It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we done this all Before and Before and Before...?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It is theorized that the true age of the earth is about 4.6 billion years old. Source

It's believed that humans originated about 200,000 years ago in the Middle Paleolithic period in southern Africa. By 70,000 years ago, humans migrated out of Africa and began colonizing the entire planet. They spread to Eurasia and Oceania 40,000 years ago, and reached the Americas by 14,500 years ago. Source

As of 13 February 2010, the Earth's population is estimated by the United States Census Bureau to be 6,802,400,000. Source

Based on those theories, our existence is but a mere drop in the bucket.

So let’s do some math…

4,600,000,000 (earth years) ÷ 200,000 (years it’s taken our civilization to be as advanced as we are now) @ 6,802,400,000 (estimated population)

= 23,000 (give or take a few) civilizations that could have reached our current level of advancement or higher (theoretically). I haven’t forgotten the slot for the dinosaurs to have their little run of existence. There are plenty of slots within that equation for them to have had their run.

If you’ve ever seen the show Life After People on the History Channel it doesn’t take long for proof of a civilization’s accomplishments to be consumed by Earth through erosion. I can’t recall how far in the future the show actually goes off-hand, but even when they go a mere 1000 years after people, there isn’t much left to show for our existence. Now add even 20,000 years to that, there wouldn’t be much to go on as far as what the civilization had accomplished in their existence or how truly advanced said civilization had actually become. With this notion, the remnants of civilizations of previous existences, that may or may not remain for us to see today, could have stemmed from elaborate intelligent infrastructure from these past civilizations.

An example of these types of structures and remnants:

Ancient Underwater Road Discovered in Wisconsin

and the ever popular…

Bimini Road

…albeit farfetched in my opinion, this…

Who Left Us an Alphabetic Message Over Four Billion Years Old?

The aforementioned is just a theory I have and I am sure of the fact that I have not accounted for multiple variables. Merely suggesting that we think we’re this uber advanced civilization, when in fact we may qualify as mere apes in comparison to civilizations that theoretically could have inhabited this planet many times over, in the same respect, we could appear as Gods to other civilizations that may have inhabited Earth.

Look forward to your thoughts and opinions.

[edit on 2/13/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I thank you for practically reading my mind!

Quick answer. Yes.

When scalar weapons were evolved, the end soon follows.

Here's a hint. If everyone threw their phone away today, then tomorrow there would be a law to have one. That is just the beginning. I will be back. Thank you for the most relevant thing I have seen another person contemplate in days. S & F

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Another great question !

I'll say Yes !

As it is even written in ancient scripture. Like the bible.
The future is already history and history is the future.

Or.

The end of days will be like the days of Noah. ( before the flood ) is more accurate.

The clues around for ancient civilisation were around. They are found in the best way of preserving anything on Earth. Rock !!

Only stone survives for so long !

[edit on 13/2/10 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There is a pretty good book out called Forbidden Archeology...if your truely interested in it then I suggest checking it out.

This topic incidently is a old one here on ATS and in general, but its always a welcomed topic I think.

My theory, intelligent creatures rise up, advance, and either kill each other off, or advance to the point of no longer needing the earth for one reason or another...we (intelligent earth creatures) allow for the cycle to go over and over again, either by letting darwin do its thing, or perhaps even with a bit of help and tayloring...but conceptually, what will humans be doing on earth in a million years from now (assuming we dont kill ourselves).

my idea...energy lifeforms...and we would return the earth back to nature and perhaps even grow and watch yet a new species gain intelligence.

just a neat theory of course.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by SaturnFX]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Interesting that you mention the dinosaurs; they dominated the planet for millions of years, and yet everything we know about them is derived from 800-1200 discovered examples (the number varies based on classifaction methods). Compare that with the number we estimate to exist now (60000 animals, 1 million ish insects) and it becomes obvious that we know nothing about this period.

One of my admittedly crazier ideas (recently supported by UK scientists suggesting that ET may look like us) is that the UFO phenomenon is stranger than we know: regardless of where they are coming from now, some may have started off here.

Member Lunacognita does some fantastic work on YouTube concerning the possibility of artifacts on the moon. The question very quickly becomes who built them.

I've made multiple posts concerning Ooparts and the fact that technological items have been found in rocks too old to contain them. There are tons of interviews from Coast to Coast AM on this idea as well, two of the best are with Micheal Cremo and Jonathan Gray.

As you have said, our species is very young. There is more than enough time over the course of this planet's history for other species to have evolved and died off (or left) with natural processes eliminating all traces.

Sadly, I firmly believe that most of the discovered artifacts that may have survived are either locked up under the Vatican or were simply destroyed by the missionaries who discovered them.

The only evidence in line with this idea that I've heard of recently was the Petrified Human Finger dated to 110 million years old. There is a growing body of evidence though that there are LOTS of sites under water.

Interesting to say the least!

S & F

[edit on 13-2-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
It is theorized that the true age of the earth is about 4.6 billion years old. Source

Should we contemplate the possibility of many Earth planets created exactly that same way over a billion or few billion years worth?

We could call it the Standard Earth Terraformed Initialization.

or SETI for short.

Enjoy

[edit on 13-2-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I would have to say ..yes, we been this route before... legends and ancient history seldom lie...

forget the mistakes and we repeat them.... and here we are.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
There in lies another aspect.

Originally posted by lilwolf

legends and ancient history seldom lie... forget the mistakes and we repeat them....

Past civilizations (e.g. the Maya, Egyptians, and even the Romans in there own right) were notorious for recording their history and the evolution of their civilization. In some form or another, these civilizations made this effort in what seemingly can only be so that their "story" as it were, can last through the ages thus attempting to make future civilizations aware of pertinent historical events throughout.

Which raises the question, could a previous advanced race have left clues to their existence here on Earth and we are just not yet advanced enough to decipher these messages.

I often think of our current civilization's endeavor (or lack there of) to record our history, more so, the way we record it. Very little of what we as a race have accomplished is "in stone", literally. Most of our history as of late has all been transferred to a HD. Should we be all but wiped out, and have to start all over again, what is there for the future civilizations to go off of.

Depending on your view, that may be a good thing. There are many qualities that our civilization posses, and in turn there are plenty of faults. Either way you view it, "our mark" on this planet is not a very deep one.

Originally posted by [davinci]

concerning the possibility of artifacts on the moon. The question very quickly becomes who built them.

So what can our civilization do to make a deep mark on this planet, or solar system for that matter? The ultimate goal of any civilization should be their evolution to greatness what ever that is. Theoretically we're at round 23,000 and we've been K.O.'d in every round so far.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I have to say this is a very interesting thread. S&F for you!

I think that this is true, without a doubt, sooo many civilizations talk about there being "four earths" and this could very well be the start to proving some theories that will turn out to be true. JMO. Oh and the thought is that we're getting ready to enter the fifth round...so hold onto your hats!!! If we do end up getting wiped out in 2012 or nearly wiped out, there will be a lot of people saying"we told you so".

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
With out going on about the information written in the books quoted by people of the Abrahamic religions.

There is much evidence from some writings of people of other parts of the world who have no knowledge of what went on in Mesopotamia.
(Sorry,that was a rant on people who continually quote the bible.)

Some, speak of the many other worlds before our own.They are talking of modern civilizations that existed here on earth.

Millions of years ago.

There are evidence of cataclysms many times not just the flood or the ant of the others.

This planet has transformed it self and cleansed its surface at least 7 times that can be determined.

When the equilibrium of the planets balance get to the tipping point it will do just that.

It will move until it reaches the new equilibrium.

This will cause in some places waters to flood and people will die as what is land becomes water and what is water will be dry.

Then there will be a new north and south.

The earth now is held in its present position in space by the magnetic field which is controlled by the universal magnetic field,But what happens locally on earth determines how often it flips.

Keep on pumping out that oil from the bowels of the earth,we will all find out what its real purpose is.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
With out going on about the information written in the books quoted by people of the Abrahamic religions.

There is much evidence from some writings of people of other parts of the world who have no knowledge of what went on in Mesopotamia.
(Sorry,that was a rant on people who continually quote the bible.)

Some, speak of the many other worlds before our own.They are talking of modern civilizations that existed here on earth.

Millions of years ago.

There are evidence of cataclysms many times not just the flood or the ant of the others.

This planet has transformed it self and cleansed its surface at least 7 times that can be determined.

When the equilibrium of the planets balance get to the tipping point it will do just that.

It will move until it reaches the new equilibrium.

This will cause in some places waters to flood and people will die as what is land becomes water and what is water will be dry.

Then there will be a new north and south.

The earth now is held in its present position in space by the magnetic field which is controlled by the universal magnetic field,But what happens locally on earth determines how often it flips.

Keep on pumping out that oil from the bowels of the earth,we will all find out what its real purpose is.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Oneolddude]

I thought all the ancient texts from other parts of the word said four times, But I certainly don't doubt it could've been as many as seven times. Good stuff, the problem is how can we ever remain in balance, if the same souls are the ones being recyled to infest, errrr, I mean populate the world????

"Keep on pumping out that oil from the bowels of the earth,we will all find out what its real purpose is. "

That last line, that right there, do you know my old man says the very same thing all the time, I bet you'd have lots in common lol. Sad part is, is it's all too true.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Buddha said nothing lasts forever

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

There is a good reason you know. To use the bible as example.

It's save to say. The bible is since about 400 AD not been altered.
Few people aren't familiar with it.

A quote from something else always is more work, providing source etc.
So it's the easy solution.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Iv often wondered about the theory of us being on a constant time loop, that when it reaches a certain point in time, it starts all over again. Because of free will each time is a little bit different.

Atlantis being our future, but also our past. When we hit that certain high point in technology it all ends and thus starts again.

But my honest belief on life, on us, is that we are just living beings, much like animals. When we die thats it. I believe that when you die its the end, but it wont matter to you much because you wont know the after.

Thats not a morbid thing or a bad thing though, I think it means you should really enjoy the now, enjoy your family, your friends, enjoy life. Because I believe its the only chance you will get.

Why wait for the after, when you can really make a difference now.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It would not do us much good but why not put a time capsule on the moon?
It would last longer there than anywhere on earth. Now with that being said would people of the future let the public know about it if any when they find it. But if I though of this then maybe some one in the forgotten past has already did this and our people today are hidding it from us.
The more I think about this the more I think my idea is not a very good one. What do you think?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Great idea but...
Up until about 400mya the complexity of life was extremely simple. There is no way an advanced species and civilisation could have evolved previous to this point in time.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
How technologically advanced were the humans of antiquity? Why does the area of the Harrappa Valley show evidence of possible nuclear explosion? Why does the area believed to be the location of Sodom and Gomorrah show high radiation levels?

What was the composition of the Iron Thunderbolt spoken of in ancient history? Why do civilizations seem to end in war and the plagues brought about by war?

In the ancient Mahabharata, it is written of an awesome war "...(the weapon was) a single projectile charged with all the power of the Universe. An incandescent column of smoke & flame as bright as the thousand suns rose in all it's splendor...An iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death, which reduced to ashes the entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas... the corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. The hair & nails fell out; pottery broke without apparent cause, and the birds turned white...after a few hours all foodstuffs were infected...to escape from this fire, the soldiers threw themselves in streams to wash themselves and their equipment..." This sounds a lot like nuclear bomb and it's after effects to me. References this intense are rare but others may be found in ancient India texts.
www.newciv.org...

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

There is no way an advanced species and civilisation could have evolved previous to this point in time.

On Earth you mean.

It would not do us much good but why not put a time capsule on the moon?

There is more then enough speculation of evidence found or present on the moon.
You are definitly not the only one thinking about it. Search ATS you will find a lot of this subject.

What was the composition of the Iron Thunderbolt spoken of in ancient history? Why do civilizations seem to end in war and the plagues brought about by war?

Does it also turn you in to a salt pillar if yoa look at it ?
Or what looks like it. But only if you look at it.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

I believe you make a valid point. I truly feel with our current technology that we posses we could very well leave a mark of some sort, no matter if it was on the Moon, Mars, or other planets in our solar system. Marking our territory so to speak. If a similar mark was made by past civilizations and withheld from the current civilization I can't for the life of me see why intelligent PTB would withhold information so crucial to the evolution of the species.

Unfortunately, I feel the current PTB lack in the intelligence arena, and I don't mean basic intelligence, more lacking the intelligence that would be required to advance a species to the level of enlightenment that's necessary to evolve in a selfless manner.

Originally posted by Oneolddude
Keep on pumping out that oil from the bowels of the earth

This and money, combined with an apparent inability by our species to just get along with one another and live in harmony, will keep us from ever reaching a goal of this magnitude. It seems more probable that it will ultimately lead to a bad ending on it's current path.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The Earth is 4.6 billion years old.

Here is a picture of its timeline:

Scientists could of course be wrong, but the first hard shelled animals appeared .6 billion years ago. So I think the 26,000 civilisations figure would drastically cut down to less than a quarter.

Just food for thought I guess...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join