It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A lesson on Britian for AMERICANS

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I agree. While I love American football, it has way tooo many stops and commericals. One of the great appeals of English football/soccer is that there are no commericals for 45+ mins. So, the game is fast and never stops.

So, only Scousers from Liverpool like the Reds? That is kind of what I thought. Some reason I always see them as the evil team.

If Tony Blair is a cock, I would have to say George Bush is the balls or is hard headed. If you link Blair to a male chicken, I would have to link Bush Jr. to a Rhino or a Pachycephalosaurus. Haha, Google it.

What do you Brits think of Obama? Gential references aside. Good choice? Bad Choice? Will he ruin or save America?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills

Do most English people hate Liverpool FC? There is just something about them I don't like. I like Torres, but Gerrard, Carragher, and a few others I am not too fond of.

Nat most English people hate Manchester UTD.

What kind of fish is in your fish nd chips? Cod? Isn't there a better fish?

Cod or occasionaly Haddock or Plaice.

What do you think of American football?

Personally, i think it's a bit of a girls sport. I mean why all the helmets and shoulder pads? Basketball and ice hockey are cool though.

And, would you consider Tony Blair = to our George Bush? /

More or less yeah.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Most people outside Liverpool I would imagine! Liverpool is a place that requires a certain kind of taste to like. I'm sure some Scousers would put me right on that though!!

We have a bad reputation that is only exceeded by our charms and our taste for music, art and culture.

Believe it or not, i'd say Liverpool is one of the friendlier, cleaner and nicer cities in the UK.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This is to all the posters in here trying to make it sound like they know what they are talking about.

People will take you a lot more seriously if you spell check your posts and use proper grammar. Calling it "Northern Island" will not ingratiate yourself with anyone, especially the Irish. I thought the "Northern Islands" with respect to England would be the Orkneys. It is not the "Gun power plot". It's the Gun POWDER plot.

Poor spelling and punctuation just makes you look like an uneducated moron that no one will take seriously.

With deference to George W. Bush.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I kind of agree - why preach when you need to learn how to spell (i of course refer to the OP not yourself.)

But all the same this thread is amusing at least.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Really? I would have thought Man. U would be similar to the NY Yankees. People respect them and love to watch them, but hate that they always win. And thus end up rooting against them.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the fact that you think the NFL is girly. Hockey players wear far more padding than NFL players.

The NFL is composed of the meanest and strongest athletes of America.
Google nfl's hardest hits.
www.youtube.com...

Try letting a 6'8" 300lbs player, who bench presses 500lbs, hit you with full padding and a mattress between you. You will not be able to walk the next day. While NBA/soccer players are the best overall in shape athletes, the American football players are by far the strongest and most deadly.

I wish I could think of more questions for you Brits while I have your attention. Maybe, I will be able to think tomorrow when I am not impaired.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Im fed up with quite a few americans not knowing anything about us, i know Texas is a state, why dont you realise Wales, scotland and northern island is part of Britian?

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Haydn_17]

To the OP:

You know so much about Texas, huh?

Did you know that by law it could be divided into 5 separate states? Figure that one out! (Or Google it if you wish, but it's true. Kinda makes you feel a little silly expecting us to know everything about your little country, maybe?)

edit to add:
Heres a link and a quote, I wont make you Google it!

Ordinance of Annexation Approved by the Texas Convention on July 4, 1845

"Third -- New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution; and such states as may be formed out of the territory lying south of thirty-six degrees thirty minutes north latitude, commonly known as the Missouri Compromise Line, shall be admitted into the Union.."

[edit on 3-4-2010 by treemanx]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Really? I would have thought Man. U would be similar to the NY Yankees. People respect them and love to watch them, but hate that they always win. And thus end up rooting against them.

Nope Liverpool have always (at least up until recently been a genuine team) whilst Man UTD are the typical 'glory hunter' generic team.

Try letting a 6'8" 300lbs player, who bench presses 500lbs, hit you with full padding and a mattress between you. You will not be able to walk the next day. While NBA/soccer players are the best overall in shape athletes, the American football players are by far the strongest and most deadly.

Take away ALL the padding and you've got 6'8" 3000lb players crunching into each other - it's called RUGBY and the game doesn't stop ever five seconds either

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Im fed up with quite a few americans not knowing anything about us, i know Texas is a state, why dont you realise Wales, scotland and northern island is part of Britian?

Lesson

Ok this is your lesson on the British Isles, for quite a few americans who on ats who doesnt know what or where britain is.
Britian.

The Romans invaded Britian in 43AD, Great Britain had already frequently been the target of invasions, planned and actual, by forces of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire..

British resistance was led by Togodumnus and Caratacus, sons of the late king of the Catuvellauni, Cunobelinus. A substantial British force met the Romans at a river crossing thought to be near Rochester on the River Medway. The battle raged for two days. Hosidius Geta was almost captured, but recovered and turned the battle so decisively that he was awarded the ornamenta triumphalia.

The British were pushed back to the Thames. The Romans pursued them across the river causing them to lose men in the marshes of Essex.

And so the time of Roman Britain began..
Their rule officially began in AD 43 and ended in 410

---------------------------

449AD Saxons arrive in England
The newcomers spoke their own languages, which in time became a language now known as Anglo-Saxon or Old English. The Anglo-Saxons themselves called it 'Englisc'. The country taken over by the new settlers became 'England'.

516AD The Britons under a unknowen leader defeat the Saxons at Mount Badon

597AD Christianity spreads across England

1066AD William of Normandy is crowned King of England

1100AD Henry I Is crowned King of England

1114AD Henry I Invades Wales forcing Gwynedd to submit

Speeding things up now

1305AD William Wallace is executed by the English

1607AD Named for King James I of England, Jamestown was founded in the Virginia Colony on May 14, 1607

2003AD Britian joins the US on an Invasion of Iraq

2004AD 10 New states join the European Union

So thats a brief history.
Britian is: Wales, Scotland, Northern Island
Britian has around 14 overseas territories remaining from the Empire.
For example.

British Virgin Islands

www.youtube.com...

Remember this thread before you ask if Scotland is part of the UK

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Haydn_17]

You go telling people about your own country yet you almost on every occasion manage to misspell it's name?
Just something about you anglosaxons...

[edit on 4/4/2010 by enteri]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
what is Britain? ive never heard of it

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Thanks for your reply.
The Scots-Irish over here are whats commonly refered to as Hillbilly. You may be familiar with a certain stereotype. We're those toothless, ignorant, incestous, violent, barefoot folk adored by the American media.
We have the distinction of being the only group it's safe to disparage in Oh-So Politically Correct America.
I've done a little reading on the subject but never found anything except for the romantiicized tale of some tribe forced from England to Ireland then America some one hundred years later.
I was actually hoping for the answer to the grittier question: What are we? Pict? Celt?
Thanks again . Sorry to derail this thread.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
To the OP: I was not aware that this was not common knowledge.

Maybe im not scanning the same forums as you, but really havnt seem much of a misinterpretation of what Britan consists of.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by SiKFury]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
I already knew all of this, and more. You left out a crapload of useful details. Like the story of Hadrian's Wall, who the Britons really were (Celts) and who the Saxons really were (Germans). You do realize that the English today are mostly German. The real Britons are the Welsh.

Try telling that to the Iceni

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 23refugee

Some fled to South Africa to make their fortunes in the mines. And found themselves in the middle of an English war and intered in concentration camps for political reasons.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I have some questions on the subject of Great (?) Britain..

1. Do you cry on the 4th of July every year?

2. Is underwear worn under a kilt?

3. Why do you talk funny?

4. Can you order Sir Elton John or Sir Paul McCartney into battle?

5. Do you miss David Beckham? I heard he is a famous football player, is he a quarterback?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

I am going to have to disagree with you on the fact that you think the NFL is girly. Hockey players wear far more padding than NFL players.

The NFL is composed of the meanest and strongest athletes of America.
Google nfl's hardest hits.
www.youtube.com...

I wish I could think of more questions for you Brits while I have your attention. Maybe, I will be able to think tomorrow when I am not impaired.

A Rugby player destroys American footbal players in speed, strength and endurance. Not forgetting the fact 99% of NFL have used performance enhancing drugs to get their size and weight, not forgetting the fact they are superb athletes who wear body armour. Britsh have grit americans have armour, says it all really.

Mod Edit: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

As a temporary inhabitant of the UK, I love the way you leap hundreds of years between the events you choose as being historically notable and the randomness of those events too. You leave gaps of several hundred years, as if those intervening years had nothing of any historical note whatever. And you leave out many fundamental events which are crucial to the establishment of the United Kingdom as if they were of no consequence at all.

The Reformation, for example, whereby the practice & doctrine of the Roman Catholic church was so firmly rejected. Many of the critical protestant thinkers were Scottish, it directly led to the execution of the Queen Mary of Scotland on the orders of her English cousin, Queen Elizabeth I.

You haven't mentioned Magna Carta, the first document to place limits on regal powers. You haven't mentioned the English civil war, which saw high drama on the floor of the House of Commons, the execution of the King and imposition of a Lord Protector to rule in the monarchs absence.

The Act of Union between Scotland & England which created "the United Kingdom" ... not a mention. Parliamentary democracy, the emergence of a dominant and elected lower house, heck that doesn't merit a mention either.

The thing I find most risible is this assumption of yours that British history should best be left to the British ... whereas the truth is that prior to 1776 (or perhaps the Pilgrim Fathers) American history is British history and those events you plucked out of thin air are as part American heritage as they are yours. You give no credit to Americans for their post colonial democratic institutions and the influence they had in the late 1700's and 1800's on European thought. In some ways your United Kingdom changed from Kings & Lords to Commons ascendant because of the American War of Independence and that each man, from beggar to baron, should have a stake in electing someone to represent his interests in Parliament.

I find with British history you can choose one event and spend your whole life researching its causes, checking out the notable characters etc and you'd still never get the truth, so vast is the depth of history in these islands I've chosen home.

I'm currently researching the life of a man called Robert Owen (have you heard of him ... I guess not) ... he was a social reformer in the late 1700's who believed that men were the product of their environment & he rejected all religious causes as being absurd. I've read three books about him and visited the village at New Lanark where he put his theories into practice and later this year I'm visiting New Harmony in Indiana USA, where his social reforms ground to an abrupt halt.

Your scattergun approach to history and the hectoring tone you adopt towards Americans, well, it's not worthy of so many stars and flags.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by kilowogdm1

Thing is, if the desire so much to be free, why did they ask to join the Union in the first place?

Ask to join which union? The union was created when Scotland and England signed the Act of Union 1707 so there was no union for us to "ask" to join.

We didn't conquer them you know.

The English certainly didn't conquer us through strength of arms (despite many attempts) but there is a lot of evidence that bribes were given by the English to the Scottish commissioners given authority to negotiate the act. There was a lot of civil unrest at the time with protests and petitions coming in from all over the country against the union.

Now don't get me wrong I have no wish to leave the union now as I believe whether English, Irish, Welsh or Scottish we all face the same problems in this day and age and we might as well solve them together. What does get on my nerves is when the English belittle Scotland like its a country just hanging onto England's coat tails as you just end up looking like the so called "ignorant" Americans that you claim get on your nerves. Here follows a good example of what I'm talking about :

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

What do you think of American football?

Personally, i think it's a bit of a girls sport. I mean why all the helmets and shoulder pads? Basketball and ice hockey are cool though.

Is that a commentary on your "girls"?

Rugby is where you're headed right? We've got Rugby too, just not as popular as football. My roommate in college was on the women's rugby team... sturdy woman, that's for sure. I always felt safe when we were out on the town.

[edit on 4/4/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Goolly, u made Amerikans sound lik self adsorbs apes...

Why don't u Britash people get in yer little boats, sail off into yer precious paficic ocean and drowned

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join