It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police act swiftly after gun purchases

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Police act swiftly after gun purchases

www.mailtribune.com

Concerns about an Oregon Department of Transportation employee who purchased several guns after being placed on leave prompted law enforcement across Southern Oregon to step in.

Negotiators and a SWAT team from Medford police safely took a man — whose name wasn't released — into protective custody Monday morning in the 500 block of Effie Street, Medford police said in a news release.

He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.

The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was "very disgruntled," the news release said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

In two days, the man bought a Heckler & Koch .45-caliber universal self-loading handgun, a Walther .380-caliber handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said. [color=GOLD]All of those firearms were purchased legally, with required record checks by the Oregon State Police.

Police seized the recently purchased firearms, as well as another .45-caliber Heckler & Koch handgun and a 12-gauge shotgun. Police are holding the weapons for safekeeping, but no criminal charges have been filed.

I told you folks... they are coming after the guns..

We are living in a police state...

www.mailtribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue Mar 9 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

GUILTY!
Until proven innocent.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Illegal search and seizure much?

JEEEZE!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

Very nice find Rainfall, even though we have are disagreements We see eye to eye more than we think...

Not to the topic I think it is BS, because the man bought Guns that makes him a criminal? Because he got fired or was disgruntled that makes him a criminal? That’s bogus, where is the ACLU on this, a clear violation of the man’s rights.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well if you buy more than one gun per-week you do get flagged...

I once bought a cased Matching pair of colt SAA's. not you carry shooters they came from the custom shop already mounded in a glass wall case...

few days later I have a visit from my local friendly deputy sheriff...
To go further the young man wouldn't know an SSA from an SKS if it bit him on his tushy!

Once he got to demanding I remove them from their factory sealed case we had to call his supervisor and set the boy straight... Turned out I would later sell that same set to the boys dad... wonder how that turned out?

Dont want to be flagged? dont buy more than one per week

+18 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
From the article:

"Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach," OSP Sgt. Jeff Proulx said.

Translation: "He didnt commit a single crime, but we took him into custody anyways because we dont give a rats ass about the 2nd or 5th Amendment. "

Each and every officer involved in detaining this man should be fired and prosecuted for deprivation of his Constitutionally protected rights.

Clearly the author of the article doesnt know anything about guns, as she refers to an AK as an "assault rifle"

[edit on 9-3-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I saw this coming from a mile away. I'm looking into purchasing a saiga 12 guage and a barrett rec7 so hopefully this doesn't happen to me.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

We shouldn't have to worry about "getting flagged". If I want to go buy 10 this week go ahead and "flag" me. I'll show them exactly where they can put their opinion of that.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

That's exactly what that meant.

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Let us theorize momentarily ...

If the guy had gone back to his job where he had been laid off and shot the place up and killed some people, hell even if he just killed one person, and then the story came out the the local law enforcement had records of his multi-gun purchase just days before he went on a shooting spree ....

How many of you would be blaming the police force for not acting on their information and stepping in to intervene to stop this mans plans of recourse?

Police step in and stop this man from possibly killing people -
"The police don't care about us, they're out to take away our constitutional rights!"

Police do nothing about the info they have and this man kills people -
"The police don't care about us. They're out to kill us!"

So, which side of the arguement are you going to fall in to?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigshow

I'm not saying you cant do it, hell I do it all the time... just if you do expect a visit is all...

to be honest those visits worked out well, more than once I sold one or two toys at a tidy profit

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Since the ACLU has become most selective on which cases they'll take, don't count on them being in on this one...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It amazes me that this happened in Oregon. The people here, especially outside of the metro area, are very into their gun rights.

Of course, there are a lot of 'git er done' rednecks around as well.....

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
And if this disturbed man had of gone and went postal, you would all be singing....Why didn't the LEO do something; the signs were all there.

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Poor guy was probably just facing the fact that given the job market he would have to live off the land and wanted to stock up before his money ran out on useless things like rent and utility bills.

Sorry for those upset with the police but maybe go have a talk with Larry Walington's family and see if they think the Oregon police officers overstepped their bounds.

The song remains the same folks.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Detailed Perfection

Did they have any, any at all, to believe he was going to do any such thing? Somehow, I doubt it.

Gonna swoop down on every disgruntled ex-employee who's a legal gun owner? Because they might...might? go postal? Not the way it's supposed to work...

As for coming down on the police for not doing this, if the guy actually did go postal...

Nope. That's a bit more hypocritical then I'm comfortable with.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. Clearly the author knows NOTHING about guns. A civilian Ak-47 is not an assault rifle. You can not select your firing mode with one unless you take it to a gunsmith who specializes in russian arms. I bet this idiot thinks that semi-automatic means fully automatic.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hi!

And of course if this guy had gone back to his place of employment and killed a couple/few people there would be a thread here with a million stars were the jackals would be drooling over some false consipracy?

When will people learn that there's a balance? Which way do you want it? Death, destruction, negativism and loss...or a certain modicum of control?

I agree the that the forces to enforce the law think they are the law (I've been there belive me) but on the other hand the mentality of people is such that they need to be controlled to protect the innocent.

A balance,

Peace!

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said.

"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said.

The man was being watched. He was a concern. Then he purchased multiple weapons. The police had reason to visit him. He was taken to the hospital for a psyche. eval. he wasn't arrested for the purchase of weapons... Let's not intertwine the two issues and call them one... this is not about a gun rights violation...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join