham natives say. And the story is that the Devil goes there to walk in circles as he thinks up new means of causing trouble for humanity.

There, sometimes during the dark of night, the Majesty of the Underworld of Evil silently tramps around that bare circle-- thinking, plotting, and planning against good, and in behalf of wrong.

So far as is known, no person has ever spent the night there to disprove this is what happens..." (Harden, 1949)

A scary, scary place. A barren circle in the middle of the forest. One of North Carolina's
oldest legends. For hundreds of years, nothing has grown in the eerie 40-ft spot. Locals claim that
things left in the ring at night are gone by dawn. Explanations of the strange place include Indian
folklore, Druid priests, extra-terrestrial visits and a bizzare Satanic tale. The story claims that the
Devil himself makes nightly walks here, keeping the ground sterile and charred as he plots
his evil plans. Changing very little since it was discovered long ago, even scientists from the
Department of Agriculture cannot explain the mysterious Devil's Tramping Ground.

And here is a website with loads of information about it and video clips within etc.

devilstrampingground.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Do we have any members here on ATS that have visited this place and can give a first hand testimony on what they think maybe going on there etc?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hi everybody...it's just lil' ol' me. Yes, I have been there...it's down in Chatham County, about an hour south of Raleigh, NC.

It has been heavily visited through the years, and yes, there are those that have spent the night there... kind of a rite of passage or bragging rights thing.

It is a cool place for a visit, but after a few hours there over night, its like camping anywhere... it is a shame too, so many have trashed the place.

I guess it is creepy at first, but again, after awhile, it wears off.... sorry to dissappoint you.

A really cool place to visit elsewhere in NC is the Brown Mountain Lights in the mountains or the Maco Light down toward Wilmington. Good Hunting...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I wouldn't touch it...

Rev---

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I'm in Virginia and I had a friend years ago who used to talk about this place although I think he called it "the devil's circle". He told me a friend of his slept there overnight and had some of the worst, most *snip* up nightmares he's ever had.

It's a second-hand story but thought I'd throw it out there for the sake of thread.

please don't circumvent the censors.
Thanks

[edit on 21-4-2010 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Anybody think it could be just Reptilians in the area?:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Sounds pretty neat. If I were in the area I'd totally stay there overnight. Chances are I'd be disappointed because nothing would happen. If I did see the devil, though, chances are I'd say "Sssssssssup?"

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
If I did see the devil, though, chances are I'd say "Sssssssssup?"

The devil is a human made concept. There is no devil.
You might see a Reptilian or some other Cryptozoological beast there though.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

I doubt that it's reptillians...in NC, we don't allow reptillians without permission and documentation from the Attorney General Roy Cooper.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I might stop by for novelty.

I am curious enough to ask a open question. Who has, or knows someone who has, performed a sex act inside this tramping ground? I imagine it would probably be your closest bet, if not through sacrifice, to promote contact by any paranormal entity, if the paranormal is to blame for this phenomena.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
great story. id visit that place just to see what would happen

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551

Bwuh?

Might as well say that reptilians are a human made concept too. I don't believe in the devil existing and I don't know if reptilian beings exist either. I was jus' sayin'.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551

Because Whineflu's comments are so much more farfetched than "Reptilian or some other Cryptozoological beast" walking around in the United States? I'm not saying I don't believe in extra-terrestial possibilites or in the chance there are unexplaned creatures still yet to be discovered. We find those every day.

You are acting like the pot calling the kettle black here though.

This reminds me of the new-ish Dr. Pepper ad campaign with all the "Make Believe" creatures together. Easter Bunny, Santa, Alien guy etc. laughing at Diet Doctor Pepper.

If Satan is just "made up," for all you know you could be the proponent of one made up story laughing at another.

-Sliadon

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

Ahh man, I guess WhineFlu beat me to making my point here =p

Heh heh

-Sliadon

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
sounds like a place to visit. shame im in the uk

here's my story of what happened to me at a local haunted spot with the devil being part of its folk lore

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
it would be great however if someone local to that area where to go with some video cameras. set up some objects inside the circle or set up a motion hunt style camera and see if they could report anything.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenlance

oh great! promote conceiving the anti-christ

also, the circle looks like its filled with gravel?? which would hamper the growth of stuff.

secondly, doesnt anyone else see the green sprouts in the circle? somethings growing there, unless it green ectoplasmic goo from the devil

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I from Charlotte and we got two near by Devil's Stomping grounds. This one in the op and there is one in SC.

Lancaster County - Hwy521 - Devil's Stomping Ground - This area is kind of similar to a crop circle, as it is a circular area in a field in which there is no life, no plants grow in this circle and not so much as an ant or earthworm can be found within. The story is that it served as an execution site for the Waxaw and Catawba Indians. Evil Spirits were said to have frequented the site to collect the condemned souls of the executed. The consistent feature of this site is an overwhelming feeling of dread, despair and nausea to anyone who stands in the circle and takes a minute to clear their mind.

Here is the link.
www.scprai.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Lived here all my life.. within a few miles of it. That is 70 years!!!!!
It has always been there. Many have camped out there in hopes of seeing something. But if anything was there it would not likely come with some one there or would it?
As was said in an earlier post.. it has been trashed badly over the years. There is no one taking care of the place and and you wade thru weeds to get to it. In the center there is a hole that has been used to make camp fires.
Over the years, there have been a few people who said they have heard strange noises and voices whispering during the night. Enough to give them a scare. Some reported strange lights seen.
I don't know myself... never spent the night there. Maybe its time I did. Think I get up some family members and head out that way!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
My guess is that nothng grows there because so many people go there and camp, and that they have roughed up the area so nothing grows, and anything left over night is pinched the by locals, as they know that people will attempt it out of curiosity.

Try leaving a lump of cow pat, see if that goes!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join