It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 83
<< 80  81  82    84  85  86 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

You're welcome my dear, glad to have been of service

And I don't know about the wall on Poro Cam, I will have to check it out but I don't think it is doing anything.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Assessment - 23 June 2010 09:15
Very little activity is at Eyjafjallajökull volcano. Small ash clouds are seen occasionally, they disappear again in some minutes. Water accumulation in the crater is slow as the ice is no longer in contact with hot material.

GPS measurements show slight movements towards the mountain except at Austmannsbunga in Mýrdalsjökull, which shows movement towards southwest. No obvious explanation has been found for this movement.

Status reports from the Icelandic Meteorological Office and the Institute of Earth Sciences will no more be sent on regular basis, but only if something notable is observed.

Ice tunnel in Gígjökull - 23 June 2010 Inspection of a photo from Gígjökull since 11 June shows an ice tunnel above the main canyon in the palagonite, which has been deepened and enlarged by the glacial bursts on April 14-15. Another canyon has formed to the west.

A quick and rough interpretation of the pictures suggests that the head of the sedimentary fan (upper part starting at the foot of both canyons) is presently at an elevation close to 340 m a.s.l., which is roughly 50 meters more than the elevation of the lake before the eruption (according to Digital Terrain Model, DTM, from ISOR).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f48aee6bab8c.jpg[/atsimg]
Gígjökull 11 June 2010: an ice tunnel can be seen above the main canyon in the palagonite. Another canyon has formed to the west. Photo: Emmanuel Pierre Pagneux.

en.vedur.is...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Good find, i was not that far today. i hope that i can find something by myself. Maybe i have to look at some old pics of this thread!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Excellent find that. It is amazing to think that the land in front of the outfall area has risen by 50 metres during the course of the eruption.

That is a HUGE pile of material that has been deposited and is something like 5 times the height of my house (bungalow).

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Any news on how Katlas doing?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by superdebz

Katla is sleeping now, everything is quit around her. look here:

hraun.vedur.is...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
hekla aint sleeping...:-)

www.simnet.is...

some nice red spikes...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

Katla's Seasonal Activity

I am glad she is 'sleeping' but just please everyone be aware that from July to October is the season where there is more seismic activity on Katla.

There will be more activity July/August in the caldera area and this will move towards the Godabunga area as we get closer to October.

This is a seasonal variation caused by ice melt and is not anything to get alarmed about, although I know some will!

I would give you the reference for this information but with around 200 learned papers I have got most with incomprehensible names like 'epsl_269_387-397.pdf' you will appreciate that it is going to take me quite some time to find it. I will let you know when I do as I continue going through these and cataloguing them.

[edit: Interesting - the facility to make smaller text (-1, -2) does not seem to work]

[edit on 28/6/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
hekla aint sleeping...:-)

www.simnet.is...

some nice red spikes...

Thanks for the link. Very useful.

Please bear in mind that this instrument will pick up from other areas. Tindfjallajokull and Torfajokull have both had seismic activity, and it is of course still on going at Eyjafjoll.

Hekla is generally aseismic when it is sleeping, so basically what this says is if she is not sleeping she is erupting and you won't get any warning. The last eruption gave about 30 minutes warning.

What you may see however is greatly increased activity at Torfajokull as I understand there is some connection between the two. You also may see increased activity at Vatnafjoll (by Hekla - do not confuse with Vatnajokull the home of Grimsvotn, Bardabunga, Esjufjoll et al)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

hmm the red spikes on hekla were not related in time with other tremors on other places...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

May have been the wind or wind driven rain - or - The dreaded Melting Ice theory. :-)

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I'm stoked to see them refering to the arch halfway down the Glacier as "Helen's Arch" on the Eruptions blog - that's me
I used to monitor it for collapse and the name stuck

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Well done!

Where is the article?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Oh it's only in the comments

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

OH! I didn't read the comments

On a different note....
I am trying to figure out what the white things are in the front field at Hvolsvelli

eldgos.mila.is...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I'm not sure of the harvesting calendar of Iceland but they look to me like rolled hay bales covered in plastic. They use that method a lot here, too, where it can be damp late summer.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Can someone check out the poro' cam for a second opinion, looks to me to be shaking alot and after checking this it could be seismic.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

While there does appear to be something going on accoring to the charts, I thing what we are seeing on the cam is strong wind - I think and say this because the clouds are moving very quickly.

Edit: I have also checked the Katla Cam and yes, it is the wind. You can see on the lens there water droplets moving across being blown by wind.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Thanks, at first it reminded me of the video where the occupants of a car stop and watch the dust clouds rise as a mountain range begins to 'shake'. I know its not so dusty in Iceland but after i looked at the charts i thought .....erm whats going on here, lol.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Check out this thread ya'll

UFO on live webcam !!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 80  81  82    84  85  86 >>

join