It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the youth?!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Just a general question I guess, non-religious.

About a year ago I had a family gathering, and a topic brought about (about a family member who was absent) how the youth are so f***** lazy these days, the person who was missing had just turned 18 and still hadn't even tried to get a drivers license, but insisted on having others drive him around....

Now for me, I got my license as quick as I could!! I started working full time when I turned sixteen, illegally when I was 15

It's just odd, if anyone has seen the new Jamie Oliver show, you've seen that morbidly obese girl on it, who was told by her doctor she has 5-7 years to live, because she's so enormous, but she also says she tried exercising, dieting, and etc... but it didn't work, but he (Jamie Oliver) came around and now she's "motivated"......

WTF?? Your doctor says "hey, if you don't trim down, you're about to die!"

That's not motivation enough to make you say "Hey, maybe a jog would be good?"

It sounds like quibbles but everyone says that this generation is Generation E, for generation energy, environment, economics. and so on, but I call it Generation L, for LAZY!!!

I meet so many people on a day to day basis that feel inconvenienced by having to (Omg) get out of there car to get food, woah is me.

At my place of business, I get AT LEAST 2-4 parents a day asking (different parents) if we were hiring because their kids needed a job and they just turned 16-17-18-21 and I have to say to them, where the **** are they then???

There are jobs out there, especially for kids that age! Restaurants and things, and even when the kids come in, and I try to point them to a business that is hiring, no matter how easy the job is, they tell me that their just trying to make their parents happy, and they don't really want a job.....wth?

So much effort, so much wasted time, just to pretend?

To cut this short, I'm not an old guy, but is this how most the youth has been through the generations? Just lazy and then they get up and do something, otherwise I believe that this youth will all start to believe that Halo is based off a true story, and that 9/11 was about us being attacked by the planet Pandora.....

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

OK, I will try to solve this.

Youth has realised that there is nothing for them - no jobs, no nothing.

It is very hard for kids to even get a job.

So, kids are into everything online etc that removes them from their parents.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Flag for you also the boys seem more like girls. The are are as weak of mind as they are in body for the most part. Not all but many. Fathers are weak and let kids slide and mothers teach their boys how to men instead of the weak fathers.

They are lazy of mind and body and have no drive to accomplish anything. Thankfully if the shi*t does hit the fan they are screwed in the worst way possible.
I would take a 30 something having my back then a 20 something any day.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

OK, I will try to solve this.

Youth has realised that there is nothing for them - no jobs, no nothing.

It is very hard for kids to even get a job.

So, kids are into everything online etc that removes them from their parents.

That's not true, there are jobs for kids!

I can understand trying to escape their parents, but wouldn't working at a place where your friends are be better than at home?

Delivery drivers are always needed at pizza places, and Gas stations have an extremely high turnover rate, and they'll hire anyone over 18, (hence the turnover because pathetics try to work there, and quit after a day).

I'm fairly young, and just got my Convicted Felon status removed after the hell I went through, but I managed to have a full time job through the whole 2 year period! These kids have clean records, imagine being a convict looking for a job, but I could do it! What's so wrong with them, that being perfectly clean they somehow just can't get a job!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Flag for you also the boys seem more like girls. The are are as weak of mind as they are in body for the most part. Not all but many. Fathers are weak and let kids slide and mothers teach their boys how to men instead of the weak fathers.

They are lazy of mind and body and have no drive to accomplish anything. Thankfully if the shi*t does hit the fan they are screwed in the worst way possible.
I would take a 30 something having my back then a 20 something any day.

Pssh, I'd take a 50 year old man to cover me!

He's old doesn't care if he dies for a cause!

Knows how to handle a gun, and fix moonshine!

And probably has a whole **** load of ammunition!!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I think a lot of this stems from the parents themselves being "lazy". I work at a very large retail company....What I *hate* beyond belief, is when I see bigger folks.....riding the damn auomatic "wheelchairs" to cart them around because they are too big to walk...so they THINK.

I also see people who are quite huge walking just fine w/o the damn chairs!! Some people tho...think they are just TOO big, hence "lets just ride around the store in these carts cuz we are too LAZY." Those are the people who teach their kids the same principle.

I don't think this will last long. The "lazy" person will soon have to find themselves actually having to *walk* soon whether they like it or not.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
What's wrong with the kids?
Their parents.

No child was ever raised without the influence of those around them, that's what builds personality.
Find a lazy child and you'll likely find parents who never bothered to instil a work ethic.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Hi, Republican, how are you?

What can I say - I am proud of you for trying and doing that.

So, I will reiterate - since the internet and cell phones, teenagers have just given up - sad but true.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
I don't think this will last long. The "lazy" person will soon have to find themselves actually having to *walk* soon whether they like it or not.

I think you are wrong here....

Society will try to bend itself to meet the needs of the LAZY...

Thanks for emphasizing that with me

As for the big people, if I see a fat guy/gal jogging on the road, I think extremely highly of them, one for the courage, two for the drive and motivation. But I feel like flipping out when I hear a heavy set person saying their too embarrassed to jog in public so they won't!!!!

@DI

What's wrong with the kids? Their parents.

That's probably dead on, only a few I can think of, actually have parents that really tried to instill good work ethic in them.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Yeah I could probably back this up haha.

I think I fall under the category of "Generation L". I've been 16 for around 7 months now and I still haven't gotten my driver's licence (eligible as soon as you turn 16), haven't had a job in a while, and I got an assignment due on Wednesday that I haven't even started!

I just really cannot be bothered these days....

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Originally posted by Wookiep

I think you are wrong here....

Society will try to bend itself to meet the needs of the LAZY...

Sadly, I think you are totally right... if things continue the way they have been... *sigh*...

What I mean is...when they are put in a position where there is *no* choice! such as.....lets say total collapse in our current system?? Not to try and sound sadistic, but I PRAY FOR THAT!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

I have one thing to say to you - you are a brilliant person and you are working towards your future.

I am so pleased that you are doing that.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Let me tell you things from my point of view. (I'm a kid)

With all the advances in technology so far we kids pretty much have it made okay. That is not even the biggest problem.
The biggest problem is ADULTS babying us like we are toddlers that don't know anything. Do you guys actually think that anything that happens to you will be the same for us?
I mean just a few days ago my dad still thought I watched Pokemon. I grew out of Pokemon when I was about 5. You adults have to start treating us older or else there will be complete pandemonium.
Our society needs to stop babying children. Starting with the school system. The part that really grinds my gear is fighting. Students that actually don't cause the fight get in trouble for no reason. It is instead both people who are being bullied that are also in trouble. My friend had once been hit by another student, while the teacher was watching. The teacher sent them both to the principals office. Even though my friend didn't fight back he was also suspended along with the person who began the fight.
Instead of telling them how it was for you, try to reference it with something we ALREADY understand!

And to those who already do so... please regard everything I just said.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan_The_Maori

Hi Jordan,

I have a special message for you - believe in yourself and LEARN - it is important, bro.

And always believe in yourself.

This is Rosie in Wanganui.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
sigh.. i am a youth and yes i am lazy, don't have my license either. it was basically just bad decisions i made. i honestly don't know if Im lazy but in a sense i know i am..

background:

i stay up nights researching stuff, and sometimes i get into fights argung with people debating my side. i sometimes get obsessed with my interest

i want to workout but too lazy to get equipment which i have to check the stores..lol
but i exercise anyway, just been planing my weight training program..

its so far and honestly i am sick of walking and i have no money for the bus, the grand i made working and hadent used my parents took it all and well had to use it for bills but i did get a new computer, good for video and photo editing which i am a noob to.

i once walked for 4 hours straight from work at night ( got home at 4/5) from a party from work (it was like a party for everyone to get to know each other and have fun-amusement park) buses didnt work, dont have a car, plus i hate buses with a passion

and i had to walk after it rained..

that was the longest i ever walked and i was literally on a high pretty cool, but blistered feet. i vowed to never walk long distances again until i get a car lol

sigh

[edit on 11-4-2010 by togetherwestand]

[edit on 11-4-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

I think that laziness is a side effect of convenience. In your example, the person didn't want to get out of the car to get food because there are so many drive-thru's.

And I don't think it's only the younger generation. Perhaps they are more predisposed to it because that's all they've known.

I'll give you an example: I know a 34 year old who, up to about a month ago, lived in the garage at his parents place. The only reason he moved out was because his mum found share accommodation for him. He is currently unemployed waiting for the government (through job agencies) to find a job for him.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan_The_Maori

....haven't had a job in a while, and I got an assignment due on Wednesday that I haven't even started!

I just really cannot be bothered these days....

Don't worry about working right now.

Spend time enjoying yourself and learning.

Right now there are millions of people who could better use any job you managed to take - and they need it to eat and feed/shelter their families, not get some extra spending cash.

So by just continuing to be a kid and not taking a job, you are pretty much engaging in an act of Patriotism and Philanthropy.

Make us proud son.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Kia ora Rosie, im Jordan from Rotorua.
Good to meet another Kiwi on here.

Yeh I'm gonna try, I'll get it done within the next two days so its all good. Geography is just so BORING, but still, I'm gonna try and pass.

Thanks for the advice Rosie.

Haere rā.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan_The_Maori

Hi Jordan,

I am sending you a message because you are a great thinker.

Jordan, you have friends (me) and you are brilliant.

Don't worry about that school stuff - try and do it but if not, no problems.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I have been searching for an answer to this for some time now. I dislike how my generation is absorbed in being hot, popular, and having the coolest materialistic objects (cars, clothes, etc).

I think part of it is the conditioning we are growing up in. (I'm only 21, so I still like to think that I'm part of the youth movement, don"t like being older) For example, in the past, students would have to go to the library and pick up a book to do research. Now all that information is only a few clicks away.

I will say there are jobs out there too. One just has to look. I'm in college so I am not searching, but just to make a point to some family members who were jobless, I went out and found a $50,000 annual salary job two months ago. They were quite pissed off when I left after training, because I wasn't ultimately interested.

But yes, I think ultimately the answer is most people are lazy and expect things to be handed to them.

Edit*- I do say there are jobs out there, but to an extent, obviously the job numbers are pretty dire, so please don't take my statement wrong.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by higns07]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join