It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium moves to ban the burqa

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Belgium moves to ban the burqa

www.euronews.net

Belgium is set to take a key step today towards banning full Islamic veils from being worn in public places.

A committee of MPs is expected to back the move which would then face a bigger vote in parliament.

Belgium would become the first country in Europe to outlaw the burqa and niqab from its streets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It is expected that the entire Belgian Parliament will support the proposal in a vote this April. Belgium would then become the first European country with a complete ban on burqas and niqabs.

The law which they want to pass will be based on the fact that it is not possible to identify people who wear clothes that cover almost the entire body and face....

What a victory.......???

Because we are having a problem with mainly the male section of the Muslim society in Europe, we decide the best way to deal with this problem is to outlaw their women's clothing.

Who here thinks that Muslim women will benefit from this? Not a Muslim-man will allow his wife on the street without proper clothing. So it is back into social isolation for these women..

Are we actually trying to solve or create problems here???

I am leaving this stupid continent. Are the Inuit taking up refugees nowadays??

Peace

www.euronews.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
those muslims that have a problem with this should leave the European continent.

To be honest though, such is the wealth and benefits system here, I can't imagine their being a flood of such departures...................

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

It is CHILD ABUSE, for my children to see women dressed in a shroud, this is ABUSE of women, and its abuse of my children to see this ugly repression modelled in front of their eyes. I love all people, but ALL "traditions", no. Children need to see equality between men and women being modeled and demonstrated at all times.

This is something that needs to be dealt with in all "free" and "equal" countries.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

The Muslim men are not going to be bothered by this in the least but the real losers of this whole deal are the women...

For the Muslim man it is not to difficult to make your wife stay home. For the Muslim wife to get outside, her only option is to wear that damn burqa. If that is taken away, she is literally convicted to a life in prison.

"Well, those women should stand up for them selfs!!"....

Right, but that takes time and education. I believe the biggest group graduating from colleges and universities in the Netherlands right now are Muslim women. That's positive!! Educate them..and let them set their men (and their fanatic religious ideas) straight. To "destroy"the Muslim "threat" you have to destroy it from the inside out.

Liberate their women and pretty soon the Muslim-man can go outside and play but have to be home for supper...

Peace

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Again...

Are we going to solve the repression of Muslim women or should they them selfs do this??

Instead of sending more soldiers and bombs in eastern direction, let us try and send a bunch of educated and liberated women that way. Believe me, the only weapon guaranteed of success right now is feminism for Muslim women!!

Peace

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Simple solution: make their men wear a burka too. That way everyone would be prim and proper. Equality for all!! I especially want to see them doing it in Houston, Texas where the temperatures can go over 37C. That would put an abrupt halt to that garbage.

If I moved to Belgium, or wherever, I would become Belgian. If I didn't like their society, I could darned well stay in my country instead of trying to drag my culture with me. Also, I think women in the free world have fought long enough for the freedom they have now without having to see other women parading around under a tent like property from the 7th century. Just as Unity_99 said, children don't need to see this. They need to see equality between the sexes.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup
Simple solution: make their men wear a burka too. That way everyone would be prim and proper. Equality for all!! I especially want to see them doing it in Houston, Texas where the temperatures can go over 37C. That would put an abrupt halt to that garbage.

Uhhmm dude? I believe the temperatures, where this tradition originates from, is similar if not more extreme then the Texas weather. Just saying

If I moved to Belgium, or wherever, I would become Belgian. If I didn't like their society, I could darned well stay in my country instead of trying to drag my culture with me.

I agree that adaptation is in place if one moves to another culture but i would sure as h*ll like my religion to be respected and my freedom to express it. The problem isn't that these Muslim-women don't want to adapt but under the pressure of their culture they are not allowed to.

Also, I think women in the free world have fought long enough for the freedom they have now without having to see other women parading around under a tent like property from the 7th century.

So your solution is to let them be locked away? (Because you know that will happen, right?). What a curious solution....

Just as Unity_99 said, children don't need to see this. They need to see equality between the sexes.

I agree!! And the best place to start is the education of Muslim women about the equality between man and woman...IMHO

Peace

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by blueorder

For the Muslim wife to get outside, her only option is to wear that damn burqa.

What the frell are you talking about?
Why do you people even speak without the least shred of knowledge? It is NOT anywhere in Islam that the man shall tell his wife what is she to wear, or if she is to wear niqab, burqa, or whatever.
When will you get this?

The order to COVER the body is in the Qur'an and it is directed to both men and women - if the woman wants to OBEY GOD then she will cover herself (this doesnt mean burqa, but cover "intimate" body parts and not expose other parts which may be deemed as erotic).
It is NOT ALLOWED for a man to command her wife if she will do this or not. It is FOR HER BENEFIT before God, not before man.

I am muslim, and I don't go around commanding my wife what is she to wear - she CAN READ for herself, she can decide whether she will obey God or not - if she sins, IT IS HER SIN, not mine.

In the Day of Judgement we will all be alone with OURSELVES and OUR deeds.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by skajkingdom]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm a Belgian, and this has to be the most retarded law ever proposed,

I've read a study that the total number of woman in Belgium who want (or are forced to) to wear a burka are +/- 25 people....

I live in the 2nd biggest town in Belgium, Antwerp, and there is a huge Muslim community here, but personally I've never ever seen someone wearing a burka in public. That says a lot.

So this is a law(proposal) aimed at a minority of about 25 people... which imho is retarded, then again so are all our politicians, so i'm not suprised.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XyZeR

I second your statement. I have yet to see a muslim women wearing a burqa where I live in Belgium and I live in a muslim dense location.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by XyZeR
I'm a Belgian, and this has to be the most retarded law ever proposed,

I've read a study that the total number of woman in Belgium who want (or are forced to) to wear a burka are +/- 25 people....

I live in the 2nd biggest town in Belgium, Antwerp, and there is a huge Muslim community here, but personally I've never ever seen someone wearing a burka in public. That says a lot.

So this is a law(proposal) aimed at a minority of about 25 people... which imho is retarded, then again so are all our politicians, so i'm not suprised.

I agree with everything that you said. I live in Brussels, right in the middle, probably 50% of the nearby community or more are muslims and not once, not a single time have i ever seen a full veil burqa.

Its a stupid law, just riding the French coattails once a again.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I'm cool with this
Wow @ France being the one paving the way lol
When will the U.S. do this?

Actually you know what?
Let all countries do this, as this seems to be what is happening
and let the U.S. be one of the last ones to do it
that might be good PR and might awaken the Saudis

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by skajkingdom
What the frell are you talking about?
Why do you people even speak without the least shred of knowledge? It is NOT anywhere in Islam that the man shall tell his wife what is she to wear, or if she is to wear niqab, burqa, or whatever.
When will you get this?

Please spare me the BS!! You know just as well as I do that your religion is based on the interpretation of men who are all to happy to be able to suppress their women because of what a book says.

The order to COVER the body is in the Qur'an and it is directed to both men and women - if the woman wants to OBEY GOD then she will cover herself (this doesnt mean burqa, but cover "intimate" body parts and not expose other parts which may be deemed as erotic).

And what happens to women who choose not to OBEY GOD so strickly? Honestly, how does the male part of your culture deal with such women?

It is NOT ALLOWED for a man to command her wife if she will do this or not. It is FOR HER BENEFIT before God, not before man.

But it is okay to manipulate her?????????

I am muslim, and I don't go around commanding my wife what is she to wear - she CAN READ for herself, she can decide whether she will obey God or not - if she sins, IT IS HER SIN, not mine.

You will only see that the will of your GOD be laid upon those that do not obey?!?

In the Day of Judgement we will all be alone with OURSELVES and OUR deeds.

And don't anybody ever forget that!!!

Peace

[edit on 31-3-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

And what happens to women who choose not to OBEY GOD so strickly? Honestly, how does the male part of your culture deal with such women?

[edit on 31-3-2010 by operation mindcrime]

Nothing happens. I come from an area where 100% are muslim. My mother wears a head veil (no burqa or whatever), my sisters don't wear veils, nor my cousins, someone wears a veil, some don't. AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

GET IT NOW?

You want proof?

I come from northern Albania - take a trip there, check for yourself.

So, cut the crap, all of you, who talk without knowledge.

Seriously, STFU.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup

Uhhmm dude? I believe the temperatures, where this tradition originates from, is similar if not more extreme then the Texas weather. Just saying.

Yes, but the MEN don't wear one! I want every covered woman to be accompanied by a man covered to the same degree. When those men have sweat rolling down their face, back of their legs, etc., things will change!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

This Burqa & Niqab doesnt belong here... it's old dress traditions still worn in MD or Islamic Country's.... if they want to be seperated by this religion and dress then they should go live in one of those country's....

I see it a lot in London now and i gotta tell ya it's a ghastly sight... like death or the dead itself... its depressing and suppresing... i'm pretty sure most Muslim women do not want to wear that dress...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by XyZeR

If this is about 25 people only, why are you and some others on this thread making such a fuss about it? This law wouldn't affect many so I frankly don't see the problem.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
skajkingdom,

I do wonder how many women cover their faces because they genuinely wish to or because the men or priests in their communities have decreed that they must.

When you’re conditioned from a young age that GOD wants you to cover yourself because of reasons mentioned in a book. And your community presses on the importance of such rules. How strong to you have to be to go against that??

It's indoctrination, plain and simple. And without education the options to choose from are quite limited.

So, cut the crap, all of you, who talk without knowledge.

Without knowledge or an other version of the truth? Your reaction says more then you know......

Peace

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by skajkingdom

For you consideration (from a muslim woman)

The reality is that many women have reason to dislike the burqa even when they do not harbor any Islamophobic sentiments. The fact is that the burqa is often imposed on women by hardline states or religious groups. The Saudi Arabian government forces women to wear the burqa in all public places. It also prohibits women from driving or travelling without a male relative. The Taliban imposed the burqa on women when it controlled Afghanistan before 2001. Today, it forces women to wear it in areas it controls in Afghanistan and Pakistan. In societies in which women are punished severely for not wearing it, the burqa is a part of a range of laws and policies designed to suppress women. It is not hard to see why many women in these societies associate the burqa with a highly repressive patriarchal structure that subjugates and confines women in the name of Islam.

source

Woow....that's almost the opposite of what you just said.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join