It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the NBA rigged?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
And for that matter, many other professional sports? I'll explain if anyone is interested........

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Hate to say it but you could have posted this here www.sportztawk.com...

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The NBA no way, some officials might take bribes or something to control the tempo of the game. Steals, Dunking over people, blocked shots, and rainbows from way outside is a enjoyable game.

Boxing has been rigged in the past and the ranking system still ain't right.

Exposure is all a top athlete needs to suceed in his/her sport, many less connected real deal players are missing there chance because they cant get a break and exposed to the right people to get picked up and dont do enough on their part to get their name out there.

Individual Sports with judges is always going to be subjective. Only the tuned in experts in their sport really knows what goes on behind the scenes.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
i hope not about the nba but this year the lakers wuz looking pretty bad at the beginning of the year but now are looking to take the title. also recently shaq was talking about the "strife" between the players and how its all "scripted" to create hype. which makes sense.. but fixed? don't know.
but "paranoia" magazine did a cover story on the nfl couple years ago that was pretty interesting.

i'd like to hear more about what the original poster has to say on the subject.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
www.disinfo.com...
here's the article. "the nfl: professional fantasy football?"

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
My post got deleted. I'll post tomorrow.
But here is something I want you all to look at. Tell me what name comes to mind when you see each team.
2002-03 San Antonio Spurs
2001-02 Los Angeles Lakers
2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers
1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers
1998-99 San Antonio Spurs
1997-98 Chicago Bulls
1996-97 Chicago Bulls
1995-96 Chicago Bulls
1994-95 Houston Rockets
1993-94 Houston Rockets
1992-93 Chicago Bulls
1991-92 Chicago Bulls
1990-91 Chicago Bulls
1989-90 Detroit Pistons

Have a pleasant Memorial Day.

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by MKugs]

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MKugs
Tell me what name comes to mind when you see each team.

Uh, the teams with the best players are the ones winning the championship?
Well outside of maybe the Pistons.

I dunno what you are trying to point out. Maybe that they all come from different geographic regions of the USA?

As for whether I think pro sports are rigged, not really. Well at least not the four major sports here in the US. I do think that referees and such favor certain players and this may seem like the games are rigged at times, but I don't think it's intentionally done to the point where it's some league-wide conspiracy to get certain teams to win.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The NBA is a business. The basketball players are like highly paid slaves that run around for their master and provide entertainment for millions.

Players are workers and a boss can tell a worker how to act (or play).

The NBA�s goal is to sell advertising space and seats so they can get money. If they found out that many people would like to see a particular team in the playoffs they might work towards that goal. If was the owner of the NBA I would surely do this because money is good.

Because of this I think it is possible that a basketball game can be rigged.

P.S. I am not dissing professional athletes I am just trying to make a point.

d1k

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qraz A.K.A. MIlfort
The NBA is a business. The basketball players are like highly paid slaves that run around for their master and provide entertainment for millions.

Players are workers and a boss can tell a worker how to act (or play).

The NBA�s goal is to sell advertising space and seats so they can get money. If they found out that many people would like to see a particular team in the playoffs they might work towards that goal. If was the owner of the NBA I would surely do this because money is good.

Because of this I think it is possible that a basketball game can be rigged.

P.S. I am not dissing professional athletes I am just trying to make a point.

Millionaire slaves whom love doing what they do, which I wouldn't mind being at all nor would 99.999% of the world.

Crazy way of looking at professional sports.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by W_HAMILTON

Originally posted by MKugs
Tell me what name comes to mind when you see each team.

Uh, the teams with the best players are the ones winning the championship?
Well outside of maybe the Pistons.

I dunno what you are trying to point out. Maybe that they all come from different geographic regions of the USA?

As for whether I think pro sports are rigged, not really. Well at least not the four major sports here in the US. I do think that referees and such favor certain players and this may seem like the games are rigged at times, but I don't think it's intentionally done to the point where it's some league-wide conspiracy to get certain teams to win.

No, look at each team. Think of the star player on each of those teams.

02'-03'
The Spurs :Tim Duncan. The new hall-of-fame to be, Tim Duncan, is everywhere. Whether he is holding up the MVP trophy or being quiet at a press conference, the people know him and love his "I'm just an honest worker," style of play.. The Spurs become one of the most successful teams in the NBA.

01'-02'
The Lakers:Kobe Bryant. Kobe Bryant continues his assault on the image of the NBA. With his partner Shaquille O'Neal, we have begun to see a Dynasty in the making, with no end. Kobe's cocky attitude spurs up heat from fans, and love from the media. Sprite commercials, shoes, McDonalds, if you need to buy something, he probably is on the label.

00'-01'
The Lakers: Kobe Bryant. Kobe and Shaq continue proving that the first one, wasn't luck. They strike fear into their opponents, and money in the franchise. They are on every channel, every newspaper, and everyone's mind.

99'-00'
The Lakers: Kobe Bryant. The NBA has a new leader. Kobe Bryant. Say what you will, but he is the Michael Jordan in the making. Advertising deals come pouring in, his shoes, on the feet of everyone, and a grin that says "I'm better than you, and I'll prove it" on his face. The NBA had major success with MJ, and now they have Kobe. Why not give the future MJ a trophy, and maybe a few more?

98'-99'
The Spurs: Tim Duncan. With no Michael Jordan, the NBA needed someone to carry the league. That someone would be a quiet power forward in the west, named Tim Duncan. Perhaps not the best to use in marketing, but his honest play and hard work would become the logo for every hardworking American. Who doesn't like an honest underdog? With long-tim favorite David Robinson aside him, this duo would be the substitute for the lack of Jordan/Pippen. This duo though, would prove to be everyone's heroes. Whether you were a fan or not, seeing the good ol' days of hard honest play, looked great in the hands of Tim Duncan.

Will continue, the next part, but first do you see where I am going?
Wait till' I talk about this year.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This year was pretty obvious the NBA is rigged. Look at the last playoff round. The only big market teams left in the playoffs were down 0-2 each and the games werent close. The league was in a position to lose a fortune. And something amazing happened. All the sudden the big market teams turned it around. Just in the nick of time. Unfortunately for the NBA only 1 big market team advanced. It would be a cold day in hell before the league would allow not a single big market team to advance. Cmon. Did you really think the Lakers wouldn't advance no matter how poorly they played?

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Cmon. Did you really think the Lakers wouldn't advance no matter how poorly they played?

See this guy is thinking. After Game 6 tonight, I'll finish my post. Have a good Memorial Day.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You people don't know anything about basketball.

The reason why high market teams always win is because they have the money to buy the best talent. There is no conspiracy theory in the NBA.

Whoever said they NBA players are slaves is an asshole. Slaves who make millions of dollars a year and play the sport they love everyday as job? They get to play basketball everyday and they got paid for it. I wish I was a slave.

The Lakers are taking it this year because they got the TALENT!

Look at what they did to the Spurs. They beat the Spurs four games straight to take the series because of their adjustments from Games 1 and 2.

Also, Kobe's 40 point performance in Game 3 really lifted that team to beat the Spurs.

The Minnesota series is the same thing. It wasn't going to be a sweep, I called it 4-2 before it even started. The Wolves played their best ball in Game 5 and they only won by 2 points in their homecourt.

The Lakers are going to destroy the Wolves tonight. They were unbeaten at home in the Playoffs.

The Lakers have the best big man in the game and that is one of the reasons why they alwways win.

How many good talented centers are there in the NBA? Only one and he plays for the Lakers.

The Lakers have the best all around player in the NBA and his name is Kobe Bryant.

That is why they win.

Also with the addition to Karl Malone, he has become the father figure to most of those guys in the locker room and he has the kept the team intact when the media is trying to break that team apart exposing the fake "rift" between Kobe and Shaq and the Kobe court case hearings.

You want to talk about a conspiracy, talk about why Kobe is facing sexual assault charges.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
The reason why high market teams always win is because they have the money to buy the best talent.

That, and the fact that most players would prefer to play for big market teams. They get more exposure. They get more publicity and endorsement opportunities. Usually those teams are better because not winning in LA or someplace is different than not winning in say, Milwaukee. Usually the owners of the big market teams are richer. You can go on and on.

Also the the original poster, go ahead and make your point already; you are being very Aussie Bloke'ish at the moment

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The Lakers are going to the Finals for the fourth time in five years.

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Illmatic67]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
The Lakers are going to the Finals for the fourth time in five years.

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Illmatic67]

I would post the rest of my arguement, but right now I am just so damn pissed. I will post tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Man, don't even try to post no conspiracy theory about the Lakers winning that game.

Oh, wait- let's talk about all those FOULS in the second quarter the Lakers were called with. That is a CONSPIRACY.

Kobe with 3
Shaq with 4

Give me a break.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Nope all those fouls committed were done cos they(Shaqand Kobe) must have been angry at the opposition imean thats what usually happens isnt it?

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
who cares if its rigged or not- its a game- and no one has to watch it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join