It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Karma collective or personal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If karma is the direct result of ones actions or choices then my question is this if i am bad and deserving of bad karma and am with another person (wife / freind)why is it they my presence may cause them harm? that would mean that karma does not exist? Curious if this question holds clout?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

karma is like if someone say hit you and you didn't hit them back you would wait for karma to do its juty and hope someone beats the crap outta them eventually, thats is karma!!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Karma is simply sanscrit for "action". To say that something is "your karma" literally means that it is "your doing".

The lay interpretation of karma is that it's some sort of cosmic retribution system. The subtle interpretation of karma on the other hand, takes into account the concept that you're simply a manifestation of Brahman as is everything else in the world. Because of that there's no real difference between what you do and what happens to you. As Brahman, it is all your doing, hence it is your karma.

That's what karma really means. Of course, the next piece of bad luck you get, if you choose to chalk that up to karma for something you did in the past, and that makes you feel like you've atoned for what you've done then go for it.

My personal advice though if you feel like you've done something regrettable is to first try to forgive yourself because face it, you're only human. Next do all you can to help the situation. After that it's out of your hands. The only karmic debt you drag behind you is the one you have in your mind.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

From an esoteric philosophy perspective, I think that we incarnate in Karmic groups to work out the balance of past energies set into motion in relation to the Group. Here is the intro to a good article with link:
The Law of Cause and Effect. (Karma)
by Aart Jurriaanse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Homepage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In the course of these articles brief reference has in several instances been made to the Law of Cause and Effect, perhaps better known under its Eastern designation of Karma. The whole of human existence and evolution is so intimately concerned with several aspects of this Law, that it is considered advisable that the student should become better acquainted with some of its details, as these principles play a commanding role in the shaping of man's daily life.

Individual Karma is the cumulative result of all of man's actions and thoughts, not only of his present life but also of his innumerable earlier existences. This individual karma is in itself a most complicated matter and difficult to comprehend in its totality. But the position is even far more involved, because in addition to the result of man's own activities, his life is also subject to several other types of karma over which he has no direct control, and as a result of which he may be considered as merely a puppet, or an insignificant atom in the cosmic destinies. He is, for instance, also subject to Universal or Cosmic karma, to world karma, as well as to the karma of humanity, the race, nation, group, and family to mention only a few. All these different types of karma are intermingled and are interacting in such an inconceivable and inextricable manner that the total complex is far beyond human conception.

The complexity of karma has been pointed out because students are sometimes inclined to over-simplify the position. Every human being is governed by forces far beyond his consciousness, sweeping him, his associates and environment into incomprehensible circumstances from which there is no escape and which he must learn to accept.

Notwithstanding this relatively somber picture, man still retains his free will with which he, within certain limits, can control his own destiny, or in other words `man can make or break his own life'. He can initiate action which will definitely produce recognizable results and he thus can, to a large extent, be the architect of his own future and guide his own affairs. He will certainly be the meeting place of many forces which lie outside his control, but many of these forces he can manipulate and turn to his own purposes according to circumstances and environment.

In the course of man's development there ever comes a life wherein he becomes consciously aware of the practical working of the Law of Cause and Effect. From that stage he learns to recognize karma in life's happenings, and to evaluate events with a questioning consideration, and consequently with greater understanding. He begins to study the radiator quality of his life, and the possible karmic effects of his actions, and thus consciously he begins to build and shape his own destiny and future. From now on his reactions to life's circumstances cease to be purely emotional he consciously and mentally begins to study and analyze the possible causes responsible for occurrences that have been evoked. A totally new approach and outlook on life is engendered as he comes to the recognition that karma is the source of all events and circumstances, and that it is the instrument employed by the soul for shaping evolutionary development."

www.esoteric-philosophy.net...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lederhosen

finally got to read very interesting and does have a good point thanks for contributuing

Be Well

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I think karma judges the intent of the mind. Whatever your intent is, is what is written in the books.

If you intend to do harm to others, you are instantly doing harm to yourself (your spirit) this pain will surface upon your renewal or your ascension into the 4th dimension and above, and you will have to suffer the price.

Purge and cleanse yourself by using compassion and love in your thoughts and recalled memories. Forgive and you will be above the karmic law.

This doesn't mean that you don't revisit it from time to time. It all depends on how high you vibrate and how often you dip into the lower vibrations.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ManAnimal

If we are in an illusion, (Maya) and accrue / think we accrue Karma whilst in that illusion....is not Karma itself an illusion? When we finally realize that we are Brahman, doesn't that make everything else just an illusion. If we move to the 4th, 5th or 6th dimension are they not illusions as well. Isn't "Aham Brahmasmi" (I am Brahman) the ultimate truth? It's hard for me to wrap my feeble human understanding around that but I know in my heart, at my very soul that it is true. Feel that for a bit...I am Brahman. Nothing else matters does it? I love esoteric Hinduism, devoid of all dogma and ritual. NAMASTE to you and me because we are all Brahman.

join