It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A million library books to be sent down the mines

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Just seen this on another site i find this strange so started this thread.

ONE million books from Manchester's Central Library – including valuable volumes dating back to the 15th century - are to be put into temporarily storage with many going deep underground in the Cheshire salt mines.

Why i find this strange is why underground until 2013 thats why i put this in the 2012 section.

Central Library will re-open in 2013 with a new state-of-the-art lending library, electronic catalogue and archive centre, to bring historic local collections under one roof. A one-stop customer services centre will also be created on the ground floor of the town hall extension.

Now it could be just as they say but then i get to thinking about them seed vaults now this.
LINK www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk...

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It sounds very, very fishy!
Thanks for posting this though it makes for some interesting speculation.
Maybe they dont want the books destroyed on Dec 21

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Works from the city's reference library will be stored in the mines, hundreds of feet below ground, for the next three years while the landmark city centre site undergoes a massive refurbishment to save it from ruin.

Experts say the mine's caverns – the size of 700 football pitches - provide the perfect environment for preserving the manuscripts, which include the works of eminent academics.

This is what they say in the article, who know's though but personally i'm not a big believer in 2012 just yet so for now i'm going to assume it's for the benefit of the books and not because they are expecting some sort of world wide disaster to happen just before they bring the books back up.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I see what your saying the thing i find very strange is putting them down a mine why not in storage just like GW8UK Say's it sounds fishy to me too seed vaults books in mines WHY

Someone said on the other site preparation for war maybe i don't know.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Nothing to be scared of. They always put irreplaceable artifacts way underground during times of war.

WWI, WWII.

WWIII?

Is the Sun going to get angry?

Nibiru?

Asteroid doom?

World wide chaos?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

Oh don't get me wrong I definitely think that is a little bizarre to place them underground when you could (I’m assuming) place them in a storage somewhere by far more convenient.

Who know maybe it's for the books benefit, maybe it’s for something more sinister but for now I’m going to assume it's my first instinct.

Never know though.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You have to admit, it seems like the tension is heating up world wide.
Their actions could indicate some prior knowledge of a future catastrophe.
IMHO
Violater1 out.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

You could be right but its strange enough to see what others think about this like i said seed vaults now this Hmmm!
And no i do not think the world will end in 2012 but that don't mean nothing will happen keep options open for any situation.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
Oh don't get me wrong I definitely think that is a little bizarre to place them underground when you could (I’m assuming) place them in a storage somewhere by far more convenient.

Well a lot of old mines are re-purposed for storage actually - some of the most secure, well so far as I know THE most secure storage for data and other things is in some mine under a mountain somewhere.

It does make a lot of sense really (from a practical point of view) - loads of space going spare, good transport routes and all the amenities are already built in - if you own a defunct mine that's a very sensible business move.

An added plus with a salt mine is the complete absence of moisture.

Of course I have nothing to add on the whole 2012 angle, that's the OP's golf course!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I find the whole concept of some random event wiping out most of the earths population on a specific date in 2012 to be bunk, silly, nonsense...

but...

I might take a quick look to see what deep caves are nearby...just for amusement purposes.....hmm, and perhaps toss down a few water filters and candles...you know, should I ever decide to go camping or something down there.

heh

nevermind, I am in Florida...pretty much doomed no matter what.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

No 2012 is not my golf course i already said i don't think the world will end i put it in the 2012 section because i saw this and the books stay underground till 2013 then i remembered the seed vaults so i thought best to put here thats the only reason its in 2012 section ok.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
They state why they're using the mines as storage: the environment there is perfect for keeping the books safe from damage and decomposition. It's probably more economical than a book-protecting storage facility which doesn't naturally protect them.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Underground you have naturally constant temperature/humidity. Building dedicated storage for books from scratch is very expansive and time consuming. Our National library is fighting this problem long time (book stock is growing almost exponentially). What is really strange that they do not plan to build permanent stores in old mines. Valuable documents are now accessible in digital form to researchers and broad public, there is no reason to keep them in old fashioned libraries in centers of cities.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Imagine this scenario...

Okay, so the books are all safe underground, but then at some point in the future, the entire surface of earth is completely obliterated.

Millions of years pass....

and then something, or someone finds them! Wow. That would be really cool.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
lol hell maybe since there is apparently a chamber underneath the sphinxes right paw it's full of ancient books from another civilisation just like you say

Well maybe not but hell it would have been nice anyway

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

More than 22 miles of shelving and one million books - including more than 30 works dating back to the 15th century and 44,000 published before 1850 - will be relocated to the mines, Elliot House and other temporary locations including the Royal Northern College of Music. The project is part of multi-million pound plans to transform and modernise St Peter's Square and the Town Hall Complex, bringing services and facilities up to date and carrying out vital restoration works to the listed buildings.

Not JUST down the mines....these books are being stored in any available space. I sort of wish they'd store some in my house...

Out of interest...some of those old caverns are HUGE. One's going to be used to store gas to avoid fuel price hijacks and exploitation. It's 240 million cubic metres...that must have been a lot of fish & chips and heart attacks!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
They are storing gas underground too? that doesn't sound very smart...
Um, what if someone tosses a cigarette down a random hole and then BOOM.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Of all the places I could think to store rare books and such, a salt mine is probably near the last on the list. Good lord, are they just trying to give the professional restorationists some damage to work on to keep the poor bastards employed?

Salt + book = BAD

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Of all the places I could think to store rare books and such, a salt mine is probably near the last on the list. Good lord, are they just trying to give the professional restorationists some damage to work on to keep the poor bastards employed?

Salt + book = BAD

well probably the books will not be in contact with salt, while inside the mines... that would just be stupid... also the salt absorbs the water in the air thus providing a very low air humidity, which is a must for book preservation.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by bladebosq]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join