It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6-Year-Old Oregon Girl Commits Suicide, Medical Examiner Says

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
www.aolnews.com...

The death of a 6-year-old Oregon girl sent to her room after exchanging cross words with her mother has been classified as a suicide by a state medical examiner.

After her mother told her to go to her room, Samantha Kuberski, a first-grader in McMinnville, Ore., crawled into an unused crib, tied one end of a belt around her neck, the other on a bar of the crib, and hanged herself, according to reports.

The incident happened on Dec. 2, days shy of the girl's 7th birthday, making her the youngest person in Oregon history to have committed suicide.

Okay so now 6 year old kids are commiting suicide(possibly?). What in the world is going on!?

So let's wait until we hear a politician propose that we make stronger regulations against how parents punish their children. First they banned spanking, what's next? Sending them to their room? No desert? No after school activities? No yelling at them? No innapropriate facial expressions?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Shocking! I didn't really think it were possible to be suicidal at that age.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
There comes a time in your life where... you simply despair for this planet and it's people....
How the freak do we continue to justify our existence when we fail the most vulnerable members of our society again and again?
I cannot honestly conceive how a 6 yr old even has a visual concept- an inkling of an idea - that death is achieved? by that method, let alone putting it into motion...?
Where did it come from???

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Well, I doubt that we've heard the last of this bullsh*t . How does a 6-year old commit suicide ?!

Do kids this age even have the mental structure that it would take to formulate such a thought ?

Come on, I aint buying this crap . Somebody needs to be looking into mom's bullsh*t story a bit closer .

No way .

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I highly doubt this is intended suicide. All children are looking for at that age is attention... and this would have been an attempt for attention that went horribly wrong.

IRM

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
WOW.

As a mother of two kids about the same age as this girl,
this is disturbing to me. I cannot imagine what this family
must be going through. If one of my babies did that, I
believe I'd die of a broken heart.
I agree that some one should investigate more closely.
This is just unsettling.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
What a terribly sad piece of news first of all.
Secondly, I'm posting because some of you are asking the question do children that age know how to go about commiting suicide. Do they have the mental capacity, so to speak. The answer is yes, absolutely. Very sad and unfortunately true. I was that way when I was about 5 or so.
While I know that young children are capable of the act and it does far surpass looking for attention, I hope the investigation doesn't stop there and they actually delve deeper here. The family must be absolutely torn apart. I have children myself and I can't even begin to imagine losing one of mine.

~Tragic~

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Sad and tragic shocking and devasting to the family. A child of that age.

At seven the child had been exposed to TV and movies and who-knows what kind of music and video games. Consider the old timey game of "hangman" played with a pad and pencil. Consider just about any scene from "Grand Theft Auto" video game. Just consider that seven isn't too young to pickup behavioral clues that could prove fatal.

gj

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I don't believe it was suicide
something tells me it was murder
disguised as suicide

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This happened in Philadelphia once and it was a game the children had been playing and was ruled unintentional suicide. This may be what happened, but like another post said, probably for attention.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
disguised as suicide

I do agree with this. I have a crib from my now 2yr old daughter and I just don't see how the child could have done it and not stood up. Cribs aren't that tall compared to a (normal sized) 6 yr old. Although, maybe she was short for her age. Anyhow, the normal human instinct to live would have had her thrashing around to get a foot up. It would take A LOT of willpower for her to go through with it. I don't see the possibility of her neck being broken from it either (just as an after thought to how she didn't naturally try to save herself.) I just don't see there being enough of a fall or pressure to do that kind of damage. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first or the last time.

~Tragic~

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I agree with you...seems more likely that the child was upset and wanted to act out...not realizing the fatal consequences. Probably just wanted to make mom made for yelling at her.

It's a sad sad story...not something I wanted to end my day on

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I tried to kill myself at 7 years old.
That was 1961, so you could hardly blame it onto internet or computer games.
And my (right wing) parents spanked me regularly, so it was hardly the result of liberal lenient parenting.

I understood about death, and had given this considerable thought first. I believed that committing suicide would prevent me going to heaven, but could not handle staying in this world any longer.

I did my research, and discovered that taking 50 Disprin(TM) could kill a person. So I saved my pocket money, wrote a will, dressed in my best clothes and sat in the garden with a jug of cordial with 50 Disprin dissolved in it. However I forgot to take into account the fact I was a child. The dose was too high for a kid and made me vomit.

BTW, I don't recommend anyone try that. It's likely to make you very ill, haemorrhaging badly, and leave you handicapped but not dead.

I still wouldn't put it past the parents in the OP's article to have murdered the girl and be pretending she killed herself, but at least some kids that age certainly understand the concept of death and manage to kill themselves.

In retrospect, my reasons for killing myself were sound. It was neither a hasty nor an immature decision.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by wagtail
There comes a time in your life where... you simply despair for this planet and it's people....
How the freak do we continue to justify our existence when we fail the most vulnerable members of our society again and again?
I cannot honestly conceive how a 6 yr old even has a visual concept- an inkling of an idea - that death is achieved? by that method, let alone putting it into motion...?
Where did it come from???

You just took the words right out of my mouth, wtf ... How did she learn how to take her own life.. a young innocent child.. I can not believe it is true my mind just will not allow me.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
disguised as suicide

I am thinking this as well, there are so many sick assholes out there like the bitch who drowned her children in her car and said the car rolled in the lake or whatever body of water it was.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
It's possible, but highly unlikely a 6-year old child would intend to commit suicide. I believe it was an act designed to get sympathy from the mother. I remember having feelings of resentment and craving for sympathy after being told off by my mother when I was young.

"I'll show her, I'm make her wish she didn't tell me off! She won't scream at me again!"

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Murder alert.

A child that age does not kill themself on purpose.

That child was murdered, and God help those murderers.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
So are you saying this 7 yr old boy
7 yr old Florida boy commits suicide
This boy committed suicide because he was on psychiatric drugs. Who is to say this little girl wasn't on medications. You rarely get the whole story in a news article. Like one thing that is almost always excluded from child abuse cases is that the majority of these cases are from adoptive parents. Psychiatric drugs are know to cause suicidal tendencies in children as young as 3, so lets wait until we know the whole story.

Records sealed in suicide of 6 yr old
Definitely more to this story than we are being told.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by calstorm]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
It's possible, but highly unlikely a 6-year old child would intend to commit suicide. I believe it was an act designed to get sympathy from the mother. I remember having feelings of resentment and craving for sympathy after being told off by my mother when I was young.

"I'll show her, I'm make her wish she didn't tell me off! She won't scream at me again!"

Exactly! We all went through those emotions when we were young. The girl just wanted attention and love. Like I suggested in my earlier post, I believe this is exactly what happened. She probably wanted to go through the motions... blacked out and that was it... The attention ploy became fatal.

I don't agree with those suggesting darker motives from the parents. This is just a very sad accident.

IRM

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

I must agree. At 6, we have everything to live for, a gorgeous panorama even in the midst of squalor or abuse. I know, I have been there. I can't buy it either !

<<   2  3 >>

join