It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the youth?!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

you know, i do enjoy my work. have u ever bottle fed a 2 day old calf? its fun and your keeping a child alive in a sense. its great and you come to think of it as your own kid. or shearing sheep with friends. ya its easy, but it also reaps a paycheck, and the time spent with family and friends (like spraying them with a hose and covering them with suds
) branding, a time in the spring when (please PETA, forgive me of this) you put your mark on the calf (you burn it sorry), and bond with family and mess around with friends hahahaha. . . riding in the Badlands of North Dakota, probably the most beautiful thing ever. . . maybe it's the rural lifestyle of North Dakota, but the breed of child you guys must be conversing is rare here, and not the norm.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Just look at our society.

We no longer have to go out to socialize. Everyone is a keypad away from each other.

So because of this, people don't motivate themselves to go out anymore. People don't need as much money to hang out, when they talk on msn all night.

The internet, cell phones, and video game consoles are all that matter in the world. Imagine if facebook died today? Or twitter.

So between the internet, cell phones, television, video games,ipod, and whatever other technology we have that connects us. Why would a teenager even bother to get a job? It's more fun to text!

Technology rules our lives. Technology has made us lazy.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Delivery drivers are always needed at pizza places, and Gas stations have an extremely high turnover rate, and they'll hire anyone over 18, (hence the turnover because pathetics try to work there, and quit after a day).

Great way to get your kid shot though.

I've done pizza delivery. Robbery is a definite concern in that job. My friend got jumped by 6 guys, and robbed.

Also gas stations are the #1 place that gets hit.

Also the crack heads that knock over gas stations for a few $$$ to get another fix, they will shoot anyone they are so doped up.

Sorry, I'd rather just have my kid build me a shed in the backyard. It's work.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre

you know, i do enjoy my work. have u ever bottle fed a 2 day old calf?

Star for you my man.
You are close to discovering
the real secret of the universe.
This day and age some beleive that
a curse is a curse and a blessing a blessing.
But curses can also be blessings and vice versa.
Take the oldest known curse. "You will work hard
all the days of your life." Well, what about people who
don't work. I ask you, are they really alive? Work is life.

David Grouchy

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
What's wrong with the youth? Nothing. Its the environment and society that shapes the people that inhabit it. Of course everyone can play the blame game, "Oh, this generation! Oh, that generation!". In reality, it's every generations fault for simply inhabiting earth. Unfourtunatley, the people fueled by power and greed pretty much shape the environment we live in. Some kids are lazy, yes.

Being categorized as a youth myself, I can tell you that a lot of my peers are deadbeats. But it's not entirely their fault. Public schooling sucks, jobs these days suck, so, what is there to work for? A new car, new clothes, a nice house? Go to college, rack up huge debt through loans? Do these things lead to happiness? Is it your fault if you go to college, get a masters degree, become a teacher, then get laid off because your district and state is broke?

Society and our environment are collapsing. It is evident wherever you go. Take a look around, look at the news. I'm sure everyone on ATS does and see's this. Its like being locked in an oven with the heat cranked to 450 degrees looking through the window and seeing the rich sip champagne and eat gourmet meals, while your forced to toil in the oven cooking for them.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Life today is far more frightening and seemingly hopeless than we could have ever imagined it could be. I was shocked senseless when I was 17 by a violent horror movie that today would be practically a kids cartoon. Shock and trauma are everyday and violence in the media is still beyond traumatizing. Combine that with the decline of a moral and spiritual foundation and you have a very unconscionable situation. Combine that with the access to reality via ATS and the like and what do you get? The bottom line is the kids are in a state of shock and depression. For some kids that means the response is to act tuff which only makes it worse. Combine that with violence in many homes and now poverty will breed more violence.

You might want to check your attitude. Your reaction is selfish and self centered, me, me, me. Did it occur to you that rather and take it personally, you might have compassion and sympathy for the kid and wonder what you could do to help? Not trying to hurt your feelings but "what's wrong with them" is a pretty standard self-centered response.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm 20 years young, I'm fully motivated and seen the world as being full of potential. I'm currently enrolled at a university studying to receive concurrent degrees, with hopes of doing the same in graduate school. I work two part-time jobs and 'am actively looking for a third (so I can support my son). I come from nothing and had to work my way into full academic scholarships. That is just some of my experience maybe it can help you out with your questions, but I also believe it comes down to the parents, environment, and their personal choices which of-course is interlaced with the other two. Very Circular

Just my two credit swipes.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm a 'youth' and I would consider myself somewhat lazy. However if I'm motivated I can outwork almost anyone and I have more physical endurance than probably 99% of people my age.
If I had to give my generation a name I would call it LOF (loss of faith). That isn't strictly religious faith either. Everyone is losing faith in all systems, institutions, beliefs, etc. A lot of people my age just don't believe in anything because they learn they are lied to a lot, and in fact a lot of people my age are 'conspiracy theorists'. Because they don't believe in anything they say "whats the point of trying?"
I know it sounds defeatist but it is true of the LOF generation's mindset. Why try if you don't believe you will succeed or that you will have a reward in the future? Religion made it work because everyone believed that god would reward them if humans didn't. A few decades ago many atheists and religious people believed that if they were honest and worked hard they would be rich and happy later but now that dream is gone. So without belief in god or humans no one tries anymore.
And our collective LOF is confirmed to make more sense than having faith everyday. Things like the vatican scandal and the exposure of massive fraud in financial systems and lies put out by the government, military, and the media entrench the LOF generation everyday in our viewpoints.
Positives and negatives come out of this, but unless the system changes worldwide it will only get more negative.

The possible positives are a desire to seek the truth and produce a better governing system for everyone. I think it will be very difficult to control this generation, unfortunately most people are still ignorant and some are just downright stupid, so it won't be an educated revolution. It will most likely be a mix of intelligent people trying to peacefully change things and violent idiots rioting senselessly. Hopefully something good will come out of it.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I once had a kid try to stab me in catholic school - parents put me in - Supposedly i was good lookin and attracted girls and some little scumbag didn't like it and got me after school with a pointless conversation i did not understand

some teacher saw us talking - she approached and began talking to the kid - She probably knew what a scumbag trouble maker he was

Anyway i let him and the old teacher talk - i told myself "Wth?" and walked away since i did not for my life understand anything that was going on

I later found out he had a knife and got expelled - Wow some kid wanted to stab me for no reason other than he was a scumbag and didn't like me based on my looks...How truly pathetic

Parents need to learn how to raise their little offspring or not have kids at all...Seriously

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Kingdom of darkness]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
They are that way because the people around them enable them!!

Don't want to get a car and a D/L, fine, walk everywhere or ride a bike. I'm not going to drive you to your friends house a half mile away so you can play video games. I actually had a neighbors Son ask me to do that. He was shocked that I laughed at him.

Don't want to get a job, fine. Just don't expect me to shell out money for you to go to the movies with your date or buy you a Cd or a video game.

If you coddle them, they will let themselves be coddled.

My now 12 year old Son had earned and saved more money at 10 than a friend's 19 year old ever had, how messed up is that?

[edit on 11-4-2010 by pavil]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Every generation is influenced by prior generations on how they view things. Each generations view varies as a society. It not problem for the youth. They can just see what the changes needs to be and are not happy with being brought into a world that they have no control over, yet. Rebellion is the term most people would use for the behavior of someone who doesn't agree with rules already set in place by people they usually don't even know. But it does seem that the further we get from the original rules set forth, the more society seems to be decaying in on itself. Interesting thread. S&F.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
Every generation is influenced by prior generations on how they view things. Each generations view varies as a society. It not problem for the youth. They can just see what the changes needs to be and are not happy with being brought into a world that they have no control over, yet.

who
do you think
invented the interwebs
and insisted they be open to all.
But you come in here, spam up the
place with pr0n, and bully each other into
commiting suicide. I'm sorry what were you saying?

David Grouchy

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

Originally posted by Conclusion
Every generation is influenced by prior generations on how they view things. Each generations view varies as a society. It not problem for the youth. They can just see what the changes needs to be and are not happy with being brought into a world that they have no control over, yet.

who
do you think
invented the interwebs
and insisted they be open to all.
But you come in here, spam up the
place with pr0n, and bully each other into
commiting suicide. I'm sorry what were you saying?

David Grouchy

Uhhhhh......What! I am sorry I do not understand what you are talking about. Please explain further.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
There is no one answer to the OP's question, rather there is a long list of things that caused the evolution we see today.

The Parenting Scenario is much to blame, especially since our governments disempowered parents because of bleeding-heart minority pressure groups. Thus a parent does not have the right to do what at times must be done, and, seeing how the other side of this eqaution is that the kids are informed of their legal rights they can use that against their parents.

Today's generation of young people come from two previous generations that were in the line of fire for the above scenario. Many of these parents wanted to give their kids everything they never had themselves.. which leads us to the next part of the problem.

The Instant Gratification Scenario. We gave to our kids without asking anything in return. We did this so they would not "go without", as we did. A large part of what we gave them is video games and these games provided the evolution of the Instant Gratification Problem we see today. You do this you get that reward.. immediately.

This attitude now prevails in all things our kids do. Hence why many will not work for small wages, despite wanting to own all the Things their own culture says they should have as a right.

Violence. Also a side effect of gaming with ever clearer depictions of violence. Each game came with more gore, more blood, and more ways to kill a simulated human being.

Our media also followed this same approach over the past 40 years so that now we can watch a family TV show giving us very real looking blood and guts effects to further De-sensitize us all to Violence so that we just accept it as a major part of our society.

Media has always been at fault by sending the wrong messages to our kids about violence and sex. Today we see in the popular media for teens and young adults that violence is the way to solve everything. And if you can't cause someone else immense pain then it is alright to do so in a gang of gutless wonders.

The Explicit Sex Scenario. This goes hand in hand with the Violence scenario. Today Sex is sold like hotcakes, the TV is full of it, movies are full of it, the kids media is filled with music about sex, and leaving nothing to the imagination. This does have impact on kids, who start to believe the hype that Girls are for Pleasuring Boys and Boys are to be like Soldiers.

Back to Parenting. The main problem today is that parents do not stand up, do not Love their Kids ENOUGH to go the hard yards with them.

Instead we cave-in to Pester Power, we cave-in to following their Peer Pressure Groups and allow them at ever younger ages to dress as adults, to have the same rights as adults, to speak and act as adults when they are only children, etc.

Any parent that does stand up today is shot down quickly by all those others who do nothing to help! Too many have taken to what I call Easy-Parenting, where the children rule the roost through their abnoxious behaviours, their pressuring parents to get what they want explicitly and for some as they get older through sheer physical abuse or torment.

Tough Love is needed now. Rules and Boundaries are what makes small children feel safe in their environment. So if you do not enforce the rules and boundaries to what is acceptable, the children will push until they can find a limit to their actions. It is why so many do not care about anything except themselves and getting what they want without having to work hard for it.

(/rant)

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
18 here.

Work ridiculous amounts of hours at a food place.

Very good grades without even trying (hard classes too).

Fit.

Social life.

Path ahead of my is very well lit so far.

I have had a mentality in my mind my entire life that if you are not first you are last...and I can not stand being a loser.

The amount of time I spend on electronics researching and listening to music is incredible.

It sure is a shame that we work our entire life to die and then can no longer rub all of our achievements in peoples faces

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I live in the UK but grew up in the United States. It is much worse here among the youth. I have never seen such a lazy drunken group of young adults in my life. So much worse than their American counterparts. They won't even try. They are the product of a welfare state and working hard to get ahead is only going to get them taxed to death. They have no idea that they are capable of doing anything on their own. They think they they need government to care for them. If this is what Obama is going to do to the United States I am heartbroken.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by togetherwestand
sigh.. i am a youth and yes i am lazy, don't have my license either. it was basically just bad decisions i made. i honestly don't know if Im lazy but in a sense i know i am..

background:

i stay up nights researching stuff, and sometimes i get into fights argung with people debating my side. i sometimes get obsessed with my interest

i want to workout but too lazy to get equipment which i have to check the stores..lol
but i exercise anyway, just been planing my weight training program..

its so far and honestly i am sick of walking and i have no money for the bus, the grand i made working and hadent used my parents took it all and well had to use it for bills but i did get a new computer, good for video and photo editing which i am a noob to.

i once walked for 4 hours straight from work at night ( got home at 4/5) from a party from work (it was like a party for everyone to get to know each other and have fun-amusement park) buses didnt work, dont have a car, plus i hate buses with a passion

and i had to walk after it rained..

that was the longest i ever walked and i was literally on a high pretty cool, but blistered feet. i vowed to never walk long distances again until i get a car lol

sigh

[edit on 11-4-2010 by togetherwestand]

[edit on 11-4-2010 by togetherwestand]

4.5 mile walk and had blisters. Take a good hard look this is who Obama is reaching out to because they are weak of mind and body. He is also reaching out to the older hippie's who long to recapture youth past. It is what it is and if the SHTF I feel sorry for you guys. You have had it all handed to you and it shows.

Politicians are like chicken hawks they pray on the weak of mind because they are easy targets. Whether it be a 18 year old lazy kid or a 30 year old searching for what they used to have it is all the same it makes for easy pickings.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I walk at least 4.5 miles everyday as well as 2 miles to and from work where I do 12 hour shifts on my feet kiddo. The trick is good shoes and a good stroller for the little ones.

In the UK gas is something like $9 a gallon and it is difficult and expensive to find parking so we sold the car, invested in good shoes and walk everywhere. We have never looked back.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Media, television, bad parenting don't help things. A good bit of society has been trained not to be responsible, after all, these days nothing is your fault. It's not your fault you're overweight, it's not your fault you've killed people. It's in your genes we are told. Kids are being placed on messed up drugs at younger ages. The education system just shoves kids through it, it isn't about education and real reading skills anymore, you need to sit there and be an obedient lump, or you'll get placed on Ritalin. You get a message to stay off drugs, but powerful mind altering drugs are given out like candy to students, pushed by some teachers and counselors.

These are some things that kids these days face. But, some kids can still come through the system in good shape, despite all the things that put resistance on them. One hint is not to become a target for Psychiatric drugging.

In short, some of the youth come out of the school system illiterate and to some degree crippled.

Troy

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamie
I walk at least 4.5 miles everyday as well as 2 miles to and from work where I do 12 hour shifts on my feet kiddo. The trick is good shoes and a good stroller for the little ones.

In the UK gas is something like $9 a gallon and it is difficult and expensive to find parking so we sold the car, invested in good shoes and walk everywhere. We have never looked back.

Actually your wrong the trick as you would say it is to not pat these kids on the back and say it is alright just try harder. Let them truly fail and watch how fast they learn and grow up. Shoes do not make a man fathers do and look around at the weak fathers.

This kid need to be cast to the wolves and they will sink or they will swim. Parents used to make kids work and expected good behavior and also spanked their kids this is a thing of the past and the progressives mindset is raising children today and look how they are turning out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join