It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who else seems to go to the same place every night in their dreams?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I posted this in another thread I just found, and thought I'd start a thread of my own. Looking for people who may have recurring dreams of the same metropolitan area I go to almost every night in my dreams. This is beginning to sound like the "Looking for people who have been to the grey room" thread, but it's not.

For about a year, more or less (I haven't really kept track) I've been seemingly going into the same "dreamworld" in almost every dream that I can remember. What I mean by "the same "dreamworld"" is this: it's the same place everytime. It's a city. Just a city. Not some futuristic or otherworldly city, just a city. A metropolitan area that I seem to be familiar with in the dream. It reminds me (after waking) of an area near Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. Sometimes I'm outside trying to find a bus stop, other times I'm walking, trying to find my bearings so I might get to some location in the city. The area I seem to always find myslf near also has a freeway interchange of some sort. Other times it seems somehow apocalyptic. Sometimes I find myself in the basement of a building, trying to find a safe hiding place frome something. The basement is full of old junk and rubble , and there are passageways of some sort in the walls where I try to hide. Sometimes I'm in the same tobacco shop, over and over, wanting to smoke, but not havng any cigarettes (I smoke in waking life). The shop is full of forign cigarettes like DuMaurier's and the like.

Infrequently I can "float" around, but those around me in the dream don't seem to notice I'm trying to show them I can float, or maybe they don't care that I can.

It always seems to be dusk, or twighlight in the city when I'm there. Or not too long after sundown.

I should start a dream journal and try to figure out where exactly I am and what I'm doing there.

[edit on 4/8/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The thread I originally posted this in is

"Extremely Vivid Dreams... How about you?"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I have an area like that, it's not just you. There is a hospital I frequently visit there. I don't know why though.

This area seems to show up in many of my dream storylines, but the storylines usually involve being chased or running from something.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
I have an area like that, it's not just you. There is a hospital I frequently visit there. I don't know why though.

This area seems to show up in many of my dream storylines, but the storylines usually involve being chased or running from something.

I'm glad it's not just me. And just to clarify. It's not the same dream every night, over and over. It's the same place over and over. And I'm doing different things and am in different locations within this "same place". I've been trying to program myself before I go to sleep to remember or at least try to take more careful notice of landmarks, street signs etc., but to no avail.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

I'm glad it's not just me. And just to clarify. It's not the same dream every night, over and over. It's the same place over and over. And I'm doing different things and am in different locations within this "same place". I've been trying to program myself before I go to sleep to remember or at least try to take more careful notice of landmarks, street signs etc., but to no avail.

I'm going to attempt drawing my dreams now.
When I star down from the hospital there is like an unused parking lot by it, and if you turn right there is a small intersection. I think this city is somehow connected to this mountainous region by either a sea or a lake that I frequently visit.

Just discussing this reminds me that I had a dream of the lake/sea. When I go there the waves are always blowing, and there is always a few large ships. There is also a small dock, and a walking trail around it.

Maybe there is something like this for you too?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I used to have the same set of dreams myself: A mall, a supermarket, a convenience store, and one other place, but I cant remember it.

Then I put foil up over one set of windows (to block out the sun on the west side of the place so it wouldn't get to be like 10,000,000 degrees indoors)- Kind of the 'heat shield' idea NASA uses- I stole it
. Foil, blanket to insulate, and no more dreams. At all. Not even the hilarious weird ones as of late sprinkled in.

Now if that isn't just plain nuts.....

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Interesting. I've never heard of someone going to the same place in every dream but surely your subconscious is trying to tell you something.

If you want to experience new more exciting dreams, research and practice astral projection.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

I'm going to attempt drawing my dreams now.
When I star down from the hospital there is like an unused parking lot by it, and if you turn right there is a small intersection. I think this city is somehow connected to this mountainous region by either a sea or a lake that I frequently visit.

Just discussing this reminds me that I had a dream of the lake/sea. When I go there the waves are always blowing, and there is always a few large ships. There is also a small dock, and a walking trail around it.

Maybe there is something like this for you too?

No lake or dock or mountains. It's always the same metropolitan area. It reminds me of the campus area of Wayne Stae University in Detroit, but I'm not sure this is the actual area I find myself in. I just took a look on Google Earth of the main branch of the Detroit Public Library (the Cass Street side). It reminds me of the place in the dream. I sometimes find myself walking in a corridor in a building that reminds me of the library, or some campus type building. I walk up a short flight of stairs and exit the building and try to find a bus stop. I wind up walking around though, looking for something. There is a freeway interchange. There is however no freeway interchange in reality in the immediate area of the Detoit Public Library main branch.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yes, im glad im not the only one getting these dreams. I spoke to others about this and people think it has no meaning.

In these dreams i live in a city. Tokyo or some japanese city. I live there with my pets. I go to restaurants and flower nursery's. I go out with my brother to see bands play, pretty normal stuff. One time my pets went missing in this city and i met an Owl who told me where i could find them. I had these dreams for maybe 10 years or so. Always in the same city. I came to the conclusion that my ancestors were from there, like its in your dna or something, what else can it be?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I've been to a town a few times in my dreams.

No idea if it's a real place or not - but there's nothing unusual about it, feels like a kind of coastal holiday resort town, its got a railway, a beach and a grey ornamental fountain.

If i come here in my dreams, i get a feeling of familiarity.

Can't really remember much more to be honest.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I haven't lived in Detroit in 20 years, but when I did it was near Wayne State. I can't say with certainty if the "dreamworld" I find myself in almost every night is this area, but it sure does seem like it. And there are freeway interchanges in the area. The photos below look like it did in my dreams, only at night or dusk.

Rear of DPL main branch (facing Cass St.)

[edit on 4/8/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Glad you initiated this thread. I've been posting in dream threads for a few years now, recounting how I go to the same places and how much I 'miss' them sometimes when I'm awake (miss them as in 'homesickness'

It's been happening to me for years

My dream-place isn't the same as the one you describe though

I have 3 or 4 specific dream locations. They're always recognisable to me and all have that distinctive atmosphere

Most of all, it's the people in those dreams. They look 'normal' and they *are* normal, within that, their own environment. But they do things which are seemingly impossible to achieve within the seeming time-frame. And they encourage me to do likewise. But of course I'm much more slow and clumsy than they and find it hard to keep up with them. They find that amusing. Not 'ha ha' amusing, but the sort of amusement they share between each other with a lift of the eyebrow or little smiles. Sometimes they reappear unexpectedly and are just watching me as if I were a pet they'd taken under their wing. There are always more than one of them ... usually half a dozen or so

They seem to be trying to teach me things, although sometimes I get the impression they just use me for entertainment, which feels a bit cruel to the 'me' in the dreams

The atmosphere of those dreams is very distinctive. Often, when I awaken from the dream, I want to immediately go back there

I can remember the dreams as if they were something I'd really experienced in real-life. I can remember some I had fifteen or more years ago, as if they were 'real' memories. The locations are unknown to me in real-life, but I'm not convinced they don't actually exist

As to the locations --- I could draw them quite quickly, based on the number of times I've 'been there' in dreams

In the past year or two, I've been going to a new specific location, which is comprised of new, multi-level buildings used as residences, shops and offices. It's grown now to encompass the entire side of a hill. I have my own apartment there. I 'know' some of the people who live there. When I go back and comment on how big the place has grown, the ones I know tell me yes, and there are plans to extend the development 'over there', and they point to a wooded part of the hill. They're not happy about the extent of the planned extensions

In the dreams, I feel 'sort of' like the real-life 'me', but I don't look like the real-life me, based on reflections I've caught when passing glass doors or windows in the dreams. But when I'm in the dream, my reflection appears accurate

Now I've typed all that, I realise how crazy it will sound to those who haven't experienced the same type of dreams

(edited to add: S & F
Much needed thread topic )

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I frequently experience this issue with my dreams. For instance, there is a particular shopping mall that's only in my dreams and I recognize, during dream, that this is the mall in my dream and I know where the stores are. I remember thinking in my dream "wow, this is the place I've dreamed about...I'll go to this store, etc". Same thing with an amusement park...I even know what roads to take to get there...or never to go to a certain fast food resturant because the hamburgers are always cold...these are just a few places I go to in my dreams & I realize, while dreaming, that these places are in my dreams.

There is one particular location in some remote place that I believe someday I'll see in person...I'm always keeping an eye out for where it may be. These places are not like in my real life.
Some locations are very similar, for instance, to my real neighborhood or town, but are just a little different.

I think about this often, wondering if it's my brain creating something interesting & entertaining or if it's me in a different dimension.

Sometimes I have dream "flashbacks" where, out of nowhere, snapshots from dreams recent & far in the past will just pop into my mind. It's like looking through photos, but they enter my mind unbidden. It's kind of fun.

All I know for sure is that the brain, sleep and dreaming are wonderful & mysterious.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by ThinkItThrough]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

Now I've typed all that, I realise how crazy it will sound to those who haven't experienced the same type of dreams

I know. I haven't told anyone about these dreams. I was even reluctant to post about it on ATS.

I can't remember ever seeing my reflection in these dreams. And the people are normal. I don't interact with them, except to say that when I found I could "float" in a controlled manner, they didn't seem to take any notice of it.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

dock9 thank you for sharing... your dream recollections seem very fascinating to me. i too have recurring places in my dreams and sometimes it 's years before i visit there again. One of them i woke up feeling like "they want us to visit them again... they are waiting for us to come back" But your descriptions sound really unusual to me, like they are actually occurring on some level. I think my recurring places have more to do with me though. But sometimes the people in my dreams have that same look and actions like you said, like they are amused by me. i hate it. but yeah thanks for sharing, I am strengthened by your post somehow.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Ellie Sagan]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

If it matters at all...
I used to have the exact same nightmare, occurring relatively frequently for over a decade.
Exact same location, same details, same everything.
It was kind of traumatizing.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

have you ever been to these places? if so, when you visit them in your waking life, do they bring up feelings, thoughts, or anything? i wonder if your dream life is influenced by waking life. I know that when I am in some places, they feel very familiar to me even if i haven't visited them before. In my dreams there have been places that I know I haven't been to in real life but they seem so comfortable and familiar in my dreams.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

when I found I could "float" in a controlled manner, they didn't seem to take any notice of it.

Exactly. That's what it's like

They're not intentionally cruel, but it hurts your feelings a bit. Makes you feel 'backwards' sometimes, fleetingly. Usually it's just little expressions on their faces that do it, or they way they go ahead and seem to forget about you. But usually, you're so busy trying to keep up that you don't really do too much thinking

They're not always in my 'location' dreams though. One location is similar to the one posted by someone above ... with a train station, etc. and in that one, the 'dream people' aren't there -- I just go 'visit' that one, over and over, although sometimes the 'visits' can be a year apart (in real life)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
my dreams are different every night, but i do have a few places that i visit on a bi-monthly (or longer) schedule

they are somewhat like reference points, and when i dream about them: i instantly realize that "i have been here before" and when i bring the "I AM" state into the dream it plunges me into a lucid dream where i have no boundaries.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan

have you ever been to these places? if so, when you visit them in your waking life, do they bring up feelings, thoughts, or anything? i wonder if your dream life is influenced by waking life. I know that when I am in some places, they feel very familiar to me even if i haven't visited them before. In my dreams there have been places that I know I haven't been to in real life but they seem so comfortable and familiar in my dreams.

These places in my dreams only remind me of Detroit, in the Wayne State area, where I lived 20 years ago. But it's the going there in practically every dream that strikes me as odd. Always the same time of day, same general area. Always slightly disoriented, and trying to make my way somewhere, but unfamiliar with exactly where I am in the city, what city it is etc...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join